latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, I mean 5W30
Colder climate need lighter oil ; 0w-20, sleeping in garage or not.

Honda specs said 0w20 and I will never put anything else.
Civic best building plant is in Canada a cold country
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Honda designed the car and the engine, and specifies 0W-20 weight oil. NOT 5W-30 or anything else. What do you think you know that Honda engineers don't ?! Proper viscosity depends on many things including oil pump, oil ways, bearing clearance, upper cylinder lube, etc. If Honda specifies something different in other countries then they've obviously determined that it's appropriate for those engines under different conditions. There's a myth that heavier oils provide better protection and quieter engines. Add sawdust and it'll really be quiet!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda designed the car and the engine, and specifies 0W-20 weight oil. NOT 5W-30 or anything else. What do you think you know that Honda engineers don't ?! Proper viscosity depends on many things including oil pump, oil ways, bearing clearance, upper cylinder lube, etc. If Honda specifies something different in other countries then they've obviously determined that it's appropriate for those engines under different conditions. There's a myth that heavier oils provide better protection and quieter engines. Add sawdust and it'll really be quiet!

+1000

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
#bullshitdetected

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
This thread was open for a survey of the type of oil we use in our 2.0 engine, NOT of what we SHOULD be using.
As I said above, I use synthetic 5W30, and it's not recommended, I don't care.
I also have a trailer hitch and I tow a small utility trailer, not recommended either, I don't really care, I trade my car for a new one every 4-5 years.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This thread was open for a survey of the type of oil we use in our 2.0 engine, NOT of what we SHOULD be using.
I also have a trailer hitch and I tow a small utility trailer, not recommended either, I don't really care, I trade my car for a new one every 4-5 years.
You may have a 3 years rented Civic and you will return the car after ?
That is why you don't care, no ?

sw686blue

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT; 2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Why are you using 5W30?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel that 5w30 is as good as 0w20 and it is cheaper
You feel..... are you serious , you are joking !

Cheaper ! Few dollars less each oil change and less $20 a year for 3 oil change.

You don't have money to have a car and you want to take chance to pay lots of money for a engine damage

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
You feel..... are you serious , you are joking !

Cheaper ! Few dollars less each oil change and less $20 a year for 3 oil change.

You don't have money to have a car and you want to take chance to pay lots of money for a engine damage
Explain how and why it would damage my engine if I use 5w30

sw686blue

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT; 2017 Civic LX
Country flag
At operating temperature, they will performance about the same. In cold start-ups like we have here in Montreal, the 0W20 will perform better. And there can probably be an argument made that 0W20 will also give better mpg.

It's your car, do as you wish, but the cost between the two oils is really negligible.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
At operating temperature, they will performance about the same. In cold start-ups like we have here in Montreal, the 0W20 will perform better. And there can probably be an argument made that 0W20 will also give better mpg.

It's your car, do as you wish, but the cost between the two oils is really negligible.
I change my oil twice a year, fall and spring, my next oil change will probably be 0w30, I agree with you on start-up it is better.
Every car company has to meet CAFE and EPA, this is why by using 0W20 they save 1-1.2% on fuel mileage. It doesn't mean it is better for longevity of the engine.
Bonne journée