2 Years Later... New Si Owner (Finally)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
After talking and obsessing over a new car purchase for two years, I finally scored a decent deal on an outgoing 2017 Si. My plan was to hold until end of year. But pricing was too good to pass up.

Up until this week, my daily driver was a 2009 Mazdaspeed3. Before that, a 00 Si. I picked up the MS3 with 8 miles on the odometer with the intention of keeping 10 years for a growing family. Back then, turbo direct injection was relatively new in mass produced cars. But everything else about the Mazda had a fairly good track record. It wasn't until I hit 100K that I started having more frequent issues. Mostly involving the DI powertrain. The most devastating was the aggressive oil consumption from carb deposits.

In my hunt for the "perfect" family car, my criteria was pretty simple:
  • Must haves:
    • 6MT
    • Room for a growing family
    • Fun/sporty
    • Low cost of ownership
  • Nice to haves:
    • Sunroof
    • Factory HID/LEDs
I cross-shopped the Si with the following:
  • Accord Sport
  • Civic Hatch Sport
  • Civic Sedan EX-T
  • GTI Sport/SE
  • Focus ST-2
  • WRX Premium
  • And just for fun... the Elantra Sport.
Unfortunately, I drive too many miles to consider a lease, many used cars, or higher priced cars with sharper depreciation.

I discovered that every car had their charm for one reason or another. And had I not wanted to keep long term, the GTI would have been the clear winner. But the Si came out ahead when I factored price, features, ergonomics, driving experience, passenger volume, and long term projected cost of ownership. It's not the fastest. Nor is it the most refined. But it offers an unbeatable blend of practicality and performance for the price. The extra bits like the adaptive suspension and keyless entry were icing on the cake.

I've only put 170 miles on the car but I absolutely love it. The high points for me are the precision short throw shifter, composed & confident bi-mode suspension, bolstered & supportive front seats, 360* driver visibility, smart entry, and front/side profile styling. The low points have been a few issues with the body panel alignment, navigating the infotainment, "excessively plastic" rear door panels, and a relatively mute growl from the exhaust. To be fair, I expect the exhaust will get more pronounced after 500-1000 miles. And the dealer network's body shop will be addressing the panel gaps this Monday.

I'll plan to give a more in-depth review once I get past the break-in period. For now, I'll keep looking for excuses to drive. Thanks for reading. :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2 Years Later... New Si Owner (Finally) 20170824_175818

Honda Civic 10th gen 2 Years Later... New Si Owner (Finally) 20170823_145320

Honda Civic 10th gen 2 Years Later... New Si Owner (Finally) 20170824_172652

Last edited:
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
Nice write up!! I am right there with you on the selections and hard choices. I am coming from a 99 Si and really dont want to give her up as she is in excellent condition and i took care of her. But I really want to get into something newer. I love turbo power and have driven the Si twice already. I am now looking for an Si with no miles as in 3-5 miles at the dealers. And trying to get a good price. I am looking for atleast 2k under MSRP.

Thanks for the info, it is making my final decision easier.

KnoxTn17Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
After talking and obsessing over a new car purchase for two years, I finally scored a decent deal on an outgoing 2017 Si. My plan was to hold until end of year. But pricing was too good to pass up.

Up until this week, my daily driver was a 2009 Mazdaspeed3. Before that, a 00 Si. I picked up the MS3 with 8 miles on the odometer with the intention of keeping 10 years for a growing family. Back then, turbo direct injection was relatively new in mass produced cars. But everything else about the Mazda had a fairly good track record. It wasn't until I hit 100K that I started having more frequent issues. Mostly involving the DI powertrain. The most devastating was that it burned oil due from excessive carb deposits.

• Must haves:
    • 6MT
    • Fun/sporty
    • Low cost of ownership
  • Nice to haves:
    • Sunroof
    • Factory HID/LEDs
  • Accord Sport
  • Civic Hatch Sport
  • Civic Sedan EX-T
  • GTI Sport/SE
  • Focus ST-2
  • WRX Premium
Unfortunately, I drive too many miles to consider a lease, many used cars, or higher priced cars with sharper depreciation.

I discovered that every car had their charm for one reason or another. And had I not wanted to keep long term, the GTI would have been the clear winner. But the Si came out ahead when I factored price, features, ergonomics, driving experience, passenger volume, and long term projected cost of ownership. It's not the fastest. Nor is it the most refined. But it offers an unbeatable blend of practicality and performance for the price. The extra bits like the adaptive suspension and keyless entry were icing on the cake.

I've only put 170 miles on the car but I absolutely love it. The high points for me are the precision short throw shifter, composed & confident bi-mode suspension, bolstered & supportive front seats, 360* driver visibility, smart entry, and front/side profile styling. The low points have been a few issues with the body panel alignment, navigating the infotainment, "excessively plastic" rear door panels, and a relatively mute growl from the exhaust. To be fair, I expect the exhaust will get more pronounced after 500-1000 miles. And the dealer network's body shop will be addressing the panel gaps this Monday.

I'll plan to give a more in-depth review once I get past the break-in period. For now, I'll keep looking for excuses to drive. Thanks for reading. :cool:

20170824_175818.jpg

20170823_145320.jpg

20170824_172652.jpg
Good choice in car and color :thumbsup: Congratulations

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag

Up until this week, my daily driver was a 2009 Mazdaspeed3. Before that, a 00 Si. I picked up the MS3 with 8 miles on the odometer with the intention of keeping 10 years for a growing family. Back then, turbo direct injection was relatively new in mass produced cars. But everything else about the Mazda had a fairly good track record. It wasn't until I hit 100K that I started having more frequent issues. Mostly involving the DI powertrain. The most devastating was the aggressive oil consumption from carb deposits.

• Must haves:
    • 6MT
    • Fun/sporty
    • Low cost of ownership
  • Nice to haves:
    • Sunroof
    • Factory HID/LEDs
  • Accord Sport
  • Civic Hatch Sport
  • Civic Sedan EX-T
  • GTI Sport/SE
  • Focus ST-2
  • WRX Premium

20170824_175818.jpg

20170823_145320.jpg

20170824_172652.jpg
I also was torn between the Accord Sport and the Si Sedan.

The better handling and more features for less money made the Si win me over

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Get Ktuner/Hondata and add an oil catch can just in case of future DI deposit issues. Enjoy!

Seems to be about all most Civics need - even if you don't get a custom tune, there's a ton of extra power to be had for cheap, and the oil catch can is for peace of mind especially for us that put a ton of miles on our rides.

As much as I perfer hatchbacks - I think for your growing family the little bit of extra legroom in the sedan is nice to have too.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Design Congratulations. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Planning on driving it to the high 200k miles. And the sedan option made is so much more attractive. I too have family in the back of my head in the near future. Didn't want to buy a higher performance coupe and have to trade it in or sell to get a more "boring" family vehicle. Now the lady won't have excuses. Plus the next vehicle down the road can enter the actual high performance range with no excuses from the missus. :) Again, have fun. And don't mod it till you pay it off. Don't need a tune to enjoy the vehicle I think.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
About time Design. I was giving up hope...:p

blkfa5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Si (sold), 2003 WRX (sold), 2017 Sidan
Country flag
Congrats on your new purchase! Deciding between the blue or grey

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Design Congratulations. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Planning on driving it to the high 200k miles. And the sedan option made is so much more attractive. I too have family in the back of my head in the near future. Didn't want to buy a higher performance coupe and have to trade it in or sell to get a more "boring" family vehicle. Now the lady won't have excuses. Plus the next vehicle down the road can enter the actual high performance range with no excuses from the missus. :) Again, have fun. And don't mod it till you pay it off. Don't need a tune to enjoy the vehicle I think.
All I've done is window tint and all weather floor mats.

I think that's it

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Finally, you pulled the trigger on the Si. Congratulations! Very excited for you. :thumbsup:

cryptkeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si, '14 Corolla S, '13 Rav4
Country flag
Welcome to the club. She's a great car and you'll love her.

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats! I bought a brand new 2007 Mazdaspeed6 10 years ago (and had it for about 7 years, then a Wrangler, now my Si). The Speed6 was fun and the AWD was nice, but got rid of it before it could cause me problems. 3600+ miles so far on the Si and it's been perfect. You're going to love it!

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats! I was wondering if you'd ever snatch one haha ;)
Sponsored