Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi!
So from what I can see, it seems like the front ones are a direct swap, but it's looking like the rears would require some modification? I've tried to dig and see what kind of modification or how extensive but I can't seem to find an actual answer to that... Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I really like the way the newer ones look and am trying to figure out if I should proceed with buying and swapping out all four or keeping it as is.
Thank you all in advance! :)
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the 20+ rear vents have more depth vs the 17-19s.
so, in order to fit them you have to cut out the bumper area behind the vents so the 20+ ones can fit.

the vents are pretty expensive for what it is though ....

OP
OP
Smilo359

Smilo359

First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so, in order to fit them you have to cut out the bumper area behind the vents so the 20+ ones can fit.

oh ok, that doesn't sounds too bad - especially if it's not something that you'd be able to see once it's all put together... they are indeed quite pricey....

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
you dont need anything special to cut. and yes, nothing is visible once the vents are in place.

i just used an exacto knife and heated up the blade using a heat gun. the plastic is thin so it cuts through it like butter once the blade is hot.

before cutting:
Honda Civic 10th gen 20-21 Fake Vents on a 2019 1628003656166

after cutting:
Honda Civic 10th gen 20-21 Fake Vents on a 2019 1628003630110

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

For the 19s you don't have to cut anything. The are deep enough. The 17's-18's you do have to cut.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
For the 19s you don't have to cut anything. The are deep enough. The 17's-18's you do have to cut.
that depends on the build date. the early 19s are still produced with the earlier bumper and the later 19s were produced with the "new" bumper which has a recessed areas

OP
OP
Smilo359

Smilo359

First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you dont need anything special to cut. and yes, nothing is visible once the vents are in place.

i just used an exacto knife and heated up the blade using a heat gun. the plastic is thin so it cuts through it like butter once the blade is hot.

before cutting:
1628003656166.png

after cutting:
1628003630110.png
oh wow!! thank you so much for including those photos, that's going to help a lot!

OP
OP
Smilo359

Smilo359

First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that depends on the build date. the early 19s are still produced with the earlier bumper and the later 19s were produced with the "new" bumper which has a recessed areas
well of course mine is a 19 so it could be either or hahaha I'm not sure of the build date of mine but I bought it in september of 2019 so that makes me think is from the earlier ones

ok so here comes a stupid question... do i have to take the rear bumper off to do it? the front bumper will already be off because i'll be swapping out headlights so might as well do those at the same time. but i'll probably have to take the rear bumper off also, right?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
well of course mine is a 19 so it could be either or hahaha I'm not sure of the build date of mine but I bought it in september of 2019 so that makes me think is from the earlier ones

ok so here comes a stupid question... do i have to take the rear bumper off to do it? the front bumper will already be off because i'll be swapping out headlights so might as well do those at the same time. but i'll probably have to take the rear bumper off also, right?
i am unsure of what build date has the new one or not. I just know that there are 19s with the "old" bumper and there are 19s with the "new" one.

you dont HAVE to remove the rear to do it but it would make your life hell of a lot easier if you do. Especially when it only takes like 5 mins to remove bumper.

i opted to do mine without removing it because i have a varis diffuser on it which has to be removed to take off bumper and i was not down to do that.

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag

Easier to do with the bumper cover off of the car. Once you get used to taking it off, it's really no big deal. The rear vents are about $80.00 each iirc? I swapped them out on my previous 2017 STH.

OP
OP
Smilo359

Smilo359

First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i am unsure of what build date has the new one or not. I just know that there are 19s with the "old" bumper and there are 19s with the "new" one.

you dont HAVE to remove the rear to do it but it would make your life hell of a lot easier if you do. Especially when it only takes like 5 mins to remove bumper.

i opted to do mine without removing it because i have a varis diffuser on it which has to be removed to take off bumper and i was not down to do that.
oh i didn't realize the bumper comes off that easily, i was thinking it might be a pain in the ass to take off. does the front one come off easily too? (seemed simple enough on my old hatch but haven't tried it on the R yet)

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
oh i didn't realize the bumper comes off that easily, i was thinking it might be a pain in the ass to take off. does the front one come off easily too? (seemed simple enough on my old hatch but haven't tried it on the R yet)
rear is just two screws each on the side and 2 allen on the center with just plastic clips underneath. Its very easy.

front bumper is basically like the old hatch. a few more pop clips maybe but its simple. just time consuming.

OP
OP
Smilo359

Smilo359

First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
rear is just two screws each on the side and 2 allen on the center with just plastic clips underneath. Its very easy.

front bumper is basically like the old hatch. a few more pop clips maybe but its simple. just time consuming.
awesome, that's definitely good to hear. dude, thank you so much, you've been very informative! :)

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
how do you find out if it's an earlier built 19 or later?
Sponsored