First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I've tried searching and reading, just getting more confused. LoL

If one wanted to do a full upgrade on fog/lo/high to something matching the DRLs, what is a good combination? I know that there will be huge differences of opinion, that's probably why there is no go-to "this is what you should get" chart. But I have a few questions on the specifics...

For fogs in particular, I've seen a lot of pictures here that look like they are casting a hella-glare out there. I get that enough from others coming the other way, I don't want to add to it. I thought I would just get the official Honda LED foglight kit 08V31-TBA-100H but it says that it is not compatible with the 2019 Civic Hatch EX w/Honda Sensing. I'd think those are projection housings for the LED bulbs, but could be wrong on that... In another thread, someone pointed out that it depends on the placement of the LEDs on the bulb, the thinner and closer to halogen placement it is, the less chance of a problem...

These are slim, would they fit for all three positions (fog/L/H) and closely emulate halogen pattern?

https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-H11-H8-H9-Conversion/dp/B07T8Z61J9/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=katana+h11+led+fanless&qid=1583906716&sr=8-8

Or do you need to spend the extra money for non-glare fogs?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeUltinon-Automotive-Light-Pack/dp/B07581DB7N/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Philips+H11+LED+fog+lamps&qid=1583908509&sr=8-4

Or can you get just the projector housings for a 2019 Civic Hatch EX to make it more of an "official" upgrade? The instructions for the 08V31-TBA-100CH do mention that if you have fog lights already, you should use 08V31-TBA-100H which appears to have just new housings, so maybe that is why it is listed as "incompatible"? But even that lists as incompatible with the 2019 Hatch.

Maybe I'll just stick with the H9 upgrades and call it a day. LoL But I'd like that white or even white+blue that matches the DRLs.
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I had my 2016 touring, if I recall correctly I used 6000K LEDs off amazon. I used H11s in my housings.

Problem with upgrading to LEDs in a reflective housing, you will always inevitably have glare unless you were to spend some serious dough on a set and even then it's not guaranteed. With projector housings, it's slightly better, but not by much. I have Yellow LED Fog Lights in my 2019 Si and I just mostly have them for show. The glare is more towards the sides so I'm not blinding other drivers (that I'm aware of, lol, no high beam flashes or honks yet, 3 months and counting).

There's one thread I looked up where someone used the genuine Honda LED fog kit and put it on his 2018 Si, when it lists it as incompatible as well on the College Hills Honda page. https://www.civicx.com/threads/2019-oem-led-fog-lights-work-on-all-10th-gens.36751/

Maybe take a read through that thread and you might make some progress on the OEM kit.

OP
OP
n9yty

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the pointer to that other thread, I put a follow-up question there. The big reason I'm leaning toward that official kit with new projector housings is so that down the road you could use more generic LED bulbs rather than swapping out now with $125+ Philps non-glare bulbs. I'd rather spend more once than spend more every time you might have a bulb fail.

I really wish there was a way to better put this information out, but because we all have different purposes/preferences it probably isn't possible. But some folks just would love a set of tested combinations you could pick from. LoL And I don't understand why many are using different bulbs for low/high/fogs if they are all the same bulb size. The last time I dug into this, I read and read and read and read and eventually just gave up because there were too many options that I got overload. I think I'm approaching that point again. LOL. But that's just me.

OP
OP
n9yty

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Um, maybe those factory upgrades aren't going to do what I thought, just re-read the installation instructions for the official Honda kit and the LED bulbs are NOT replaceable, they are part of the assembly. So that isn't going to give me what I wanted. I guess looking for LED bulbs that closely mimic the halogen pattern to minimize glare is the best option.

So, back to reading and learning about the best/right bulbs to drop in that minimize glare.
Sponsored