2.0L vs 1.5L exhaust sound

sunny786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda CRV
Anyone has noticed the difference of both engines' exhaust sound. Or no difference at all?
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
The 1.5L Turbo's engine has the distinct direct injection high pressure pump click, click, click. A lot less pronounced than my 3.5L EcoBoost but still there.

The exhaust note sounds good from the inside but I haven't really paid much attention to it as it's so quiet. Also still breaking it in so the full throttle out of the hole launches are still a little ways out. You definitely hear the growl when you stomp on it a little though, a lot more throaty than my old Civic's 1.8L engine. Sorry I can't compare directly to the 2.0L. There are many videos on YouTube you can check out.

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Can you actually hear the exhaust note from the inside if you're not trying to listen for it? I keep reading about how quiet they made the new Civic.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I haven't had a chance to hear both in person but turbos usually have worse sounding exhaust sounds.

The turbocharger absorb most of the exhaust energy (sound) since it relies on that energy to spool up.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Can you actually hear the exhaust note from the inside if you're not trying to listen for it? I keep reading about how quiet they made the new Civic.
I can honestly say that with the music on I rarely hear the exhaust unless I stomp on it and purposely listen for it. Engine noise is more pronounced and I do hear it though as long as the climate control fan is not turned up too high.

Izze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ILX
I can honestly say that with the music on I rarely hear the exhaust unless I stomp on it and purposely listen for it. Engine noise is more pronounced and I do hear it though as long as the climate control fan is not turned up too high.
With how much Honda was touting how much quieter and insulated the new Civic is on the inside, I woulda been surprised you can hear the exhaust much from the interior.

Sunny786: are you asking how the exhaust sounds from the inside or from the outside?

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
You know, it really doesn't sound too bad. It doesn't have the whine that some small turbo engines have and I did hear the grunt that HondaPro Jason mentioned on start up.

Off topic but another interesting thing from the TFLC video... Jason seemed adamant that both the Si and Type R will only come with manual transmissions. Good news that they're not sticking a CVT in the Si but I bet there will be some disappointed people that the Si will not have an auto option.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I for one would be disappointed not to see the Acura DCT in at least the Si.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
You know, it really doesn't sound too bad. It doesn't have the whine that some small turbo engines have and I did hear the grunt that HondaPro Jason mentioned on start up.

Off topic but another interesting thing from the TFLC video... Jason seemed adamant that both the Si and Type R will only come with manual transmissions. Good news that they're not sticking a CVT in the Si but I bet there will be some disappointed people that the Si will not have an auto option.
Props to Honda if they stick to tradition and go manual only on the Si and Type R. What a purist stance that would be. They know they'd be leaving lots of extra sales on the table by doing so.

About the exhaust. It woulda sounded even louder from the outside if it wasn't so tucked under the car. But whole reason the exhaust tips don't show on the Civic is to give the car a green image so I doubt they cared that the exhaust doesn't sound as loud or good by being hidden.

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
I'm sure Honda can make it sound louder but that's just not what most Civic buyers want, save for enthusiasts. The Si is going to have 3 exposed exhaust tips isn't it (or is that only the Type R)?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I'm sure Honda can make it sound louder but that's just not what most Civic buyers want, save for enthusiasts. The Si is going to have 3 exposed exhaust tips isn't it (or is that only the Type R)?
Yeah I think it is the CTR we have seen with the 3 exhausts.
Hell, Honda has done a perfect job of blacking out the Si, we never see spy shots of the Si but we see a few of the CTR at several stages of development. Makes me wonder if they are going to do a carry-over drivetrain from the CivicIX Si, since they wouldn't have much need to mule test a carry-over. Or worse, maybe the "Si" of this gen will just be the only way to get a manual 1.5T?? Now that I think of it, the lack of Si mules worries me!

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Hell, Honda has done a perfect job of blacking out the Si, we never see spy shots of the Si but we see a few of the CTR at several stages of development. Makes me wonder if they are going to do a carry-over drivetrain from the CivicIX Si, since they wouldn't have much need to mule test a carry-over. Or worse, maybe the "Si" of this gen will just be the only way to get a manual 1.5T?? Now that I think of it, the lack of Si mules worries me!
At this point since the 2016 sedan is out already and in public, they might even be testing the the Si model in plain sight using standard model bodies without camouflage or any other covering. People seeing one of these prototypes would have to be eagle eyed to spot a lower suspension. Even different Si wheels would probably go undetected if the car didn't wear any camo. Any upgrades under the hood couldn't be seen. The only thing that would probably be hard to hide is an exhaust system with tips showing.
Sponsored