Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
*I searched pretty extensively before posting, but if I missed it please let me know.*

I have my current set of winter wheels, the Axis Model Five, 18x8 +42 offset. I was thinking of using these for summer use for the time being instead of the OEM 20's. For this size wheel, what would be an optimum tire size to run on them? I currently have a 235/45 winter tire on them, but I'm thinking that sidewall may be too high. Would a 235/40 work? Maybe a little wider at 245/40? Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. TIA!
Sponsored

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I did 245/40s on 18x8s for the winter. I really like them for my dd commute over some terrible roads. In fact I may end up keeping them on as I don't have to worry about them and I never track. I do miss the steering feel, but that could be due to my choice of tire for the winter(pilot as3+).

OP
OP
Will Solo

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
I did 245/40s on 18x8s for the winter. I really like them for my dd commute over some terrible roads. In fact I may end up keeping them on as I don't have to worry about them and I never track. I do miss the steering feel, but that could be due to my choice of tire for the winter(pilot as3+).
Yeah, that makes sense. I'd definitely be going with a UHP tire on these as a daily since the tires would be significantly cheaper than one for the OEM wheels.

rebelthepit

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
It might be me but I have the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ and I do not like them at all (Only good in the rain imo). I got stuck on a slight incline and couldn’t get up it till the plow truck moved only about 1” of snow. I’ve used the LM22 and WS50 on my Evo 8 and I couldn’t be happier. I think next year I’m switching over to a dedicated snow tire.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
It might be me but I have the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ and I do not like them at all (Only good in the rain imo). I got stuck on a slight incline and couldn’t get up it till the plow truck moved only about 1” of snow. I’ve used the LM22 and WS50 on my Evo 8 and I couldn’t be happier. I think next year I’m switching over to a dedicated snow tire.
I knew they would not do well in snow, but we don't get much snow.(none this year) I just needed good performance for low temp. I think their grip/wear/noise is great. The ride quality is excellent over the terrible roads. I would do a snow tire too, if we got any!!

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
245/40-18 is very very close to stock diameter and will work fine on 8" wheel. I am running similar "winter" setup with Yoko Advan A/S on 18x8 Sparco wheels. Feels fine (not as precise as stock 30 series obviously).

Id recommend that over the 235s.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're not lowered I'd do a 45 series tires for more sidewall
Sponsored