2.0 NA gas spec

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
These forums have morphed into handholding, "I feel your pain" get togethers.
Sponsored

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I believe that the way premium allows for higher potential maximum cylinder pressure is by delaying ,in effect, combustion so that it doesn't take place before it's supposed to. This is accomplished by making the fuel-air mixture less combustible. In and of itself this does not make the fuel "more powerful", it only allows for higher compression in the chamber before combustion. It is this higher compression ratio which results in more horsepower being produced, not the fuel itself. Ounce for ounce regular gas packs more of a wallop than premium because it contains more potential energy. The additive in premium fuel reduces the potential energy produced. If you put regular into a car that calls for premium it ignites and combusts too early, before the spark plug fires , because of the greater heat and pressure in the combustion chamber. If you put premium into a car that calls for regular you accomplish absolutely nothing. Any increase in power that you think you feel is the placebo effect. Nor is there any increase in gas mileage.
To counteract premature combustion premium fuel is made less combustible than regular. And it contains less potential energy, not more.
Like romeoridgee said, you're half right.
Premium fuel does not delay combustion. It just allows the fuel to combustion when its supposed to and not before(pre-igition)*edit* or after(detonation).

93 is not less energy dense than 87. Its just more stable at higher cylinder/combustion temps

Last edited:

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let’s not confuse preignition with detonation ?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Like romeoridgee said, you're half right.
Premium fuel does not delay combustion. It just allows the fuel to combustion when its supposed to and not before(pre-igition)*edit* or after(detonation).

93 is not less energy dense than 87. Its just more stable at higher cylinder/combustion temps
Nope. 93 is (slightly) less energy dense than 87. It's more stable because it's less explosive. This is how it "allows the fuel to combustion when it's supposed to". The result is delayed combustion relative to regular fuel. Everything in your post is wrong.
The important point ,in any case, is this; Premium fuel is not better or more powerful than regular. Anyone who puts premium into a car designed for regular is only wasting money. Nothing more.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
i have always used 89,highest mileage was 43-44(!!!)but the average is around 32.the 43-44 was on a long trip through the middle of nowhere ,eco button on and not driving more than 65 mph.
I can drive for like 10mins and get 45-50mpg on the 89 E-Free octane. On 87 regular, I don't even come close with same distances, roads and driving styles.. more like 38, so I keep using 89 E-Free. I do some city driving with a million lights almost every other day and my general long term avg (dash) is still like 37.6 mpg and usually going up every other day. I think it'd be better if Honda would quit resetting my avg reading when they do the oil changes and puts it back to 25mpg. I had to chew them out and tell them to clear only the MM oil%, not my dash..

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
Nope. 93 is (slightly) less energy dense than 87. It's more stable because it's less explosive. This is how it "allows the fuel to combustion when it's supposed to". The result is delayed combustion relative to regular fuel. Everything in your post is wrong.
The important point ,in any case, is this; Premium fuel is not better or more powerful than regular. Anyone who puts premium into a car designed for regular is only wasting money. Nothing more.
https://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-i.../what-octane-ratings-really-mean-for-your-car

"An octane rating is simply a measure of how heat resistant a fuel is in order to prevent knocking. In other words, octane doesn’t enhance combustion — it prevents the air-fuel mixture inside an engine from igniting before it’s supposed to.

The higher a fuel’s octane, the more resistant it is to knocking. If you hear knocking, you could be using the wrong octane for your ride. The recommended octane rating varies by vehicle, so always consult your owner’s manual to determine which is right for you. Some vehicles require a higher octane rating because they have what’s known as supercharged or turbocharged engines that create higher compression levels."

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gasoline/octane-in-depth.php

"Octane ratings are measures of fuel stability. These ratings are based on the pressure at which a fuel will spontaneously combust (auto-ignite) in a testing engine"

A simple google search would tell you what the differences actually are instead of what you just "believe" to be true (I believe that the way premium allows for higher potential maximum cylinder pressure is by delaying ,in effect, combustion")

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Hi, since I bought my Civic 4 months ago I always put 91 octane premium (so without Ethanol) I average 30-33 mpg and the engine is running very well. In France octane goes from 95 to 98 so for me 87 is a bit weird + gaz is very cheap in Canada compare to France therefore I use 91 instead of 87 but maybe I am wrong ?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hi, since I bought my Civic 4 months ago I always put 91 octane premium (so without Ethanol) I average 30-33 mpg and the engine is running very well. In France octane goes from 95 to 98 so for me 87 is a bit weird + gaz is very cheap in Canada compare to France therefore I use 91 instead of 87 but maybe I am wrong ?
Different fuel ratings in Europe and North America. Europe uses RON and North America uses AKI (anti-knock index). 92 RON is about 87 AKI.

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Different fuel ratings in Europe and North America. Europe uses RON and North America uses AKI (anti-knock index). 92 RON is about 87 AKI.
Thanks a lot Mike ! I just learn something today !!! So if I put 91 AKI here in Canada it is close to 95 RON in Europe. It is a bit like HP and PS my Civic with the 2.0 L engine is rated for 118 KW = 158 HP here in North America and 160 PS in Europe ;) Cheers Nick

ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2020 honda civic ex 2.0L all stock with 4800km on the engine, I did a 420 kilometer round trip on highway.
It showed 5.3L/100km
Is that good?
My travel speed was 105 kilometers per hour in Cruise control with echo on.
I always choose the cheapest option at the pump, I believe 89.

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I have a 2020 honda civic ex 2.0L all stock with 4800km on the engine, I did a 420 kilometer round trip on highway.
It showed 5.3L/100km
Is that good?
My travel speed was 105 kilometers per hour in Cruise control with echo on.
I always choose the cheapest option at the pump, I believe 89.
I’d love to help you out, but I only speak American