merdog

First Name
Merlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys, I know this may sound funny. My pops (dad) was telling me he bought a catch can for his truck and he installed it, and I was wondering if I should put it on my car? He ordered it off Amazon the number on the part is, HT8005-S. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP

merdog

First Name
Merlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys, I know this may sound funny. My pops (dad) was telling me he bought a catch can for his truck and he installed it, and I was wondering if I should put it on my car? He ordered it off Amazon the number on the part is, HT8005-S. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Thank you!
I have a 2019 Si, Ktuned, ACT Clutch 6 puck rigid, I was gonna put more performance parts on, I just don't know if it is worth it to bother right now? I have it already.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Nah don’t need it

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
If you want go ahead.. there’s threads explaining it. Oem pcv is good enough. Also I wouldn’t put a cheap 20 part that probably doesn’t work probably. If you really want to get a catch can get one that is specifically for your car.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Mishimoto sells catch cans for SI.
The only thing which I don’t like about it is that one of the hoses is rubbing about fuel line... but bunch of guys run it and there was no issues for them so far...
As mentioned earlier there is a bunch of threads, people pretty much devoted about it...

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Glad there is a thread for this. As I’m kinda blind in this topic and hear mixed stuff, does anyone know if a good catch can could prolong engine life ? I do hear some of our 1.5 motors can have gas in the oil or something, I don’t know how to even tell if that’s happening to be honest. Just like how I’m on phearable now lol and it’s cold out 30 degrees , and my gas mileage went from 32 mpg to 28 granted I’m not driving on the highway as much it’s all back roads but still back on tsp it was always 32 now it’s 28 kinda weird. I hope it’s not a faulty injector or something but once again don’t know how to check that with out pulling stuff apart ( which lately I’m lazy and don’t want to do )

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Glad there is a thread for this. As I’m kinda blind in this topic and hear mixed stuff, does anyone know if a good catch can could prolong engine life ? I do hear some of our 1.5 motors can have gas in the oil or something, I don’t know how to even tell if that’s happening to be honest. Just like how I’m on phearable now lol and it’s cold out 30 degrees , and my gas mileage went from 32 mpg to 28 granted I’m not driving on the highway as much it’s all back roads but still back on tsp it was always 32 now it’s 28 kinda weird. I hope it’s not a faulty injector or something but once again don’t know how to check that with out pulling stuff apart ( which lately I’m lazy and don’t want to do )
I believe your dip in gas mileage is due to winter gas and colder temps resulting in longer idle times at startup. I'm also on Pherarable tune and my mileage had dipped from ~35mpgs to ~32mpgs. I It's also like 20-40 degs F here, so similar temp conditions. I made sure my tires are inflated properly, but I might clean my intake filter out too (27won CAI for past 7 months)

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
The purpose of a catch can is to prevent oil vapor let off by the PCV valve from being recirculated back into the intake.

Back with port fuel injection, it didn't matter if the PCV let a little oil vapor from under the valve cover recirculate, because the fuel injectors were in the intake manifold. Fuel being spayed into the intake ports was enough to keep the intake ports and valves clean.

On direct injection motors, you no longer have the fuel cleaning up the intake tract because the fuel is instead sprayed directly into the cylinders. So DI motors with less-than-perfect PCV systems would end up with nasty carbon deposits on their intake valves from that oil blow-by. Running a catch can would prevent this.

I don't feel like tracking down the threads, but basically the valve cover on the L15B7 is a very effective air-oil separator where there's little to no oil vapor blowing out the PCV, which makes a catch can unnecessary.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
I believe your dip in gas mileage is due to winter gas and colder temps resulting in longer idle times at startup. I'm also on Pherarable tune and my mileage had dipped from ~35mpgs to ~32mpgs. I It's also like 20-40 degs F here, so similar temp conditions. I made sure my tires are inflated properly, but I might clean my intake filter out too (27won CAI for past 7 months)
Ugh lucky haha the cobra cold air race maf intake isn’t up close to the bay it’s in my wheel well and even though I did the install I didn’t enjoy removing those panels to get to the filter I’ll clean mine eventually but since it’s dinclosed in there I doubt mine is that gunked up twisting my fingers haha

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
The purpose of a catch can is to prevent oil vapor let off by the PCV valve from being recirculated back into the intake.

Back with port fuel injection, it didn't matter if the PCV let a little oil vapor from under the valve cover recirculate, because the fuel injectors were in the intake manifold. Fuel being spayed into the intake ports was enough to keep the intake ports and valves clean.

On direct injection motors, you no longer have the fuel cleaning up the intake tract because the fuel is instead sprayed directly into the cylinders. So DI motors with less-than-perfect PCV systems would end up with nasty carbon deposits on their intake valves from that oil blow-by. Running a catch can would prevent this.

I don't feel like tracking down the threads, but basically the valve cover on the L15B7 is a very effective air-oil separator where there's little to no oil vapor blowing out the PCV, which makes a catch can unnecessary.
Awesome awesome response sir thank you ! Just saved me some money much appreciate you I do -YODA

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh lucky haha the cobra cold air race maf intake isn’t up close to the bay it’s in my wheel well and even though I did the install I didn’t enjoy removing those panels to get to the filter I’ll clean mine eventually but since it’s dinclosed in there I doubt mine is that gunked up twisting my fingers haha
Lol gotta love that easy access ?!

I had an AEM CAI in my last car (05 TL 6mt), and it was a hassle to clean the filter too. Your cobra CAI filter might actually dirtier quicker than the 27Won CAI since it's not in a secondary box - it's just exposed at the end of the tube. I'd clean it 2x/year. I just bought K&N synthetic filter cleaner to clean mines this week!

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Lol gotta love that easy access ?!

I had an AEM CAI in my last car (05 TL 6mt), and it was a hassle to clean the filter too. Your cobra CAI filter might actually dirtier quicker than the 27Won CAI since it's not in a secondary box - it's just exposed at the end of the tube. I'd clean it 2x/year. I just bought K&N synthetic filter cleaner to clean mines this week!
That stuff work good ?,

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That stuff work good ?,
It's what 27won recommends for their filter because they use a dry air filter (no oil).

I believe PRL uses an oiled filter. K&N also makes a cleaner for oiled filters. You'd also have to reapply the oil after cleaning it, which I believe K&N also makes. I've used their stuff on other cars with oiled, reusable filters in the past.

This kit comes with the cleaner and the oil made for cotton filters: https://www.knfilters.com/99-5050bk-filter-care-service-kit-squeeze-black
Sponsored