Joecascio2000

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I have a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L 1.5 engine. It uses the new 1234yf. The AC stopped working and I received a diagnostic that stated: compressor casing leaking, front seal leaking, visible refrigerant oil near backside of clutch. Recommend replacing compressor assembly evac and recharge.

I was quoted $3000 for the repair. I noticed the dealership has a ridiculous +100% markup on all the parts. My car is 4 years old with under 34,000 miles. It's not covered under warranty.

Is this a common issue? Most of the mechanics around me do not have the machine to recharge 1234yf.
Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I have a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L 1.5 engine. It uses the new 1234yf. The AC stopped working and I received a diagnostic that stated: compressor casing leaking, front seal leaking, visible refrigerant oil near backside of clutch. Recommend replacing compressor assembly evac and recharge.

I was quoted $3000 for the repair. I noticed the dealership has a ridiculous +100% markup on all the parts. My car is 4 years old with under 34,000 miles. It's not covered under warranty.

Is this a common issue? Most of the mechanics around me do not have the machine to recharge 1234yf.
Compressor failures have been getting more common lately and there’s many threads with people in the same boat as you. My compressor went out in 2019 and I finally decided to buy a remanufactured one on eBay for $100 and after 2 weeks it’s still blowing ice cold.

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Yes this is common but I think more people are having issues with leaks in the condenser which then leads to compressor failures. I would have them check for leaks on the condenser otherwise your compressor will just fail again once all the refrigerant leaks out through the condenser. Issues with the condenser should be covered by Honda as they put an extended warranty on this part.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Yes this is common but I think more people are having issues with leaks in the condenser which then leads to compressor failures. I would have them check for leaks on the condenser otherwise your compressor will just fail again once all the refrigerant leaks out through the condenser. Issues with the condenser should be covered by Honda as they put an extended warranty on this part.
I thought hatchbacks weren't included in the warranty extension?

OP
OP
Joecascio2000

Joecascio2000

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I thought hatchbacks weren't included in the warranty extension?
That's correct. Hatchback VINS were not included in the condenser warranty extension. The part number is different but is nearly identical and suffers from the same issues. Honda excluding the hatchbacks is uncalled for.

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just found this out by calling my local dealer service center and giving them my VIN when asking about the TSB. They said it wasn't covered.

Haven't had my 17 Hatch looked at yet but I'm over 100k and it's just started blowing cooler... Not awful yet... But noticeably warmer.

sdmk261

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback ST
Country flag
My '17 civic hatchback A/C stopped working last month too. Today the dealer told me the condenser has a leak, which is indeed covered, but they said the compressor is also leaking, so my bill is about $2,000 to get my A/C fixed even though Honda is "covering" the new condenser under the extended warranty...

shetang

First Name
Sherry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
My 19’ civic hatchback A/C also stopped working— compressor leaking…why Honda only extend their warranty for condenser?
Sponsored