17Civic SI sedan
Similar numbers
0-60 BRZ 6.2 vs 6.3
1/4 mile tie at 14.8. SI 96mph vs 95
0-100 SI 15.9 vs 16.3
0-130 SI 34.4 vs 37.0
Skidpad SI .97 VS .90
60-0 SI 159-163

As the above poster said the feel is much different. I was really disappointed with the engine in the BRZ. (156 lb-ft) A WRX engine in this would be amazing...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-subaru-brz-manual-test-review

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
your comparing 2 different cars.

Numbers may be the similiar but the driving feel alone is totally different.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I acknowledged that:coffee:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
:rant::D

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
86/BRZ drives amazing. Had one a few yrs ago, and i had people driving cars close to 100k that were amazed how closely i kept up with the supercars. (IN CANYONS) but the Si is a different purpose car. If i had no reason for seats 3,4,5..... i would of got one again. Those are a whole lotta fun.

But if u dont have fun roads around and u live in flatlands well, then just get the Si

ssmith

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota 4Runner, 90 Civic SI, 17 Civic SI
Country flag
I really love the Frs/Brz but the engine is a disappointment. Ive been going back and forth in my head with which to get but the interior and engine is better in the SI. The MPG is also better and i'm sure the insurance cost is cheaper too. Love the body styling of the FRS and the feel of a RWD car but it is not as practical. I can see myself turning it into a drift car and 3 years later I'm looking to buy a civic as a daily....

clayky

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I really love the Frs/Brz but the engine is a disappointment. Ive been going back and forth in my head with which to get but the interior and engine is better in the SI. The MPG is also better and i'm sure the insurance cost is cheaper too. Love the body styling of the FRS and the feel of a RWD car but it is not as practical. I can see myself turning it into a drift car and 3 years later I'm looking to buy a civic as a daily....
I had my eye on a great looking Toyota 86, but at the end of the day it's overpriced, terrible gas mileage (considering need for premium), much slower than it looks, and with a $31k price tag, didn't even offer satellite radio. Insurance not too much of a factor in my case: $383 every 6 months for the 86 versus $364 for an Si coupe.

sibanez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag
Funny, currently drive a BRZ and before that, a 2015 WRX. I'm buying a 2017 SI on Saturday. I've autocrossed both cars at over 40 events and got to run an event in a new SI. If I had room for more cars, didn't have two kids and wasn't paying for insurance for a 16-year-old, I'd keep the BRZ. Regretfully, four cars parked at my house is one too many. The BRZ is the razor's edge, the SI is the edge of a good, all-purpose knife. Both are sharp, but the BRZ is built for one purpose while the SI is easy to live with and should be fun on the autocross course.

Handling:
The BRZ, at the very edge, is one of the best handling cars you can buy. That's the thing, the SI is easier to drive fast and while it won't have that instant turn-in and rotation that the BRZ does, the performance is much more accessible. I have yet to drive a stock car that turns in as quickly as the BRZ, even the ND Miata feels slow on turn-in comparatively speaking. The BRZ's rear will come around quickly if you don't respect the throttle on a cold or rainy day. FWD just feels more secure and is easier to push on a new course or back country road.

Interior:
The BRZ's interior is a slight upgrade from my old 1996 Integra GSR. It's basic, functional and the cup holders suck. The seats hold you in all the right ways and don't beat you up too bad, but there's a compromise. The SI feels much higher-end and outside of not having enough head room with a helmet on, is a much better daily driver. Oh yeah, the BRZ stereo is one of the worst sounding devices I've ever used.

Looks:
The BRZ will snap necks, the SI will get lost with the countless other Civics.

Engine:
The torque dip never bothered me in the BRZ since you can just keep the revs up on an autocross course. The car holds momentum so well that you can largely drive around the dip. The SI feels much stronger in the 2-5k range, but dies off completely around 6k. It reminds me of the 15 WRX in this manner, where you really should short shift it once you get out of boost. Low-end goes to the BRZ, but it does sound like a tractor so are you really surprised. The SI's powerband feels like it will be more fun in daily driving conditions.

Aldoraine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had a 2013 FRS before buying my 17' Si. I'm switching to a 4 door since I have my first kid on the way, had a 2013 Si and loved it, so the new Si was an easy choice. Mine was tuned to "Stage 2" with a header, full exhaust, intake, on fully adjustable coilovers. I loved that car, but honestly, the Si is faster than my FRS even at Stage 2. The handling on the FRS will trump the Si all day, but not by much honestly. The Si is surprising, feels incredible in the corners. I live in a place where it's all twisty mountain roads, longest straight we have is about a mile long. The 86 is a fun weekend / track car, but just doesn't make a good daily driver. The ride, handling, and features of the Si make it the superior fun daily driver in my opinion. The FRS was super fun at first, but driving it every day gets a little old, especially modded. Slap an intake on the Si, and the sound of the turbo spooling and dumping will make you not want an N/A car ever again.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I had a 2013 FRS before buying my 17' Si. I'm switching to a 4 door since I have my first kid on the way, had a 2013 Si and loved it, so the new Si was an easy choice. Mine was tuned to "Stage 2" with a header, full exhaust, intake, on fully adjustable coilovers. I loved that car, but honestly, the Si is faster than my FRS even at Stage 2. The handling on the FRS will trump the Si all day, but not by much honestly. The Si is surprising, feels incredible in the corners. I live in a place where it's all twisty mountain roads, longest straight we have is about a mile long. The 86 is a fun weekend / track car, but just doesn't make a good daily driver. The ride, handling, and features of the Si make it the superior fun daily driver in my opinion. The FRS was super fun at first, but driving it every day gets a little old, especially modded. Slap an intake on the Si, and the sound of the turbo spooling and dumping will make you not want an N/A car ever again.
Hehe funny you mention the spool. One of the best sounds ever heard on a stock turbo was the eclipse 2nd gen turbocharged. (Largely influenced me to buy the Si, even the sound on the Si isn't there, the turbo kick is very much present) Never Naturally aspirated again, in low displacement engines. Unless we are talking V6s or V8s over 3Liters

simply_the_best

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (FC1), 1999 Toyota Corolla
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I replaced my 2013 Vortech supercharged FR-S on flex fuel with a 2017 Civic Si Sedan. I'm still not regretting the choice one bit. :D
Sponsored