200000 miles. Not as smooth as it once was, what to replace?

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Just at 200K miles and have new tires, brakes, rotors.

-I replaced the brakes (Akebono) and rotors (Centric) because I had some shake during braking. It was perfect at first, but not after just 5K miles.
-I replaced the tires (Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus), well because they needed it, but after 30K miles they got so loud and made a growling at lower speeds, don't want my new tires (Continental PureContact LS) to end up like those did. Replaced rear wheel bearings. Even replaced lug nuts (Dorman). I rotate the tires about 5-10K miles.
-Some wandering in lane.
-Little bit of vibration when cruising.

Any ideas on what I could replace to improve these things? Was thinking tie rod ends. And bushings, but which ones are suspect and or easy to change? It doesn't bounce, but struts maybe?

No wrecks. Just lots of driving. No complaint about engine or transmission.
Sponsored

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I'd definitely replace all 4 struts. Have you tested the tie rod ends for wear? Easy to do. Lift one front tire in the air, place a hand on 12 position and the other on 6 position. Try to move to move it back and forth. Also do this on the 9 and 3 position, back and forth. Do this for the other front tire.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I'd definitely replace all 4 struts. Have you tested the tie rod ends for wear? Easy to do. Lift one front tire in the air, place a hand on 12 position and the other on 6 position. Try to move to move it back and forth. Also do this on the 9 and 3 position, back and forth. Do this for the other front tire.
How is it taking off and putting the spring onto the strut? That back spring looks close to the strut. Honda parts website shows the front strut is $90 each, and rears $120. So $420, plus spring mounts, dust covers and bump stops. And shipping.

I sometimes half-heartedly do the 12-6 9-3 wiggle test when rotating tires. Mostly it seems fine, but I'll check again. Any movement is bad right?

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
check of alignment and or check for wheel unbalance/bents
Alignment and balance done 3K miles ago with new tires. I'd like to see if wheels are bent, but I've never researched it. I considered just buying new wheels, but I kind of like the OEM wheels and not spending $1K on new wheels.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
How is it taking off and putting the spring onto the strut? That back spring looks close to the strut. Honda parts website shows the front strut is $90 each, and rears $120. So $420, plus spring mounts, dust covers and bump stops. And shipping.

I sometimes half-heartedly do the 12-6 9-3 wiggle test when rotating tires. Mostly it seems fine, but I'll check again. Any movement is bad right?
A little movement is okay. If you hear a clunk, definitely replace.

chris7521

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had the same issue on a previous civic (wandering). Ended up being front wheel bearings. Even though i couldn't feel the looseness by hand. Once apart it was obvious.

TurbSi

First Name
Zdravko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport (6MT)
Country flag
A little movement is okay. If you hear a clunk, definitely replace.
While most of the time that could be true, Honda's specs for suspension play is no visible movement.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
While most of the time that could be true, Honda's specs for suspension play is no visible movement.
Good to know. I was going by my Jeep. I've never had a tie rod end go on any of my Civics before actually.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
200k miles? all 4 struts for sure. also check the bushings and ball joints.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Had the same issue on a previous civic (wandering). Ended up being front wheel bearings. Even though i couldn't feel the looseness by hand. Once apart it was obvious.
Interesting. I wanted to replace them, but now I definitely will. Do these require being pressed out and in the knuckle? Can't be done on the car?

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
So no movement. And what to replace if there is movement? ball joint or tie rods?
Sponsored