'17 Civic Steering Clunk

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I've done some searching and don't believe I've come across a thread detailing my exact issue. I'm going to bring it to the dealer soon and I know noises are hard to diagnose on the web, but am curious if anyone could provide some insight.

2017 Civic Hatchback LX bought back in August. I now have about 4,800 miles on it. When turning the wheel at slow speeds (in parking lots, for example) I hear a "clunk" or "thud" that sometimes sounds like it is coming from the steering rack and other times sounds like it is coming from either of the front wheels. When I'm on the road and I make a turn, I do NOT get any of the noises. Of course, I think the steering might feel a bit sluggish or loose, but that might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Any ideas what the issue might be?
Sponsored

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get it to the dealer and see what they say.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dealer said my lugs weren't quite torqued to spec so they set them properly. The noise is slightly less noticeable now, but it is still there. It also seems to be more pronounced the colder it is outside (under freezing, for example).

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've done some searching and don't believe I've come across a thread detailing my exact issue.
Any ideas what the issue might be?
Made in america. I'm sorry but I see so many of these issues that affect the sedan and coupe but not the hatch. It just needs to be said, deal with it. and I'm talking about the plants where these cars are made.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
check your cv boots for dryness
some members had to spray some kind of lube on them

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11,000 miles of smiles driving and no lube needed. a factory freak, is what they call these type of cars? A car that performs above and beyond others, whats the phrase for that? factory phenom or something..?

moistener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm having this same problem not just at slow speeds but sometimes faster speeds (50km/h). The clunk or small vibration is coming from the front and it feels like it's eminated from the center of the car but I'm sure it's from the wheels.

I'll try to tighten my lugs and see if there's a difference.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
11,000 miles of smiles driving and no lube needed. a factory freak, is what they call these type of cars? A car that performs above and beyond others, whats the phrase for that? factory phenom or something..?
I said some which is very limited
@maddmatt02 had this problem and he sprayed some grease on his boots

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I said some which is very limited
@maddmatt02 had this problem and he sprayed some grease on his boots
Thanks for the video, but that isn't the sound that I have. I'll try to get a video of mine and post it.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've uploaded a quick video of the noise. My apologies for the quality, but I only have my iPhone available for recording. You'll need to turn the volume up a bit too.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I dont have headphones to hear it but have you taken it to the dealer yet?

moistener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I took my car to a shop and they sent one of my front end link snapped off, which is causing my clunking sound. I can't exactly tell from @SpoolAndGo 's clip if it's the same sound b/c the audio is kind of difficult to hear. I am lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Whiteline End Links. I'm going to put back my OEM ones since I have them on hand.

Perhaps check to see if you have bad endlinks?

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I dont have headphones to hear it but have you taken it to the dealer yet?
I did and all they did was retorque my lug nuts. The next morning, the sound was back. I'll be due for an oil change soon (at 40% now) so I'll mention this issue again.
So I took my car to a shop and they sent one of my front end link snapped off, which is causing my clunking sound. I can't exactly tell from @SpoolAndGo 's clip if it's the same sound b/c the audio is kind of difficult to hear. I am lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Whiteline End Links. I'm going to put back my OEM ones since I have them on hand.

Perhaps check to see if you have bad endlinks?
I'll try and get a better video of my sound.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, this is good info I think? This morning when I left for work, it was around 38 degrees F and this sound occurred. When I left work today, it was 65 degrees F and NO SOUND.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I've uploaded a quick video of the noise. My apologies for the quality, but I only have my iPhone available for recording. You'll need to turn the volume up a bit too.
OMG I have the same issue.

3-4 sec. mark.

I opened a thread and I just saw yours. Maybe the mods can merge them?
https://www.civicx.com/threads/clicking-noise-from-the-driver-side.21474/

glad I'm not the only one. But from my experience, seems like the sound occurs louder when the car has been driven. But...it has been colder lately and I feel like I am hearing the noise more than before, say summer or fall time. I'll check my lug nuts tomorrow.
Sponsored

Last edited: