squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of getting a 2.0 in manual for what's becoming a dying breed in cars--naturally aspirated with three pedals. I drove a mk6 GTI before but just looking for something with less issues overall.

I'm torn between the following choices--

1. Honda Civic LX
  • Reasons for: reliable, VTEC, raw/mechanical driving feel
  • Reasons against: base level trim (steel wheels, 4 speakers, etc.), goofy looking interior
2. Mazda 3 Touring
  • Reasons for: great handling
  • Reasons against: vague clutch, shifter not as good as Honda, feels electronic, goofy looking exterior
3. VW Golf TSI
  • Reasons for: Great modding platform, understated design
  • Reasons against: 5 speed, VW reliability, always in the shadow of the GTI
4. VW GTI
  • Reasons for: sheer driving pleasure
  • Reasons against: Not as sharp as the mk6 that I had, VW reliability, $$$

Before anyone chimes in about the 1.5T, I'm not looking for speed, just a direct man-to-machine feel. Didn't like the throttle response of a turbo, prefer the progressive torque curve of a NA.
Sponsored

OP
OP

squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
I'm planning on rear sway bar, lowering springs, and new wheels (in that order)

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I have the LX Coupe 6MT, I also have B18 swapped EJ6 platform.

I'm getting to like the transmission but it's not up to the standards of something on a B or D series Honda (which are maybe among the best manual transmissions in the world found on small passenger cars). The new ones are cable actuated and feel notchy. I'm getting used to it but it won't hold up to the old warhorses. I've come to accept the past is not coming back (second stage of grief?)

The suspension clearly isn't as good either being Honda moved away from double wishbone (basically everyone has). That also is what it is.

Those are my two largest complaints and everything else is really nitpicky (maybe fragile interior or thin body panels). I would recommend the car without hesitation.

I'm not into the Android radio or semi-autonomous driving stuff one bit (I hate it all with a **passion**) so I won't comment on it. I just want to get in my car and drive, ya know??

OP
OP

squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
I have the LX Coupe 6MT, I also have B18 swapped EJ6 platform.

I'm getting to like the transmission but it's not up to the standards of something on a B or D series Honda (which are maybe among the best manual transmissions in the world found on small passenger cars). The new ones are cable actuated and feel notchy. I'm getting used to it but it won't hold up to the old warhorses. I've come to accept the past is not coming back (second stage of grief?)

The suspension clearly isn't as good either being Honda moved away from double wishbone (basically everyone has). That also is what it is.

Those are my two largest complaints and everything else is really nitpicky (maybe fragile interior or thin body panels). I would recommend the car without hesitation.

I'm not into the Android radio or semi-autonomous driving stuff one bit (I hate it all with a **passion**) so I won't comment on it. I just want to get in my car and drive, ya know??
The transmission wasn't the best in the GTI either. It wasn't the worst, but the stock shifter was incredibly sloppy. In any case, I'm a novice manual driver, so any refinement in the transmission is sure to be lost on me lest I improve my skills.

I'm gonig to install lowering springs later and just call it a day.

I'm the kind who likes a car for the driving feel. I regularly go up to the canyons and sometimes go autocross.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Vague clutch in the Mazda3? Really? I haven't driven one lately but the clutches and transmissions and the whole way the overall system feels in the Mazdas I have owned was superb. Very well balanced and very polished.
Sponsored