2016 A/C Compressor Leak

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I would not go to the dealer for replacement when out of warranty. You can probably get it way cheaper from a shop that specializes in auto AC work.
Do outside car A/C shops carry the R1234YF refrigerant for the 10th gen Civic?

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
So yeah, passenger side of car was blowing at 40 my side 52... car is at the dealer as of today, but the condenser is on national backorder. Curious to see what happens down the road, I asked them if they would be replacing the receiver/dryer and she said no... that's not covered, so the system has been leaking/sucking air for who knows how long, it's always been a very weak AC. Glad I have the Honda Care warranty to 120K or 96 months. Looks like I'm going to be needing it. And judging by the costs, it would pay for itself if the compressor should go out.

Kaybell91

First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civix
Country flag
Hey so I have had issues with my compressor/condenser! Both were replaced. The compressor last year and the condenser last Thursday and still no AC! Brought it back to the dealer yesterday and today they are saying an “O-ring” needs to be replaced. Is this not something they shouldve replaces when they replaced condenser last Thursday??

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey so I have had issues with my compressor/condenser! Both were replaced. The compressor last year and the condenser last Thursday and still no AC! Brought it back to the dealer yesterday and today they are saying an “O-ring” needs to be replaced. Is this not something they shouldve replaces when they replaced condenser last Thursday??
Yes the O rings are on the invoice for my condenser repair.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 A/C Compressor Leak Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.44.13 AM

ahjellming

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4D LX
Country flag
Do outside car A/C shops carry the R1234YF refrigerant for the 10th gen Civic?
From what I was told (by an auto shop owner), most shops don't have the equipment to recharge R1234FY refrigerant because the equipment needed to do the work is upwards of $10k. R1234FY hasn't been widely implemented into other Makes & Models, so the independent auto shops wouldn't see an ROI for years. But that's just what one person told me - I'd definitely call around, because you may save hundreds of dollars compared to going to the dealership.

curtngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Hi! My 2016 Civic A/C went out last year due to a leak in the compressor. My A/C went out again just short of a year later and now I am told that there is a leak in the condenser (which is covered under the new 10 yr warranty), and also a leak in the evaporator (no longer under warranty).
I know that there are many issues with the compressor and condenser, but has any one had issues with the evaporator? I am wondering if the other two issues caused the evaporator to leak. My car is just out of warranty so of course Honda is currently not willing to cover the problem.
I am not looking forward to my A/C going out annually.
Mille217 - any luck with getting Honda to cover the evaporator? I've been into the dealership three times in the last 12 or so months with no a/c. I have a 2016 Civic, with 110k km (65k miles). I was told today that the evaporator is the culprit, needs replacing, and as its not part of the 10yr warranty extension, it'll be nearly $1500 after tax - $900 for the evap unit, and another $525 for an a/c recharge. Then I was told the part is on back order for 4 weeks. Not happy.

Jayzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
2016 Honda Civix EX with 26K miles. A/C not cooling this summer so I took it into the dealership. Out of warranty. They say the compressor is leaking so of course not covered by extended warranty. $1700 for replacement. Even if I try to go somewhere else now I still get stuck with $375 diagnostic fee. Dealer acknowledged this is a common problem but would not budge. Contacted Honda corporate and they were unsympathetic. Very disappointed with my first Honda.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2016 Honda Civix EX with 26K miles. A/C not cooling this summer so I took it into the dealership. Out of warranty. They say the compressor is leaking so of course not covered by extended warranty. $1700 for replacement. Even if I try to go somewhere else now I still get stuck with $375 diagnostic fee. Dealer acknowledged this is a common problem but would not budge. Contacted Honda corporate and they were unsympathetic. Very disappointed with my first Honda.
It should still be covered by warranty since you are still below the 36000 mile marl even though the car is 4 years old.

I think it also boils down on how you approach the corporate people. In my case, they were really helpful and made sure that they stay in constant communication with me particularly my case manager.

Jayzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
It should still be covered by warranty since you are still below the 36000 mile marl even though the car is 4 years old.

I think it also boils down on how you approach the corporate people. In my case, they were really helpful and made sure that they stay in constant communication with me particularly my case manager.
Standard warranty expires at 36 months regardless of mileage.

Jayzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I just called Honda Corporate. First time was via online chat. Gave me the exact same line. Out of warranty, only condenser is covered, etc, etc. Looks like you lucked out.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just called Honda Corporate. First time was via online chat. Gave me the exact same line. Out of warranty, only condenser is covered, etc, etc. Looks like you lucked out.
I emailed them first but called them a couple of days after not getting a reply. A day after I called them, the case manager called me and told me about the goodwill payment that they're doing after reviewing my case. Both compressor and condenser was not covered by warranty anymore. I was quoted $2308 for the parts alone before I reached out to the corporate.

cha12ge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
I'm also have issues with my 2016 civic. 80K miles, 4 years old, so definitely past warranty. The left side blows hot air, right side blow cold air. I also noticed that both sides will blow colder air (though left side never blows cold air) if the car is parked under a shade or if it is not so hot outside. I actually had this problem last year and the year before. First time I went to the Honda dealership they charged me $400 for diagnostic and refilling the coolant I beileve. Then last year I had same issue, but this time they said that it was a condenser issue and it was covered under warranty.

Now a year (and a few months) later I am having the same issues again. I am concerned about going to the dealership again and this time charging me an exorbitant fee for diagnostic only to tell me that its an issue that is not covered and will charge me an arm and a leg. Can anyone advise as to what my options are? Is it better off that I go to an auto shop and get it looked at and fixed?

Attached is receipt of work done that was covered under warranty

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 A/C Compressor Leak civic
Sponsored