EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Last week my TPMS went off once again driving down the highway. This time it was for real, pickup a couple of nails in one of my PS4s. I am running 265/40R18 on 18 inch 9.5 with +45 offsets. Couldn't patch. Fortunately, I had road hazard protection but need to wait for new tire. I still have my OEMs rims/tires (my wife makes fun of me for having 3 sets including winter, now she understands (sort of)). I have barely used the OEM setup in the past. I have noticed what everyone else has. Ride is better on 18s but not a huge difference. Much more paranoid about potholes on OEM setup. While overall grip might be down a bit with OEM, I really like the lack of torque steer with the OEM wheel tire setup. It's not bad with my PS4s but it's amazing how absent it is with OEM.

I wish someone would make a reasonably price 18 inch wheel with +60 offset. So many aftermarket wheels out there and a good number of these cars have been sold. Does anyone know why this hasn't happened?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Last week my TPMS went off once again driving down the highway. This time it was for real, pickup a couple of nails in one of my PS4s. I am running 265/40R18 on 18 inch 9.5 with +45 offsets. Couldn't patch. Fortunately, I had road hazard protection but need to wait for new tire. I still have my OEMs rims/tires (my wife makes fun of me for having 3 sets including winter, now she understands (sort of)). I have barely used the OEM setup in the past. I have noticed what everyone else has. Ride is better on 18s but not a huge difference. Much more paranoid about potholes on OEM setup. While overall grip might be down a bit with OEM, I really like the lack of torque steer with the OEM wheel tire setup. It's not bad with my PS4s but it's amazing how absent it is with OEM.

I wish someone would make a reasonably price 18 inch wheel with +60 offset. So many aftermarket wheels out there and a good number of these cars have been sold. Does anyone know why this hasn't happened?
The market for them hasn’t really been there. Most people who track their cars really don’t mind the small bit of torque steer. If you want a set of 18s that have a +60 offset you’ll probably need to find something custom. I don’t remember which ones, but some of the fully forged rims may have been offered +50 or above. If you go 19” the Motegi MR924 offer a +53 while the front NSX wheels offer a +55 (also a 19”); those tend to be more popular if you want to stick to an offset closer to stock.

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The market for them hasn’t really been there.
Are you sure? My understanding is that CTR eliminates torque steer by aligning scrub angle with midline of the tire. Larger rims and wheel with +60 should also reduce torque steer as long as diameters remain the same (that is my understanding but I could be wrong). Who prefers more torque steer? I agree we TOLERATE torque steer because we don't have a choice if we want large rims (that's the compromise I made). There are dozens of different rims available, there is robust a for aftermarket for CTR rims. One of my caveats in my question is reasonably priced. Clearly one could make +60 aftermarket rims but if making such rims exclusively for CTR would make them too expensive, that would make sense.

I guess what I am asking how expensive would it be to make a good, light weight +60 18 rim compared to all the other ones that are out there. If the development costs are too high compared to how many you might sell, then that would explain why they don't exist. I don't know how much this stuff costs.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
You could contact Enkei and see if they'd be interested in making a 18" CTR specific offset custom wheel. Chances are, there's probably not enough demand to do a custom size. You'd also probably need quite a bit of clout like Evasive.

I don't think development costs would be very high. You would just use an existing wheel design and make a custom offset.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Are you sure? My understanding is that CTR eliminates torque steer by aligning scrub angle with midline of the tire. Larger rims and wheel with +60 should also reduce torque steer as long as diameters remain the same (that is my understanding but I could be wrong). Who prefers more torque steer? I agree we TOLERATE torque steer because we don't have a choice if we want large rims (that's the compromise I made). There are dozens of different rims available, there is robust a for aftermarket for CTR rims. One of my caveats in my question is reasonably priced. Clearly one could make +60 aftermarket rims but if making such rims exclusively for CTR would make them too expensive, that would make sense.

I guess what I am asking how expensive would it be to make a good, light weight +60 18 rim compared to all the other ones that are out there. If the development costs are too high compared to how many you might sell, then that would explain why they don't exist. I don't know how much this stuff costs.
If the market was there for the rims, there would be a lot more of them. Most drivers who track their cars or even DD their cars don’t have much issue with the slight bit of torque steering that a +45 or +38 rim brings. I’m running a +42. I won’t deny that torque steer doesn’t exist, but it’s not bad. +60 (and offsets in that area) will reduce and remove the torque steer For sure.

If you really want a +60 18” rim, you’d need to have it custom made for you.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
The lack of 60 offset wheels has kept me from purchasing any wheels from the aftermarket. I bought a second set of the stock wheels instead.

Again, maybe there isn't a market, but I can only share my personal decision.

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If the market was there for the rims, there would be a lot more of them. Most drivers who track their cars or even DD their cars don’t have much issue with the slight bit of torque steering that a +45 or +38 rim brings. I’m running a +42. I won’t deny that torque steer doesn’t exist, but it’s not bad. +60 (and offsets in that area) will reduce and remove the torque steer For sure.

If you really want a +60 18” rim, you’d need to have it custom made for you.
Wouldn’t you rather NOT have torque steer? We accept it. I agree. I accepted it. If I didn’t have to have torque steer I would be happier. I can’t be the only one. From a previous poster, I’m not. Why isn’t this need met by the aftermarket?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Wouldn’t you rather NOT have torque steer? We accept it. I agree. I accepted it. If I didn’t have to have torque steer I would be happier. I can’t be the only one. From a previous poster, I’m not. Why isn’t this need met by the aftermarket?
Honestly, the amount of torque steer I get is very small and I barely even notice it. Would it be nice to have no torque steer? Yeah... The cost you have to pay to do that (basically a custom rim), not worth it IMO. As for why this need isn’t met by the aftermarket, it’s not a huge issue. I doubt that if they released a +60 rim a bunch of us that already bought rims will flock out and buy them as the upgrade wouldn’t be as wroth-while; thousand(s) of dollars just to get rid of a tiny bit of torque steer?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The lack of 60 offset wheels has kept me from purchasing any wheels from the aftermarket. I bought a second set of the stock wheels instead.

Again, maybe there isn't a market, but I can only share my personal decision.
Motegi MR924 or Acura NSX 19” rims. They’re +53 and +55, respectively and shouldn’t carry much, if any, torque steer.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
My point is that there seems like a business opportunity that is not being met. I am wondering why it isn't. If a company would offer +60 offset 18 inch wheels that were just as strong, just as good looking, just as light and for a similar cost as others out there now, seems like they could corner the market for future rims. Maybe one of those criteria above can't be easily achieved. That is my question. I assume someone around here knows quite a bit about making rims since I have read threads from people who seem to have real expertise in various fields.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
My point is that there seems like a business opportunity that is not being met. I am wondering why it isn't. If a company would offer +60 offset 18 inch wheels that were just as strong, just as good looking, just as light and for a similar cost as others out there now, seems like they could corner the market for future rims. Maybe one of those criteria above can't be easily achieved. That is my question. I assume someone around here knows quite a bit about making rims since I have read threads from people who seem to have real expertise in various fields.
The question really then is -

What other cars would benefit from this size of wheel with that offset?

If it's just the Type R - then nobody will make it for such a small market. There are some people that change wheels, most stay stock by and large it feels. Either way they would need more cars that the wheel would fit on to make it viable. Most consumers don't even know what an offset is lol.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I felt the same way, but came to the conclusion that a custom forged wheel would be the only way to get ET60. Besides that, I think a group buy for enkei could work with something like 20 sets, you could contact them, or Advan for that matter. I ended up getting 18X9 ET53 advan wheels and that was close enough for me.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Motegi MR924 or Acura NSX 19” rims. They’re +53 and +55, respectively and shouldn’t carry much, if any, torque steer.
But those are more expensive than the stock wheels. Especially with so many stock wheels floating around used.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
But those are more expensive than the stock wheels. Especially with so many stock wheels floating around used.
The Motegi is 250 a corner... Unless you’re shopping for used OEM rims, you probably won’t beat that price.
Sponsored