17 Civic HB vs 17 Subaru Impreza

rundcm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic LX HB
It was time to purchase new car for household after 10 years. Purchased 2 (new) & not by design within 2 weeks of each other. test drove Nissan rouge, Altima, Ford Focus, & couple other similar. Went to Honda dealership after test drive of Subaru HB. My (kid) whose turn it was -for new vehicle liked Subie Impreza. I wanted her to get the Honda. She sat in Civic - but never drove & said didnā€™t have visibility of Subaru. I really wanted her to drive Honda but dealship just closed, so no test drive. She Insisted the Subaru-was car for her, it was last ā€˜17 on lot with heated seats, apple car play, AWD & 0 % financing in price range, So, it was purchased. I rode in it as passenger but never drove it. A week later, our 10 year old 140k SUV developed minor oil leak. So, it was time to shop for replacement. This, My unsatisfed desire of driving & owning Honda Civic was completed. Iā€™ve put 3,000 miles on it & driven Subaru Impreza 8 miles. I can tell you Subaru feels a bit solid compared to Honda . It has better visibility. It has a nicer radio control interface . One would NOT be disappointed owning the ā€˜17 Subaru. The total cost OTD for either car was within $300.00. However The Civic HB was choice for me. It may well be fastest car owned since 71 442 big block conv. from years ago. Civic feels ā€œlight-footedā€ compared to the Subie, More important tho, My Housing and vehicle administration (wife) approves of Honda. It is rare the wife would approve of anything I had exclusive decision making with wheels- whether 2 wheels bicycle, scooter, moto, etc or 4 . But she definitely approves & likes Civic. So, all in all - kids happy with choice & so are we. Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have 2 new civics in driveway, unless one was a Type R.
Sponsored

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I cross-shopped the Impreza too before deciding on the Civic. The new Impreza has different advantages over Civic (and other compact cars for that matter). Like you mentioned, the visibility is superb. Doors open wide for easy access. The ride, though noticeably slower than the Civic, is more planted (due to AWD and weight). Steering is light, but the turning radius is tiny; making it a nimble car.

At the end of the day, my daily commute in my neighborhood didn't call for a AWD. With the Civic, I also save on gas, insurance cost, and long term maintenance cost (I owned an AWD sedan before, so I know the added costs). If I ever need AWD, Subaru Impreza is definitely on the top of my list.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Cannot get over just how slow the Subaru is. My parents have a manual Sport(17) You pretty much have to floor it just to keep up with traffic away from a stop. Too bad as they really did a good job with the interior fit/finish/layout. Like the styling too.

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
Cannot get over just how slow the Subaru is. My parents have a manual Sport(17) You pretty much have to floor it just to keep up with traffic away from a stop. Too bad as they really did a good job with the interior fit/finish/layout. Like the styling too.
This ^
I test drove a manual one and it felt incredibly slow, it does require a gas pedal mashing to keep up with the flow of traffic. Everything else was cool though.

loutamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I test drove Impreza too before taking delivery my Honda, yes Impreza more kind like solid feel driving due to 4 wd. However, worries me is the oil consumption leaks that happening. I searched the internet all over in regards to that I don't know if the 2017 Impreza is fixed. I decided to stay away from the boxer engine due to that issue.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I test drove Impreza too before taking delivery my Honda, yes Impreza more kind like solid feel driving due to 4 wd. However, worries me is the oil consumption leaks that happening. I searched the internet all over in regards to that I don't know if the 2017 Impreza is fixed. I decided to stay away from the boxer engine due to that issue.
AWD is also a bit more costly when it comes to tire-related repairs. It's those little things that add up compared to the relatively "no-frills" ownership of a Civic.

With that said, the Impreza is great value for those who need AWD (alternatives would be like luxury sedans/wagons which cost at like $10k more).

loutamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
AWD is also a bit more costly when it comes to tire-related repairs. It's those little things that add up compared to the relatively "no-frills" ownership of a Civic.

With that said, the Impreza is great value for those who need AWD (alternatives would be like luxury sedans/wagons which cost at like $10k more).

For me that live in SoCal, there is no need to justify AWD for daily driving. Don't give me wrong, Impreza has solid feel compare to Civic HB, at the end I chose the economical side of it plus owning Civic has more to customize compare to Impreza
Sponsored