18's W Michelin all seasons Car feels like it isn't stable in corner?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Hello I have a question and a rant lol? does anyone have an issue with the handling on their type r running 18s with 245/40 18?
When you turn does it feel like the traction will break loose on tight corners at an adequate speed? maybe its me, but the car on 18's do not feel the same with the car on stock 20's.

On the 20's everything is tight....You can drive this car with confidence and feel the road. Going in Moderately high speeds and cornering adjusting turn in feels good.

On 18s that feeling is completely gone. I've tried to accept and come to terms that this is how the car will drive, i mean I am not saying I completely hate it. It feels good to drive and not have to worry about every pothole and bump in the road damaging the wheels.
Just saying there is a trade off and that trade off isn't emphasized enough on this forum.

When you reduce this car to 18's you remove the soul from the vehicle...I REPEAT when you move to 18's you remove the soul from the vehicle.

Take that into consideration and decide accordingly....
Sponsored

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
What tire did you go with? Can't really expect a 40 series all season UHP tire to handle with a 30 series summer tire. When I did go to an all season UHP tire on my 2018 I went to a 19" rim and 35 series tire for this reason.

Last edited:

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
On 18s that feeling is completely gone. I've tried to accept and come to terms that this is how the car will drive, i mean I am not saying I completely hate it. It feels good to drive and not have to worry about every pothole and bump in the road damaging the wheels.
Just saying there is a trade off and that trade off isn't emphasized enough on this forum.

When you reduce this car to 18's you remove the soul from the vehicle...I REPEAT when you move to 18's you remove the soul from the vehicle.

Take that into consideration and decide accordingly...
I get a similar feeling with the stock Conti all-seasons on the stock 18-inch wheels. Even with the short sidewall, I still feel it rolling way too much in corners. I can feel the sidewall deflect when I apply pressure on it with my fingers. The car is still fun but I lack confidence in tight corners. I'm looking at grabbing aggressive tires, cambers arms, sway bars, braces when I inevitably upgrade my wheels sometime in the future.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Hello I have a question and a rant lol? does anyone have an issue with the handling on their type r running 18s with 245/40 18?
When you turn does it feel like the traction will break loose on tight corners at an adequate speed? maybe its me, but the car on 18's do not feel the same with the car on stock 20's.

On the 20's everything is tight....You can drive this car with confidence and feel the road. Going in Moderately high speeds and cornering adjusting turn in feels good.

Take that into consideration and decide accordingly....
You went to an 18 inch all season with a larger sidewall, I hate to say it but what did you expect?

Moving to an 18 does not the "soul" of the car. The combination of high expectations from a solid summer tire to an ok all season tire removed the soul of your car

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
a larger and softer sidewall from the all season will give you that feeling. its to be expected as the sidewall is "rolling" over.

that "trade off" is also exaggerated heavily.
You are not removing the "soul" from the car by going to 18s lol. you removed it by going to a soft sidewall all season tires.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Noted on all fronts I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
I went down to 18s with Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 tires (265/35). I definitely feel the same way. I feel a lot less confident going into corners at high speed but come to accept that as a trade off for more peace of mind daily driving on trash roads in my area.

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I went with 255/40 all seasons as my daily tire. Definitely a difference! However, I'm okay with the trade off as we have absolutely terrible roads here. I appreciate the added comfort and peace of mind on a daily. I'm going to track it, and run 19s with a better tire than stock to get max performance. NSX wheels here I come ... someday ...

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:cool: OP was looking for the most cost-effective way to turn it into a Camry. Mission accomplished.

Seriously, that’s normal if you go from low-profile tires to ones with significantly thicker sidewall. More comfort but loss of handling precision.

Most people go with 265/35 on 18” wheels assuming they’re 9”-9.5” wide. Are you on 18”x8.5” wheels?

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thicker sidewall causes a lot more body roll when cornering, so it’s not as sharp as it was before. That’s totally normal. I’m not sure if the AS has anything to do with it since I transferred from a set of AS 245/30/20 tires to a better set of AS 245/40/18 tires (and new rims). I originally ran a set of Nitto NeoGen (245/30/20) then moved to the PS AS 3+ When I got my new rims but currently have the PS AS 4 on my car. The steering also softens up and feedback becomes more vague when you get the larger tire wall too.

That being said, the AS tires don’t have nearly as much traction as the OEM tires, but that’s expected. The PS AS 3+/4 do provide more traction than the NeoGen in just about every condition though, but they are roughly equal in warm, dry weather.
Sponsored