First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They've sold around 37-38k CTRs worldwide going by the recent plate numbers which are a little random. Tons of them are still on stock rims, and others have found good setups with existing wheels. Most other cars with the 5x120 bolt pattern don't need such a high offset, M2 Comp for example is +29 front +40 rear unless I'm mistaken.

Of course, other 10th gen owners might buy them up as well, but the market must be too small to garner the attention of the wheel companies as they see it. If enough people sign on for a small run maybe?

Those Motegis are also lighter and you can fit a bigger sidewall with less speeo error FWIW.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
They've sold around 37-38k CTRs worldwide going by the recent plate numbers which are a little random. Tons of them are still on stock rims, and others have found good setups with existing wheels. Most other cars with the 5x120 bolt pattern don't need such a high offset, M2 Comp for example is +29 front +40 rear unless I'm mistaken.

Of course, other 10th gen owners might buy them up as well, but the market must be too small to garner the attention of the wheel companies as they see it. If enough people sign on for a small run maybe?

Those Motegis are also lighter and you can fit a bigger sidewall with less speeo error FWIW.
Other 10th gen owners can use Type R rims, different bolt pattern.

Motegi can run 245/35/19 which has 0 speedometer error. This is the stock tire size for the FK2.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
IIRC the OZ challenge are 5x120.65. Are you using normal lug nuts with these or have you found PCD correcting lug nuts?

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Other 10th gen owners can use Type R rims, different bolt pattern.

Motegi can run 245/35/19 which has 0 speedometer error. This is the stock tire size for the FK2.
Ah true, but don't they make adapters?

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
My point is that there seems like a business opportunity that is not being met. I am wondering why it isn't. If a company would offer +60 offset 18 inch wheels that were just as strong, just as good looking, just as light and for a similar cost as others out there now, seems like they could corner the market for future rims. Maybe one of those criteria above can't be easily achieved. That is my question. I assume someone around here knows quite a bit about making rims since I have read threads from people who seem to have real expertise in various fields.
I'm still looking and trying to decide what to do before winter comes. I would really like to go to an 18" wheel for my second set. I actually don't mind the OEM wheels although I cringe every time I hit a pothole. So far all I've done is to order a spare to take along for long trips. So count me as one more buyer if someone would care to make an 18" wheel with 60 offsets.

I also don't like the idea of introducing torque steer to what is a superbly handling car. With the steering already being so heavy in sport mode and way too heavy in R it's one more distraction to have to deal with.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I think we should try and get a group buy together - only problem is everyone will be a bitch about the color and style so will be tough.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Ah true, but don't they make adapters?
That’s kind of pushing the flexibility at this point. The fact of the matter is that unless someone is downgrading from a Type R to another Civic, there’s no reason why someone would want to purchase rims for the Type R + adapters. To be honest, the selection for the 5x114.2 that the 10th gen Civics has it much larger when it comes to rims.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I think we should try and get a group buy together - only problem is everyone will be a bitch about the color and style so will be tough.
Yep, it's been tried in the past with no success. To be fair, no serious attempt has been made. Only a few individuals posting in RSR wheel thread.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
IIRC the OZ challenge are 5x120.65. Are you using normal lug nuts with these or have you found PCD correcting lug nuts?
Correct, they're technically marketed as 120.65. I'm using just regular conical lug nuts.

If you think about the thickness of 0.65mm and look at the wheel tolerance of the OEM 5x1200 wheels, you'll realize that 0.65mm is nothing to worry about. Just think about it, when a machine is drilling holes into the wheels, do you expect their tolerance to be less than 1mm?

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Correct, they're technically marketed as 120.65. I'm using just regular conical lug nuts.

If you think about the thickness of 0.65mm and look at the wheel tolerance of the OEM 5x1200 wheels, you'll realize that 0.65mm is nothing to worry about. Just think about it, when a machine is drilling holes into the wheels, do you expect their tolerance to be less than 1mm?
Yes, actually I would expect the tolerance to be under 1mm. I'd expect that a decent quality wheel manufacturer could keep at least 3 sigmas of deviation, or 99.7%. For a 120mm hole, that's +/- 0.48mm.

Now I will readily admit it's been awhile since I've done a bolted joint analysis, so I can't tell you how much that 0.65mm difference affects the strength of the joint. Maybe a currently practicing engineer would be able to enlighten us.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Yes, actually I would expect the tolerance to be under 1mm. I'd expect that a decent quality wheel manufacturer could keep at least 3 sigmas of deviation, or 99.7%. For a 120mm hole, that's +/- 0.48mm.

Now I will readily admit it's been awhile since I've done a bolted joint analysis, so I can't tell you how much that 0.65mm difference affects the strength of the joint. Maybe a currently practicing engineer would be able to enlighten us.
You’re also assuming the studs on the hub are perfect 5x120. Next time you mount your wheel to the wheel hub, before you put the lug nuts on, look at how much play there is at the wheel holes.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
The Motegi is 250 a corner... Unless you’re shopping for used OEM rims, you probably won’t beat that price.
Got a full set with tires for 1400. and that price was not out of the ordinary either.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
yea, ive been looking for high offset but like other people mentioned above, the market isnt there since theres ~40k type R that most prob wont upgrade rims (lets say half at 20k) then the other half that already bought rims with +38-45 offset. which is split between all the wheel manufactures. not much left of the pie to come to market with +60.

So now the question is how much are you willing to pay. i need to downsize with the roads by me. and i deff pucker the cheeks at least a few times every time i drive. i think the price for a fully forged set in a spec you want would be worth it or you'll just be settling for something you dont really want it checks all the right boxes.

Titan 7 TS5 in 19x9.5 +45 in bronze would be my pick but seems that dont make them. at 650+ a rim and 2400 a set. a set of monoblock forged from BC Forged for 2900 seems pretty good. and you can have it in any color they offer and offset you want. im eyeing 19x9.5 +55 60.

yea, its WAY more expensive than the Motegi, but i wont be settling in any department. but they will make you pay for it.

would i be happy with the Motegi's? Probably. will they be the ones i want? nope.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s kind of pushing the flexibility at this point. The fact of the matter is that unless someone is downgrading from a Type R to another Civic, there’s no reason why someone would want to purchase rims for the Type R + adapters. To be honest, the selection for the 5x114.2 that the 10th gen Civics has it much larger when it comes to rims.
OT: The number of tire kickers on OfferUp and here is disheartening. I’m better off keeping my factory CTR wheels (with tires) and use them on my grocery getting Civic sedan; only need some adapters for around $180 and they don’t look half bad on a sedan. OfferUp is a cesspool. I’m getting a lot trolls who hit and run and there’s one on here too who contacted me twice and never reply back after I replied. Discourtesy at its finest.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
yea, ive been looking for high offset but like other people mentioned above, the market isnt there since theres ~40k type R that most prob wont upgrade rims (lets say half at 20k) then the other half that already bought rims with +38-45 offset. which is split between all the wheel manufactures. not much left of the pie to come to market with +60.

So now the question is how much are you willing to pay. i need to downsize with the roads by me. and i deff pucker the cheeks at least a few times every time i drive. i think the price for a fully forged set in a spec you want would be worth it or you'll just be settling for something you dont really want it checks all the right boxes.

Titan 7 TS5 in 19x9.5 +45 in bronze would be my pick but seems that dont make them. at 650+ a rim and 2400 a set. a set of monoblock forged from BC Forged for 2900 seems pretty good. and you can have it in any color they offer and offset you want. im eyeing 19x9.5 +55 60.

yea, its WAY more expensive than the Motegi, but i wont be settling in any department. but they will make you pay for it.

would i be happy with the Motegi's? Probably. will they be the ones i want? nope.
Thanks for this - I am going to go with this sort of approach if I go smaller - get them custom with the 60 offset then I am in good shape. Those BC's look really good too!
Sponsored