2.0L vs 1.5L Turbo

1badsup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
The engine on both 2l and 1.5l are both quiet and smooth. It's just as quiet as the 1.8L Audi A4 turbo. I've driven a twin turbo supra and a modified single turbo supra and those are loud. Not only do you hear the turbo kick in, you also feel it. On a sequential twin turbo, the first turbo kicks in at 2500 and the second one at 4500 rpm.
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2.0 coupe is quiet until you kick it in to speed up, then it really growls. Doesn't bother me though, because I rarely have to speed up fast. Maybe every once in a while merging on the highway.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
My 2.0 feels good to me. Sounds like it's got quieter since I got it, but that may just be my imagination. Got better "oomph" than my 9th gen did. I can't speak for the 1.5T, I haven't drove one. I don't like turbos, and a turbo coupled with a CVT seems kinda pointless to me. To each his own though.
not sure what you mean about CVT plus turbo being pointless. I think the 'point' is to achieve a combination of mpg and measurable performance by offering the drivetrain engineers some knobs to fiddle with.

Anyway, I've got two turbos now but they couldn't be more different. My 2003 Jetta manual Diesel has 265k miles on it an very literally I've done nothing... absolutely nothing to the turbo or related parts. haven't even cleaned the intercooler, replaced a MAF, adjusted the actuator...nothing. Not everyone is so lucky but on a Diesel I think a turbo can be fine.

I've driven both 2.0 and 1.5T and I do think the 2.0 has a smoother and more natural feeling power delivery. I have to guess the slight oddity I feel sometimes in the 1.5 could be caused by turbo lag.

On the Diesel there doesn't seem to be any turbo lag. I'm not positive but I think the Diesel is better at delivering torque at the start without the turbo - with the turbo only being required for peak power. On the 1.5T honda engine perhaps the turbo _is_ necessary for making torque off the line and this is why there can be some lag.

I don't drive aggressively but may take advantage of power once in a great while to pass something slow on a 2-lane. For that reason I like having the peak HP available.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not sure what you mean about CVT plus turbo being pointless.
It's pointless to me...."to me". From my experience, the only time a turbo was really beneficial was when it was coupled with a MT. That way you could get the most out of it. Plus, seems to me a turbo could damage a CVT over a little time. Ya know, it causing the engine to spool up faster than the CVT has time to react properly. I may be wrong. Either way, my turbo days are behind me.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
This is the third turbo car I've owned. The first being a Subaru WRX and the other one was an Audi Alroad with a twin turbo 6 cyl. The CVT in the Honda works surprisingly well in this car. If you keep the car below 3k rpm you rarely even engage the turbo to its full potential. I'm looking forward to driving this car in the Rockies in the late summer. My car will probably have no issues ascending the 13,000 foot mountain passes. I'm sure the NA 2.0 would be wheezing up the hill!!! Loving this turbo and its passing power.

NotYrGrndMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
This is the third turbo car I've owned. The first being a Subaru WRX and the other one was an Audi Alroad with a twin turbo 6 cyl. The CVT in the Honda works surprisingly well in this car. If you keep the car below 3k rpm you rarely even engage the turbo to its full potential. I'm looking forward to driving this car in the Rockies in the late summer. My car will probably have no issues ascending the 13,000 foot mountain passes. I'm sure the NA 2.0 would be wheezing up the hill!!! Loving this turbo and its passing power.
I've driven my EX-T through the Blue Ridge/Smokey mountains (I-40 and I-26) and it is a blast! My only recommendation is when you go uphill make sure ECO is off. Sport mode doesn't do a lot for you on the highways either - I kept mine in drive and still had no issues passing and it hugged the curves. Chicago to Jacksonville also averaged 42 mph one trip and 38 mph the second. Can't argue with great gas mileage and passing power!

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I've driven my EX-T through the Blue Ridge/Smokey mountains (I-40 and I-26) and it is a blast! My only recommendation is when you go uphill make sure ECO is off. Sport mode doesn't do a lot for you on the highways either - I kept mine in drive and still had no issues passing and it hugged the curves. Chicago to Jacksonville also averaged 42 mph one trip and 38 mph the second. Can't argue with great gas mileage and passing power!
The elevation there is not going to compromise the car's performance. It's when you are driving over 10,000 feet that the car feels anemic. I once drove a Nissan Pathfinder up Eisenhower pass and barely was able to achieve 55 mph. This is where the turbo shines. Don't get me wrong. The Honda 2.0 is probably the best in class.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The elevation there is not going to compromise the car's performance. It's when you are driving over 10,000 feet that the car feels anemic. I once drove a Nissan Pathfinder up Eisenhower pass and barely was able to achieve 55 mph. This is where the turbo shines. Don't get me wrong. The Honda 2.0 is probably the best in class.
Anything less than 5k feet above sea level is not going to do much. I heard that roughly every 1,000 feet above sea level you roughly lose about 1-2% in power on a NA. So at 10,000 you lose quite a bit but less than that its not too big of a hit.

charlesrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.charlesrocketphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Is the battery for the 1.5 L different than the 2.0 L? Think I just bought an undersized battery for my 2.0 L 2017 EX. The batter is used and it came form a Civic type R which is 1.5L I believe. The battery is the same size but is says 450 CA. The original battery had 550CCA, and new replacements have 650CCA from the dealer. Am I to expect this battery to die early>?
Sponsored