2016/2017 Honda Civic Service Bulletins & More

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
new TSB for Oil Dilution in the US @360glitch can you add a18-137 to the OP post.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016/2017 Honda Civic Service Bulletins & More upload_2018-12-23_18-4-54

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016/2017 Honda Civic Service Bulletins & More upload_2018-12-23_18-5-40

Attachments

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Explain for us how the procedure in this TSB should solve the oil dilution issue.

Thanks for the PDF upload, btw.
That's a good question. I took my car in for other issues, and he told me that there's a recall for diluted oil with fuel. First of all, I have the EX-T, not an EX, EX-L, or Touring, so I don't think this recall even applies. Anyways, I asked what caused fuel to mix with oil, he said there was blow-by on the pistons. I thought blow-by was caused by failing piston rings? Maybe because the fuel is delivered on the sides of the piston walls, there is greater chance for fuel to enter the block?

I just did an oil change (90k miles) , oil looked fine.

The symptoms are - Cylinder misfire(s) / Fuel System Too Rich. If you're getting a misfire from leakage, that could mean that - head gasket blown, valve seals blown, piston rings shot. If your fuel system is too rich, means you're not burning all your injected fuel. Meaning, oil is mixing with the fuel, not fuel mixing with oil...

The corrective actions are - Do an oil change, update the software, replace A/C control unit. So how does a unit meant to control the A/C, affect blow-by, or a rich system? Must be something to do with the power consumption of the A/C compressor, which is a closed system, only connected to the engine by the belt that goes to the crank, alt, etc... must be putting some kind of stress on the crank that causes high pressure to wash oil into the combustion chamber? That's a lot of pressure. I hope he doesn't do a recall on my car when it wasn't specified in the service bulletin...

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Explain for us how the procedure in this TSB should solve the oil dilution issue.

Thanks for the PDF upload, btw.
From my little knowledge, they are updating the software which on a cold start would warm the engine faster at a higher rpm. This should help mitigate the cold start short drive that creates the severe oil dilution that goes beyond normal dilution from having a DI turbo car

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
How can I tell if my car is eligible for this TSB? The Honda site shows zero recalls outstanding ('16 Coupe Touring). I'm in PA.

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 chevrolet silverado custom dbl cab
Country flag
How can I tell if my car is eligible for this TSB? The Honda site shows zero recalls outstanding ('16 Coupe Touring). I'm in PA.
Mine doesn't show an open recall on the honda website, but if you go into the dealer just mention it to them and they should be able to tell you. I went in for an unrelated issue today and they mentioned to me that there is a recall for my car and it's this exact TSB.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine doesn't show an open recall on the honda website, but if you go into the dealer just mention it to them and they should be able to tell you. I went in for an unrelated issue today and they mentioned to me that there is a recall for my car and it's this exact TSB.
Because its not a recall. The dealer iN system has the VINs that are eligible so check with your service adviser.

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 chevrolet silverado custom dbl cab
Country flag
Because its not a recall. The dealer iN system has the VINs that are eligible so check with your service adviser.
I suppose in a technical way it is because they told me this morning when I got here that the recall for my car is out and that they'd be doing that before they replace my front axle components today.

Last edited:

rosedraws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 hatchback sport manual
Country flag
I took my car in for an oil change, and the dealer told me there was a recall regarding the software for the a/c. I checked for recalls before I went in, and didn't see any for my car. (2017 hatchback sport manual). Anyone else heard of this?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took my car in for an oil change, and the dealer told me there was a recall regarding the software for the a/c. I checked for recalls before I went in, and didn't see any for my car. (2017 hatchback sport manual). Anyone else heard of this?
Because its not truly a recall, its a product update for oil dilution

deathjam4

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got my hands on the Recall procedure for the dilution issue. All they do is change your oil and update your climate control computer the update is in the ac system and hvac system .. they also reset the throttle position and adapt the idle learn procedures.

So essentially it makes your car idle higher to warm up quicker which also means if you have the heat on it reports you may get warmer air and quicker.
There can be damage caused to the cams due to the dilution as it causes water build up and cause the rocker arm bearings to freeze in colder weather. so if your engine has gotten louder in the heads laterly and you have the recall this is likely the cause of that noise and i would push for them to have the components inspected and replaced.

I would post the process page but i promised I would not post it due to it being a confidential page for honda techs only.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Anyone have a line on a recent TSB for the LX, and possibly other 2L models? A coworker bought his wife a new LX on my recommendation, and three weeks later it was in the shop with a ‘Check Engine’ condition. Three weeks later, and the issue still wasn’t resolved! He said several other cars were at the dealership for the same thing. They ended up giving him a new car but, a week later, told him they’d received a software update fix for that issue.

Haven’t heard or read anything about it, though...
Sponsored