17 Civic Touring sedan vs 17 Accord Sport CVT

HoosierDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima 10, Chrysler Town Country 12
Looked at both because in my area there are some killer lease deals right now on 17 Accord Sport w/CVT. Similar MSRPs, but way, WAY lower monthly payments with the Sport. (Must be relative oversupply of Sports just now. ) Test drove both (with DW) back-to-back on same flat route including rough local roads to smooth highway pavement.
Impressions:
Acceleration: Civic (1.5L). Kick in the pants from a standing start, especially with CVT in 'L'. Sport was adequate. Kept up with traffic, but slow by comparison.
Handling: Civic. More precise transitions. Less body lean on round-a-bouts at same speed. A bit surprising considering 17 vs 19in wheels and lesser AS Firestones vs Sport's Michelins.
Ride: Accord, but surprisingly not by much. Only slightly more compliant over rough pavement. Ride in both is taught & controlled, neither punishing nor busy.
Noise: Civic. Surprised both me & DW, but the Accord Sport clearly allowed more road noise intrusion.
Features: Touring hands down (Leather, Honda Sense, Better stereo w/sub, power passenger seat, HomeLink, roof, heated seats F & Rr). And the interior coachwork in the Civic (armrests, door panels, dash, etc.) looked and felt more upscale than the 17 (but NOT 18!) Sport. The expanses of glossy black plastic on the Accord console looked cheap. Although the Accord does have a volume knob ;)
Interior room: Accord, of course. More hip/shoulder room F & Rr, and MUCH larger rear seat. Civic's rear seat is adequate for 2 normal adults, but Accord's is like a limo by comparison.
Trunk: Accord, but not by much. But in some ways Civic may be more versatile due to larger opening with seats folded.
CVT's in both were very smooth & never intrusive. No 'rubber band' effect like some other CVTs. Both mated well to their engines keeping the revs where they should be for the driver's demands. Not a good MT or DCT, but better than any other CVTs I've driven.

Overall the Civic was more fun to drive, and IMHO the clear choice for those who don't need a large rear seat.
Sponsored

Last edited:

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Looked at both because in my area there are some killer lease deals right now on 17 Accord Sport w/CVT. Similar MSRPs, but way, WAY lower monthly payments with the Sport. (Must be relative oversupply of Sports just now. ) Test drove both (with DW) back-to-back on same flat route including rough local roads to smooth highway pavement.
Impressions:
Acceleration: Civic (1.5L). Kick in the pants from a standing start, especially with CVT in 'L'. Sport was adequate. Kept up with traffic, but slow by comparison.
Handling: Civic. More precise transitions. Less body lean on round-a-bouts at same speed. A bit surprising considering 17 vs 19in wheels and lesser AS Firestones vs Sport's Michelins.
Ride: Accord, but surprisingly not by much. Only slightly more compliant over rough pavement. Ride in both is taught & controlled, neither punishing nor busy.
Noise: Civic. Surprised both me & DW, but the Accord Sport clearly allowed more road noise intrusion.
Features: Touring hands down (Leather, Honda Sense, Better stereo w/sub, power passenger seat, HomeLink, roof, heated seats F & Rr). And the interior coachwork in the Civic (armrests, door panels, dash, etc.) looked and felt more upscale than the 17 (but NOT 18!) Sport. The expanses of glossy black plastic on the Accord console looked cheap. Although the Accord does have a volume knob ;)
Interior room: Accord, of course. More hip/shoulder room F & Rr, and MUCH larger rear seat. Civic's rear seat is adequate for 2 normal adults, but Accord's is like a limo by comparison.
Trunk: Accord, but not by much. But in some ways Civic may be more versatile due to larger opening with seats folded.
CVT's in both were very smooth & never intrusive. No 'rubber band' effect like some other CVTs. Both mated well to their engines keeping the revs where they should be for the driver's demands. Not a good MT or DCT, but better than any other CVTs I've driven.

Overall the Civic was more fun to drive, and IMHO the clear choice for those who don't need a large rear seat.
Your review is pretty much spot on. I traded my 14 Accord Sport for a 17 Civic Touring and never looked back. More power in the Civic especially with Ktuner. Both cars handled very good but able to toss the lighter Civic around better. I think my Civic actually rides better as the Michelin MXM4s rode pretty rough on the Accord. Civic is definitely quieter with better mileage.
Both CVTs worked extremely well. I sort of preferred the Accord for not having the simulated shift points. Taking off from a stop is the CVTs weakness but once moving it was very smooth and responsive. More smiles per mile in the Civic.