2.0L k20c2 Hose Leak....Help!

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX 2.0L CVT
Country flag
Just finished some regular maintenance and noticed a slightly “sweet” burning smell after some driving. After further inspection, i noticed a hose leaking which is connected to the throttle body(see below)
Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L k20c2 Hose Leak....Help! 28F2B072-01D5-4C9B-B9D1-328BAD3F54E5

I have previously installed a throttle body spacer which has in turn pushed that hose up against the reservoir above it. Seems as if over time, the friction has worn the hose down on the connection causing a leak.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L k20c2 Hose Leak....Help! 6F69E969-D345-4ABC-9550-8D961E35A98F

Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L k20c2 Hose Leak....Help! 9B30F64F-1C98-440E-9D79-746636A56295
Im very unfamiliar with these hoses, but it looks as if that is coolant spattered over the internal (blue fluid). Ive placed a bit of firm foam between for now.
Could someone please advise as to exactly what that hose is and does? And if i need to be careful replacing it as far as levels and pressure goes?
Thanks!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the hose has a lot of slack (you look like you'll lose about 1") ... you can disconnect it... cut it back just on the other side of the wear spot and put it back on the hard pipe. If not... replace. Make sure you recheck your coolant levels... You'll likely lose a little bit on that horizontal run of hard pipe when you disconnect. Do it cold... these systems are pressurized hot. Good on you to give it a look when you smelled something. I don’t have a K20C2 engine so I can’t back you up to guesstimate how much slack you might have. It shouldn’t be too tight as everything ought to have some play. Obviously muscle things a bit to create a smidge if clearance then maybe add a little rubber off the old bad spot of hose, and put a hose clamp around that to have a little antichafe block to protect the remaining hose.

OP
OP
scallywag502

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the hose has a lot of slack (you look like you'll lose about 1") ... you can disconnect it... cut it back just on the other side of the wear spot and put it back on the hard pipe. If not... replace. Make sure you recheck your coolant levels... You'll likely lose a little bit on that horizontal run of hard pipe when you disconnect. Do it cold... these systems are pressurized hot. Good on you to give it a look when you smelled something. I don’t have a K20C2 engine so I can’t back you up to guesstimate how much slack you might have. It shouldn’t be too tight as everything ought to have some play. Obviously muscle things a bit to create a smidge if clearance then maybe add a little rubber off the old bad spot of hose, and put a hose clamp around that to have a little antichafe block to protect the remaining hose.
Thanks so much @charleswrivers !!!
Think ill just completely replace, as it doesnt have much slack.
Any idea as to what function this hose serves?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks so much @charleswrivers !!!
Think ill just completely replace, as it doesnt have much slack.
Any idea as to what function this hose serves?
Based on the size of your picture... no. I went outside to look and answer that part but my engine is the little L so it isn't exactly the same. Looks like a random coolant hose... going from what to what I couldn't say.

If you pull the old hose off... you can still slice an inch off the end then cut that piece in half like a half moon. Strap it right on the new hose with a hose clamp to create a spot to protect the new hose. Just be mindful whatever is rubbing it on the other side. If it's a metal bracket for the brake reservoir… I wouldn't be worried. If it's against the reservoir itself... I'd see if something can be moved ever so slightly to create room as you wouldn't want to protect one hose and slowly grind a hole in the side of the brake fluid reservoir. If there's a lot of slack in the old hose... the whole cut and reattach is prospectively a free fix.

OP
OP
scallywag502

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Based on the size of your picture... no. I went outside to look and answer that part but my engine is the little L so it isn't exactly the same. Looks like a random coolant hose... going from what to what I couldn't say.

If you pull the old hose off... you can still slice an inch off the end then cut that piece in half like a half moon. Strap it right on the new hose with a hose clamp to create a spot to protect the new hose. Just be mindful whatever is rubbing it on the other side. If it's a metal bracket for the brake reservoir… I wouldn't be worried. If it's against the reservoir itself... I'd see if something can be moved ever so slightly to create room as you wouldn't want to protect one hose and slowly grind a hole in the side of the brake fluid reservoir. If there's a lot of slack in the old hose... the whole cut and reattach is prospectively a free fix.
It definitely is a coolant hose that goes the the throttle body. Why? I have no clue.

think i may go to autozone to have them just cut me the same hosing just to be safe.
Thanks!

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
It definitely is a coolant hose that goes the the throttle body. Why? I have no clue.

think i may go to autozone to have them just cut me the same hosing just to be safe.
Thanks!
It goes to the AICV, which is like an automatic choke, adjusts afr depending on coolant/engine temps

OP
OP
scallywag502

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For future reference for someone who may run into the same issue:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L k20c2 Hose Leak....Help! 68802BBB-06C7-4C38-B6F2-24D15F001614

I followed @charleswrivers advice and cut off some slack(about .5 inches), just enough to bring the small abrasion above and over the piping. I took the scrap clipping and cut it to fit over the abrasion, and clamped the hose over that. I then took some scrap fuel line and cut it to fit over the entire connection where the friction was occurring.
I went to auto zone to see if they had a similar coolant hose, which they did not. The oem part is 3.49 +shipping. Steep, but i do plan on replacing the hose to be certain.
This will do for now. Hope this helps someone and thanks for everyone’s input and advice ??

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
That hose is just coolant hose to your throttle body. If you are living in cold climate zone with lot of snow then that serves it's purpose by heating the air a little to bring the engine to operating condition by warming up sooner. If you are in hot climate zones like texas then you can just bypass it. it's fine.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
It goes to the AICV, which is like an automatic choke, adjusts afr depending on coolant/engine temps
Electronic throttle body doesn't have AICV. The throttle itself serves the purpose of AICV

OP
OP
scallywag502

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That hose is just coolant hose to your throttle body. If you are living in cold climate zone with lot of snow then that serves it's purpose by heating the air a little to bring the engine to operating condition by warming up sooner. If you are in hot climate zones like texas then you can just bypass it. it's fine.
Cool, thanks for the info. Im in the midwest so we get the best of both worlds as far as climate goes.

dsuh3508

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
For future reference for someone who may run into the same issue:
68802BBB-06C7-4C38-B6F2-24D15F001614.jpeg

I followed @charleswrivers advice and cut off some slack(about .5 inches), just enough to bring the small abrasion above and over the piping. I took the scrap clipping and cut it to fit over the abrasion, and clamped the hose over that. I then took some scrap fuel line and cut it to fit over the entire connection where the friction was occurring.
I went to auto zone to see if they had a similar coolant hose, which they did not. The oem part is 3.49 +shipping. Steep, but i do plan on replacing the hose to be certain.
This will do for now. Hope this helps someone and thanks for everyone’s input and advice ??
Do you know the part number for the hose? I've been looking everywhere and I can't find it :(