2016 2.0L P0113 IAT high input (temp low)

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
P0113 IAT temp low, current high (18°C, 3.18V) with ambient temp 9°C. My OBD scanner says optimal range is 25-90°C and 1.7-2.8V.

I just completed an oil change and transmission fluid change. I’ve had the car idling on and off the past couple hours while getting it up to temp when doing the trans fluid. The only thing I touched related to the intake is removing the air box to get access to the trans filler plug.

I unplug the MAF and move the wire out of the way, remove the air filter element, tie back the intake tube w/ top of air box, then removed the air box.

When I need to get the fluids back up to temp before the final trans fluid fill, I assemble the air box assembly with filter in it and set it in place, plug in the MAF, and idle the car until it’s up to temp. I made sure everything was assembled and plugged in before starting the car.

I had no error codes throughout all this work. After I buttoned everything up and let the car sit for about 30 minutes, I turned on the car to head out to the gas station and I got 4 DTCs: emissions system (IAT high input), VSA (system error), EPS (system error), and PGM (generic “fault”).

Is there anything that could cause the IAT reading to be low temp (high input)?

I drove around for about 20 minutes and nothing cleared on it’s own. I’ve cleared all the codes and will look at it further in the morning. I have a 1000 mile trip on Sunday so I’m trying to get this resolved tomorrow (Saturday). I appreciate any insight I can get.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Yikes. I can see that you took every precaution and provided a detailed list of the steps in your post.

My first guess would be the air filter. Is it properly fit in the box? Sealing properly? Any crud or oil in the MAF? Etc...

Next... I'd unplug the electrical stuff that you unplugged and inspect for crud/dust. Maybe blow out the contacts with compressed air. I avoid computer duster since they add that crap to discourage huffing.

Maybe inspect the wiring itself to those sensors and look for pinched wires or damage.

I realize that you probably already went through all of the above. I'm just saying it out loud, hopefully, to light a bulb above your head.

Wondering also if there was some sort of weird condensation issue on the MAF that changed when the car sat for the 30 minutes. None of it makes sense in my head other than the typical diagnostic process and general electrical gremlins.

I think you're probably okay and the issues, if real, would trip another code in the future.

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
thanks for the reply. I do have a KN oiled filter, but have been running it for 30k+ miles with no issue. I didn’t have to clean or oil it, I only shook out some junk that was in it.

I’m cautious about junk getting into the intake tube/MAF, but it’s possible. I looked at the MAF briefly and didn’t see anything so didn’t want to dig deeper. I have to avoid using my compressed air on the MAF because I have an oil-lubed compressor that may let oil into the air.

Looking through the service manual troubleshooting, it says to let the vehicle cool for 6+ hours down to ambient temp and then check the IAT reading against ambient temp (should be within 3°C). If that checks out, then heat up the MAF/IAT with a heat gun for a few seconds and verify the IAT reading increases adequately.

I reset all the codes and cleaned the one connector I touched yesterday, looked over the wires, all looks normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Drove for about an hour in total today and everything has been fine. No DTCs and the MAF/IAT are acting normal. Must have been something on the sensor when I fired up the car yesterday.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
LOL that could have been gremlins or aliens, I did have my family in town lol

I am back on the road for a couple hundred miles already today, monitoring my OBD tool and everything is perfect. I was hoping that after 131,000 miles oh the civic was not starting to fall apart lol. I need this to last another 5 years!

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Drove for about an hour in total today and everything has been fine. No DTCs and the MAF/IAT are acting normal. Must have been something on the sensor when I fired up the car yesterday.
If you cycled the key on at all with the MAF disconnected it will cause this code as well.

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
If you cycled the key on at all with the MAF disconnected it will cause this code as well.
I don’t think I did but possible. Didn’t think about that - most likely the cause.
Sponsored