18s or 19s?

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had posted this in another thread, but thought that I might get more traction (pun intended) by posting it separately.

I have it narrowed down to these two wheels:

Advanti DST Svelto:
Honda Civic 10th gen 18s or 19s? {filename}

Moda MD18:
Honda Civic 10th gen 18s or 19s? {filename}

If I go with the Advanti option, then I have the additional decision of 18 x 7.5 or 19 x 8.5. I would think that the 19s would look better (and they're on sale for a closeout special), but I'm concerned about the ride quality and smoothness. One of my favourite parts of this 10th gen is the quiet and smooth ride, and I wouldn't want to negatively impact that.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Sponsored

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean larger wheels with lower profile tires will always have harsher ride. Its all about how sensitive you are to the increase of harshness. I have gone from 17s to 18s with 35 profile tires and the harshness increase was barely noticeable.... that said I am not as sensitive to ride harshness as some.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm on 16" winter wheels now, and they feel less harsh than my 18" stock combo did. Pavement cracks and seams don't *ping* as hard through the 16s as they did the 18s. It's enough of a difference that I've become less nervous about some of the worse bridge expansion joints in my area.

Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 18" (despite the CTR running 20s). And because I'm not planning on installing bigger brakes, I'd even consider getting rid of my OEM 18s if it wouldn't hurt trade-in or resale value.

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm on 16" winter wheels now, and they feel less harsh than my 18" stock combo did. Pavement cracks and seams don't *ping* as hard through the 16s as they did the 18s. It's enough of a difference that I've become less nervous about some of the worse bridge expansion joints in my area.

Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 18" (despite the CTR running 20s). And because I'm not planning on installing bigger brakes, I'd even consider getting rid of my OEM 18s if it wouldn't hurt trade-in or resale value.
OEM 18s? My 2017 EX-T has OEM 17s. I am thinking that 18s really are the right size for my wants/needs. That's a bummer because I was hoping to save a little money on the Advanti wheel. However, maybe they will come down in price too. I'm also open to something similar.

Thanks again for the feedback.

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM 18s? My 2017 EX-T has OEM 17s. I am thinking that 18s really are the right size for my wants/needs. That's a bummer because I was hoping to save a little money on the Advanti wheel. However, maybe they will come down in price too. I'm also open to something similar.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Just noticed you have a hatch, and now I remember those have 18s stock.

UHx0H

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got 19x9.5 wheels on my LX hatch that originally came with 16s.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I running 19x8 +40 with a 235/35-19 nitto motivo tire and its fine. The dang stock Firestones were loud to me. The ride has been fine so far. As the miles rack up and the tires lose tread depth its slightly more bumpy but nothing terrible.

Honda Civic 10th gen 18s or 19s? IMG_1916 (1).JPG

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I running 19x8 +40 with a 235/35-19 nitto motivo tire and its fine. The dang stock Firestones were loud to me. The ride has been fine so far. As the miles rack up and the tires lose tread depth its slightly more bumpy but nothing terrible.
Ah, I remember your setup (and thinking that it looked great)! So do you think the tire is the more important factor? I'm pretty much all about the smooth ride (and especially the QUIET ride). :)

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for the hijack, but how does it affect your speedometer reading/RPMs? I'm looking at going to a bigger tire/rims. On my Jeep I use a Superchips to adjust tire size and gears, but how do you do it on the Civics?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah, I remember your setup (and thinking that it looked great)! So do you think the tire is the more important factor? I'm pretty much all about the smooth ride (and especially the QUIET ride). :)
Tire matters, my guy said the nitto motivo would be more quiet than the 555 or the michelin equiv in that size

Sorry for the hijack, but how does it affect your speedometer reading/RPMs? I'm looking at going to a bigger tire/rims. On my Jeep I use a Superchips to adjust tire size and gears, but how do you do it on the Civics?
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp Start there , my speedo is off .2%

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
isnt it true that once you recalibrate the TMPS that it corrects itself so your speedo shouldnt be off anymore?
If it' like other cars....the tpms monitors pressure and differences in revolutions between tires for traction control and active handling adjustments. Speed is picked up elsewhere.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it' like other cars....the tpms monitors pressure and differences in revolutions between tires for traction control and active handling adjustments. Speed is picked up elsewhere.
we have an indirect TPMS so yeah, the tpms is measured from the abs sensor. from what Ive been told, doesnt matter if you reset it, your speedo is still going to be off if you change the circumference of the stock set up. Your tpms comes on if one of your wheels is spinning faster than the other 3.

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
we have an indirect TPMS so yeah, the tpms is measured from the abs sensor. from what Ive been told, doesnt matter if you reset it, your speedo is still going to be off if you change the circumference of the stock set up. Your tpms comes on if one of your wheels is spinning faster than the other 3.
yeh i know that about one spinning faster than the other - i just assumed it would have calibrated that - thanks

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeh i know that about one spinning faster than the other - i just assumed it would have calibrated that - thanks
I wish I had a way to test that theory but I kept mine so close to stock its literally impossible to pass one of the street radar signs and see if i was off. need someone who went different size
Sponsored