2.0 Engine Impressions

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Not sure I understand this. My 7" touch screen works without issue today - why is it not going to work in 3 years? Because something newer and better will be out? That's fine with me, your solution to this problem is to never come near anything new or innovative and therefore you won't have to have something that is fairly new and works, but not as great as what just came out.. to each his own.

We never know with a new car.
I look at all car magazine on bookstores and no one say this car is reliable, it is wait and see.
I see one write don't buy it.
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I don't really understand it either. Who cares if it doesn't get updated. As long as it keeps working the same. I bought a Denon AVR that can be connected to the internet wirelessly so that it can receive software "updates". I never enabled the option. It's never gotten a single update. Never been online. It's worked perfectly for two years. Plays music with awesome fidelity whether CD, IPOD, Turntable, or digital files.

mrobison12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic WOP Hatch 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove 2 sedans, one with the 2.0 and one with the 1.5T, and agree that the performance between the two is pretty similar when both have CVTs. The 1.5T has more performance potential with tuning, and is moderately faster and I think more fun when paired with a manual, but the 2.0 is no slouch by any means.

BLK Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 1960 Classic Mini w/B16B
Not sure I understand this. My 7" touch screen works without issue today - why is it not going to work in 3 years? Because something newer and better will be out? That's fine with me, your solution to this problem is to never come near anything new or innovative and therefore you won't have to have something that is fairly new and works, but not as great as what just came out.. to each his own.
Im with you on this. Some people are so resistance to change? Really, pay more for a crank window?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0l is not bad at all. It definitely needs to be revved, and is more susceptible to being slow in the hands of a sh"tty driver. The tq won't pull u through any corners, but that's why you rev it. Stock it definitely feels like it had more to give, but a reflash basically makes it feel like an older k up top.

Back to stock though it just feels like it is trying to punish you for not buying the 1.5 in all honesty. It just seems the higher rpms were purposely dulled, I mean no vtec in gears 1& 2, that's just not right.

But all in all what feels "anemic" is the timing curve on it, it never feels wheezy the way most other economy car motors feel, it just doesn't feel like it is actually at 100% throttle.

And on a side note, it is silky smooth compared to other car manufacturers motors.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
there is absolutely no tech (drive train excepted) available on this car worth having. gps is ok but not packaged with a sub standard head unit. not only that the all of the tech on the car now is poorly done. drive train included. not thought out well at all.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I test drove 2 sedans, one with the 2.0 and one with the 1.5T, and agree that the performance between the two is pretty similar when both have CVTs. The 1.5T has more performance potential with tuning, and is moderately faster and I think more fun when paired with a manual, but the 2.0 is no slouch by any means.
The 2 second 0-60 difference, 7mph in the 1/4, and especially part throttle response beg to differ. There is a night and day difference between the 2.0 and the 1.5t and it is amplified with the CVT. They are actually much closer with the 6mt.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are two perspectives to consider: The 2.0L maybe a "base" engine but it is not a base engine when you compare it to the R18 of the last generation Civic. This 2.0L is very smooth and very refined in its overall operation. You can rev it to the limit and remains smooth through out the rev range (at least when paired to the manual transmission). It gives you good power and adequate torque under normal driving and will come alive for you in the upper revs. You can achieve 40+mpg if you try but will never be worse than 36mpg in my experiences.

The second perspective is comparing to the K24 (9th gen Si) or a K20A3 from 7th gen Si. I had both and I think the most dramatic difference is the weight of the flywheel on the new 2.0 being heavier thus less responsive to rev or less"lively" than used in an Si. Of course the 9th gen Si weighed 200 lbs more than a 10th gen LX with 47 more HP and the 7th gen Si weighed the same as 10th LX so honestly, there is no large performance gap getting an LX/EX with a 2.0L. Coming right out of my 15 Si into my LX was not a huge "downgrade" in terms of engine performance. Again, I am only speaking of cars with a manual. The joyless CVT may be a whole different story with the 2.0. So all in all, the 2.0 is a great little engine and is a very worthy alternative to the 1.5turbo.

Roan14

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2018
Country flag
Never drove the 1.5. Never cared to. I buy my cars based on a fairly limited set of criteria:

1. Driver comfort.
2. Anticipated value (bang for the buck).
3. Anticipated reliability.
4. Cost of ownership (I am cheap).
5. Looks (can't be coyote ugly).

I'm not (yet) sold on the reliability of these new mini-turbo assisted engines. I generally expect the normally aspirated version to outlast its assisted brethren.

My previous car was an 8th gen LX Sedan ('07). The motor in my new LX Sedan (CVT) pulls far better, so I'm a happy camper.

Not every customer is looking to get a performance kick out of their new ride...some of us just want to feel confident they have something comfortable, reliable, and won't hurt their family budget.
Yeah this 1.5 turbo engine aren’t as good as the N/A 2.0 liter engine, Scotty Kilmer went over it on one of his videos

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0 Engine Impressions WSKdtFQ_d-01

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 1.5 is a great little engine, Better on gas and much better performance ! Screw Scotty and his clickbait youtube channel.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Never drove the 1.5. Never cared to. I buy my cars based on a fairly limited set of criteria:

1. Driver comfort.
2. Anticipated value (bang for the buck).
3. Anticipated reliability.
4. Cost of ownership (I am cheap).
5. Looks (can't be coyote ugly).

I'm not (yet) sold on the reliability of these new mini-turbo assisted engines. I generally expect the normally aspirated version to outlast its assisted brethren.

My previous car was an 8th gen LX Sedan ('07). The motor in my new LX Sedan (CVT) pulls far better, so I'm a happy camper.

Not every customer is looking to get a performance kick out of their new ride...some of us just want to feel confident they have something comfortable, reliable, and won't hurt their family budget.
This. Right. Here.. is where I was at when buying mine as well. Needed a reliable ride while modifying my 6th Gen Civic

the 2.0 is a fine engine, and is only really short on TQ compared to the 1.5. ive had both with the mt. the 2.0 has plenty of power to do anything you want, with in reason. it never huffed or puffed ever going up some pretty impressive grades, without going out of overdrive. i still may like the 2.0 more overall maybe. super smooth and quite.
After kTuner and better gas, it gets even better.. ?

The 2.0L is fine if you drive mostly yourself, but load it up with a couple more passengers and you really feel the lack of torque. Ditto when you're going up a grade at highway speed and try to pass slower traffic.
I drive Uber and don't have many issues in that area unless multiple passengers are more than 300lbs each. When that happens, I just switch to Sport mode when taking off.. ? Definitely not a Big Person's car

My 2.0 feels fine. Definitely not lacking power in sport mode. In drive if you turn Econ mode off you should have sufficient power for daily driving situations. :thumbsup:
Agreed on turning Econ button off, downright sluggish response when on. I did however note that Econ seems to work great/best when using ACC and going on longer drives.. running max AC and still getting like 40+ mpg.
I prefer a stripped-down car, personally. If crank windows and manual mirrors were an option I would pay extra for those. I maintain my own cars and keep them until the wheels fall off. Most people probably don't.

I work in IT (ARM firmware), and I know what's going to happen 3 years down the road with that 7" touch screen: the updates will *stop* and you'll be stuck with outdated software that's tied into your cluster, climate controls, ECU and everything else. That unit is running a general-purpose OS that's being treated like a black box. It can access the internet, and you're not getting timely updates.

The time-bomb ticks...

You also have an auto manufacturer that's attempting to cater to the "tech savvy" that's *mailing* dealer-exclusive software out on USB sticks. I don't even know what to make of this. There's some disconnect with reality going on here, for sure. I'm just impressed they're not sending the updates out on 192 floppy disks. Honda is treating this device like a brake fluid reservoir or a control arm or any random part and that's not an appropriate approach for this.

Ironically, you'll find people in IT are the *most* skeptical of this level of integration. Teens will implicitly trust all of this without any question, what-so-ever.

You guys with the 7" are lucky that Honda is even releasing *any* updates for this system. I wish you the best of luck, but history isn't on your side, I'm sorry to say. Your only hope if you want to keep this car for more than one model year is for someone to root the device and open the flood gates.

I love my 2017 LX (!!), but if Honda wants to go down this route, they really need a bit of adjustment and introspection. This is an old-skool, conservative (since 2000) company that appears to be out of their league with this infotainment system.

This system will never work right -- and it's a management issue, not a software issue.
I feel most of what you stated seems to have good food for thought. And even with my updates (2020 Civic Sport), it's still running Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean). ? The difference vs today's newest version is Android 12.
I must disagree with you on the USB Drive update distributions.. they simply don't seem to exist cuz I've been to several dealers in Florida (and dealerships LOVE to sell ya stuff. lol) and they've all been confused ? AF, looked into it and were disappointed that they didn't exist and couldn't help/sell me what I wanted.. ?
Sponsored