200000 miles. Not as smooth as it once was, what to replace?

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
200k miles? all 4 struts for sure. also check the bushings and ball joints.
Ok. I'll change the struts. They're just so difficult unless using a quickstrut or similar.

And I always think, yeah I'll check bushings, but which bushings and how to check? I mean I can look at it, stick a screwdriver into some, shake a nearby component, put a jack under it, but how do I really know what I'm seeing says to replace it? If it's cracked and falling out, I think I'll find that, but what else to look for?
Sponsored

Jebuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CBP Type R
Country flag
My 8th gen civic started pulling constantly after 120k miles. I had to replace the front right axle and still needed to fix both the tie rods and ball joints before I got tired of it and sold it.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I think with most cars your suspension bushings are going to be pretty worn by 200k, I would start going through all of them to see if any are torn or rotting.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I’d flush the cooling system too at that mileage

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm surprised your wheel bearings haven't gone out yet. A lot of people replacing them by 100k. Might be part of it.

chris7521

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting. I wanted to replace them, but now I definitely will. Do these require being pressed out and in the knuckle? Can't be done on the car?
I think it would be more time an effort to do it on the car. There are guys that do it but, I would pull them off the car and have them pressed in a out at a shop. There is videos online to see what it takes for tools to do it on the car.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Good to know. I was going by my Jeep. I've never had a tie rod end go on any of my Civics before actually.
Unfortunately.. Jeeps are trash in every mechanical aspect, my condolences for you owning one. You literally couldn't GIVE me a Jeep, as I've actually worked on them. And if you wanna keep that/any Jeep, you'll basically need to learn welding too... Cuz they're well known for constantly breaking and stuff.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think with most cars your suspension bushings are going to be pretty worn by 200k, I would start going through all of them to see if any are torn or rotting.
+1

Bushings are one of the most underlooked component on higher mileage cars. Check for any signs of ripples/cracks along the control arms and sway bars. Might be helpful to check the motor mounts while you're at it. GL.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Unfortunately.. Jeeps are trash in every mechanical aspect, my condolences for you owning one. You literally couldn't GIVE me a Jeep, as I've actually worked on them. And if you wanna keep that/any Jeep, you'll basically need to learn welding too... Cuz they're well known for constantly breaking and stuff.
Yeah I'm glad I sold it. Couldn't agree more, piece of junk right from the factory.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
My 8th gen civic started pulling constantly after 120k miles. I had to replace the front right axle and still needed to fix both the tie rods and ball joints before I got tired of it and sold it.
Yikes. Well mine is not that bad in comparison. Doesn't pull. Just seems to not track straight perfectly, but some of it may be due to road conditions and wind.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I’d flush the cooling system too at that mileage
I already bought the Honda coolant. Just need to figure out if I can flush it or just drain from lower radiator and refill. How likely are air pockets in the coolant circuit?

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I'm surprised your wheel bearings haven't gone out yet. A lot of people replacing them by 100k. Might be part of it.
I've read this as well. Seems like a few people said they were trash bearings. Even though I replaced the rear wheel hubs/bearings, it didn't seem to make any difference. But I hope the front show some improvement since it's going to take some effort to replace them.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I think it would be more time an effort to do it on the car. There are guys that do it but, I would pull them off the car and have them pressed in a out at a shop. There is videos online to see what it takes for tools to do it on the car.
Ok. I have a 40 ton press that will do it. Hardest part is getting them off the car.

And this seems like it would be a good time to replace bushings as well. And tie rods. Guess I'll just replace all the stuff I can get to in the front with knuckles removed.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
+1

Bushings are one of the most underlooked component on higher mileage cars. Check for any signs of ripples/cracks along the control arms and sway bars. Might be helpful to check the motor mounts while you're at it. GL.
Are the control arm bushings pressed in, or does it require replacing the whole arm to get a a new bushing? And with sway bars you just mean the end links right?
Sponsored