2.0 NA engine oil thread

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
What oil do you 2.0 owners use? Or do 2.0 owners care far less about their oil as 1.5T owners when it comes to oil? Virtually no threads for non-turbo owners as far as I can see.
Sponsored

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
What oil do you 2.0 owners use? Or do 2.0 owners care far less about their oil as 1.5T owners when it comes to oil? Virtually no threads for non-turbo owners as far as I can see.
Valvoline, 0w-20, full synthetic, high mileage, "maxlife" technology

Last edited:

relentlessX

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 Full-Synthetic. 5 qt. jug is $22.00 at my local Walmart.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I forgot to get mine checked on my previous oil change. I put a reminder in my car next to the sticker so I know next time to get it checked but that won't be for another 5 months or so.

rgrafton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I was curious to see how everyone's engines were looking and what OCI and oil types were being used. Also if Blackstone or some other Company was being used.

rgrafton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
engine is spec'd for 0w20... you're in an even colder climate, I would recommend against using 5w30 long term

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
engine is spec'd for 0w20... you're in an even colder climate, I would recommend against using 5w30 long term
Nothing wrong of using 5W30, read this:
Read this, very interesting, from another forum:

This was posted by amc49 at the Ford Focus forum and I found it interesting:

"Here's the problem, and of course you won't hear a freakin' word about it when they hype how wonderful the new engine machining technology is.

We ran thicker oil back in the '60s and '70s to match engines that had as compared to today wild variances in tolerance. As I noted earlier in this thread IIRC the close side of that wide range is virtually the same then as now. The variance was wider earlier to allow for the variables in machine tool cutting and such. Rod bearings say, varied from .0006" all the way to say .0015" or maybe a bit more, .002" was the utter upper limit pretty much.

Now the engines use that same .0006" but it may only run to .0012" max. The all out gap there is smaller and tighter controlled limits. Yes, it builds into an engine that lasts forever unabused and even with the thin oil, which is great for those small spaces as long as you aren't flailing the crap out of it.

The problem? When you rag hard on the motor the rods then go eggshape on the big end and that has nothing to do with the oil other than thicker oil will stand up a bit more to stop the extreme pressures at that time from bearing through the oil wedge to actually touch metal-to-metal. If that ever happens even a little you can kiss a soft bearing goodbye. Now the thinner closer tolerance is working against you, it means the rod end going out of round is much closer to pinching in at the rod split to make the bearing chisel off the oil and then the bearing friction shears the locating tab (don't even have them on duratecs, Ford better idea) to spin.

Thinner oil + thinner bearing space = disaster on many plain bearing rods @ max rpm. Talk all the crap about 'better engineering and closer machining processes' you want, you WILL be dealing with that simple law of physics at some point on many designs. The Ford SVT V-6 had utter fits with it, almost any engine there that was down had a spun rod in it. Even if it's not a problem it shows, you can tell varying amounts by the bearing wear patterns on almost any engine that gets revved hard."

rgrafton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
hmm I'm really torn between the two... i can see using 5w30 with the 1.5T engine just due to the turbo thinning the oil quickly, but with our 2.0 I'm not really sure... I can't see our lower powered engines running so hard as to needing a thicker oil. You are also in Montreal where it gets super cold, so I'd really be leaning towards 0w20 if I were you. This is why I want to see some UOA's for our 2.0 engines! Let's start a thread! I'll get a UOA done with Blackstone when I change it in about a month.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
hmm I'm really torn between the two... i can see using 5w30 with the 1.5T engine just due to the turbo thinning the oil quickly, but with our 2.0 I'm not really sure... I can't see our lower powered engines running so hard as to needing a thicker oil. You are also in Montreal where it gets super cold, so I'd really be leaning towards 0w20 if I were you. This is why I want to see some UOA's for our 2.0 engines! Let's start a thread! I'll get a UOA done with Blackstone when I change it in about a month.
You are probably right, maybe I should use 0W20 or 0W30, but my car sleeps in a heated garage at all times. I don't think it makes such a big difference by using 5W30.
Check this:
https://hondakarma.com/guides/honda-civic-lubricants-and-fluids.1815/

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh god... Not this again... Seriously??? We going back to the 5w30 vs 0w20? :banghead: