MXRed

First Name
Annam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Country flag
2.0 NA Manual here, I see some conflicting information online regarding VTEC on the K20C2. Is it only on the intake side, or also on the exhaust side?
Sponsored

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll let you know when my engine will need a tear down probably around 300 000km...currently at 7000km....

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone wants all the details, here it is, direct from Honda's 10th gen press kit:

i-VTEC Valvetrain

The Civic's 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve i-VTEC® engine uses an advanced valve control system to combine high power output with high fuel efficiency and low emissions. The system combines dual VTC (Variable Valve Timing Control), which continuously adjusts the intake and exhaust camshaft phase, with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), which changes valve lift, timing and duration of the intake valves.

The "intelligent" portion of the system is its ability to continuously vary the timing of the intake and exhaust camshafts using variable valve timing control (VTC). This helps increase power and also provides a smoother idle (allowing idle speed to be reduced). The cam timing is varied based on input from sensors that monitor rpm, timing, throttle opening, cam position and exhaust air-fuel ratio. The result is increased fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Under certain conditions, the VTC can hold the intake valves open longer to allow a reverse airflow of intake air into the intake manifold.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
This is from Wikipedia so take that as you will, but it says: "Whilst the K20C1, K20C3, K20C4, a20C5, and K20C6 only have VTEC on the exhaust valves, the K20C2 has i-VTEC on both the intake and exhaust valves."

Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0 NA VTEC 2NAvtec
Sponsored