MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Well, had to rent a car for visiting family. They didn't have any Hondas of any sort and I refuse to drive any "ecobox" on vacation. I reserved the 2019 Mazda Miata MX-5...they didnt have one when I arrived and was told to choose any car on the lot. Lo & Behold there was a 2019 Mustang GT just sitting in the front.

Long story short - Mustang GT while very powerful was more like a blunt instrument than anything else. It was an automatic... while it roared into action there was always a pause and a hitch to get going regarless whether at a stand still or going 65mph down the highway. On my adventures into the mountains and such it handled the curves again like a monster but no precision. Steering was acceptable as well as the handling suspension-wise. I did not feel all the tell tale things I love about my Si..

-cockpit feel of the seat being strapped in and dialed in with the car
-responsiveness & precision feel of the engine whether accelerating or making turns
-the feel of the tires on the road being "tuned" to the ground

I did not particularly pay much attention to the stereo, displays, head unit, but the AC was great as well as the AC cooling in the seats (it was record setting heat the whole week I was there).

When I got back I jumped in my old beater truck (wasnt leaving my Si int airport parking lot!) and felt like I just got off jumping on a trampoline. No response, just a dull slow ride. Got home and immediately traded vehicles to the Si to drive to work, and I went to town zipping around, cornering turns, accelerating, and all without going WOT -- the sheer JOY of the drive!!

My friend races stock Mustang GT for fun on the weekends, he invited me and my Si out to the F1 track to have some fun (he wanted to see what the SI could do), I had to pass. No doubt on the straightaways he would toast me, but I now know how much fun I have driving the Si compared to his Mustang GT, he is REALLY missing out, IMHO.

To all my fellow Si owners - "you have chosen wisely" (Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade)
Sponsored

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Mustangs are ugly, just like the rest of those god awful muscle cars. They look huge and heavy, and like they would handle like poop.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Awesome that you got a new '19 Mustang GT for your rental. There is something about a high powered V8. I have not driven the current generation Stang, but owned the last generation '07 Saleen 281-SC. It was a quick car, but lack of Independent Rear Suspension and that freaking weight hurt the handling. To be honest my lower weightand lower priced old '00 Trans Am WS.6 felt it had better handling than the Saleen.

Handling wise the SI and my aging '08 Jetta S handled better in the turns and curvy roads. Lower mass makes a difference. But I wont lie, I do miss my old Saleen and had her for only 18 months.

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
I have not lived in Hawaii long, and had rented a camaro convertible for 3 weeks until my car arrived on Friday. I enjoy my Si. But this state is absolutely not made a high performance clutch. Its horrendous being stuck in traffic for a handful of hours each day. I enjoyed the camaro but never really got to push it. I will not be daily driving my Si here.
Sponsored