Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Just purchased a 2021 Boost Blue Type R in what will be 2 weeks this upcoming Monday. So far the car feels great but I have been very paranoid since its my first brand new car but I was hoping you guys would be able to clear some things up for me. When driving in any gear there's a faint whistle whenever I let off the throttle and it goes away as soon as it give it gas but no matter what it always whistles when the RPMs are dropping in any gear, any ideas what it could be? Issue number 2 might just be the paranoia but anyways, 2 or 3 times in the past week when driving I feel like I have heard either metal rattling or today it sounded like plastic hit something in the back as I was entering a parking lot. It usually makes a rattling sound of some sort after I go over a bump then it'll rattle for a few seconds and its fine. I realize you hear a lot of outside noise in this car and maybe I am just not used to it yet and very paranoid but has anyone else had these issues?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2 week old 2021 Type R Image-14
Sponsored

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'd say paranoid dude, the whistling noise is your transmission gears, which is normal. I assume you only hear it if there is no radio noise in the car? The wind noise, well, it's a Civic at base and the type-r has more power, not more refinement on the comfortability scale so the wind noises are at the same level on all Civics. They are not well sound-proofed at all. My Suzuki SX4 was at least twice as quiet as this car. The rattle is probably the hatch rattling, which, as much as it sucks to say, has been normal for me for the past almost 2 years of owning my hatch. Being a hatch, you hear a lot more of what's going in the back than a sedan with the back seat and rear window hiding what's going on in the trunk.

I wouldn't worry too much about the noises you're hearing. Nice color choice btw.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
New car - new noises - give yourself a few weeks in a new car to decide what is normal and what is not. I am betting you are super sensitive to the added exhaust sound - try disconnecting that and see if you have removed that noise that concerns you. (it's easy to reconnect if you liked it)

Enjoy the car they are special!

OP
OP
Smurf 40611

Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
New car - new noises - give yourself a few weeks in a new car to decide what is normal and what is not. I am betting you are super sensitive to the added exhaust sound - try disconnecting that and see if you have removed that noise that concerns you. (it's easy to reconnect if you liked it)

Enjoy the car they are special!
I will try disconnecting it, thanks.

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
Happy I found this thread, I also just got my 2021 Civic Type R a few weeks ago and are hearing the same things you are! Whenever I accelerate I actually hear a slight buzzing noise and when I let off the gas I hear the same thing that you mentioned as well. Gonna have one of the techs at the dealership go on a ride with me next week just to make sure I'm not paranoid (which I probably am lol)

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
It's entirely normal. It's the turbo waste gate that whistles. It's a metalic whistle sound and only on deceleration.
Ahh ok that makes sense! Thanks so much for clearing that up

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
whenever I let off the throttle and it goes away as soon as it give it gas but no matter what it always whistles when the RPMs are dropping in any gear, any ideas what it could be?
If it’s like a metal ringing when you come off the throttle, that’s the electronic wastegate actuator. You can wiggle it and hear the kind of sound it makes. It’s normal and one of the few drawbacks of the car.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2 week old 2021 Type R 5202BEEB-52FE-4B93-9F52-CDB4212D6B5A

OP
OP
Smurf 40611

Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
It's entirely normal. It's the turbo waste gate that whistles. It's a metallic whistle sound and only on deceleration. My SI and my Type R both had it.
Thank you for the reply, that makes sense. I was more worried about the scraping i heard a few times which sounds like it comes from the back end after going over a bump but then it stops after a few seconds of driving normally.

OP
OP
Smurf 40611

Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Check in the trunk compartment under the floor matting that they didn't leave anything loose during their dealership checks. I believe there's a run flat sort of kit in the back end, so they may have incorrectly put it in and it's jumping around over bumps.
yeah i've seen it before but it sounded more like metal scraping so i don't think it would have been that unfortunately

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
What everyone says; this is a Civic. It's a damn fine Civic, and a very special car, but in the end it's built on an economy car platform. It can take some getting used to if like me you came from a late model Audi, which is like whisper quiet inside and built like a bank vault. Or if you don't have anything to compare it to, and are sort of thinking hey, it's a new car, it should be perfect or something.

I've owned several Golfs, several Fords, etc. and every car in this general class of vehicles has these sorts of sounds. Goes with the territory. Light car, power, econobox platform, you get the picture.
Sponsored