First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hello everyone,
So my 2017 SI coupe will not go into second, fourth, and sixth. It just started tonight. I have 34,725 miles on the car so I think i'll take it to the dealer to see if it might be covered under warranty. But I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are.
Earlier in the day I had gone to put it into reverse while still moving forward and it grinded a little bit but I thought nothing of it. When I got in my car tonight & drove it first, third, fifth, & reverse are butter but the other 3 if I do manage to push it in it slips out.
Couldn't find anything related to this on the threads here but found these on other sites.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...ft+into+2nd+or+4th+gear+but+fine+on+1st,+3rd,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/141045-unable-engage-2nd-4th-reverse-gears.html

Very much hoping that there is just something stuck & its not the syncro :(
Sponsored

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Typically, synchro failures affect shifting into a certain gear, not a set of gears. There’s synchros between pairs of gears but it would be near impossible to damage all of them at once.

Since the affected gears are all towards the rear of the shift pattern, it would seem like something is blocking the shift linkage. That could be the shift cable itself, the shift arm on the outside of the trans, or worse case, the shift forks inside the trans.

Remember how I said it’s near impossible to damage all the synchros at once? It’s because the shift fork assembly is designed to move one and only one shift fork at a time. If one is in gear, the other 2 are locked.

Now if you grinded reverse gear bad enough, you may have chipped a tooth and it jammed something in the shift fork assembly locking out selective gears. Unfortunately while all this speculation is free, be prepared for the dealership to ask for some diagnosis fee or transmission tear down labor before theY conclude that it’s a warranty issue. Just a heads up.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since the affected gears are all towards the rear of the shift pattern, it would seem like something is blocking the shift linkage.
It could be a failed engine mount as well- the engine would be at an angle preventing the shift linkage to engage properly.

OP
OP
MDSI

MDSI

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm all very good points, thank you.

OP
OP
MDSI

MDSI

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update:
Welp, I played with chance & lost. Drove to work yesterday & on the way home it locked up I guess on me? I went from 1st to 3rd and then it was the weirdest thing I guess it got locked into 3rd? U can push the shifter way forward & way backward but it won’t go side to side. I think it’s just stuck in 3rd now. Clutch still has pressure & when u push it in its disengages. Had to have it towed to the dealership. Thankfully I have a second form of transpo. Tow truck driver said he’d never seen a manual shift like it is right now, or not shift. He thought maybe the linkage/ connector had become loose, but couldn’t tell because of the under shields.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this is the same Si that a Honda tech posted about a month or 2 ago.

OP
OP
MDSI

MDSI

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this is the same Si that a Honda tech posted about a month or 2 ago.
Very possible, the dealer finished it in a couple of days. I just hadn't uploaded the pics. Do you know what thread it was under?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Very possible, the dealer finished it in a couple of days. I just hadn't uploaded the pics. Do you know what thread it was under?
im trying to find it. i cant remember the title. something like “Si driver slamming gears like a racecar driver breaks through shift lever”

OP
OP
MDSI

MDSI

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
im trying to find it. i cant remember the title. something like “Si driver slamming gears like a racecar driver breaks through shift lever”
Haha yeah, the service advisor left me a funny VM saying that she's never seen that part break before. I'm still very surprised & very thankful that it was covered under warranty.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So in the end it was covered under warranty & apparently was the shifter change lever arm.

DEALER INVOICE - 1.jpg

DEALER INVOICE - 2.jpg

Not a cheap part...