Mellorello

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Hey guys im looking at getting rims/ tires for my Civic LX coupe ! I’m looking at Enkei 17”/8 rims .

I went to a few rim shops and one place tells me I would need 215/50R17 and the other says 225/45R17 !

I’m confused to what I would actually need?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hey guys im looking at getting rims/ tires for my Civic LX coupe ! I’m looking at Enkei 17”/8 rims .

I went to a few rim shops and one place tells me I would need 215/50R17 and the other says 225/45R17 !

I’m confused to what I would actually need?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
I am no expert here, but from what I have read.

For a given diameter wheel rim
The as the Tyre width goes up (1st Number), the Width/tire height goes down, to maintain the same overall tire Diameter.

SO, #1 select your wheel rim diameter (say 17")

The select the tire width you want.(or think you want, that won't be toooo wide)

Then from that, calculate the ratio you need to get the right overall wheel diameter.
(Plenty of Online Tire calculators will do this, and show you the results, )

Now you have your Tire size selected.

You then need to go back to the Rim, and find one of that 17" Diameter, that will accommodate your selected tire Width.

Then there is the Offset to consider ( I still don't fully understand that, but I think it might be somewhat fixed for a given model car)

Then you go find the Wheel Rim design you want ( and can afford !!)
Then you go find the make and class of the tires you want ( and can afford)

Then you need to make sure that your selected wheel rims clear the Brake Units.

Then come back here(and elsewhere) and ask a few here, who knows what they are talking about (ie Not me), what they think about your choice.

Finally, decide if you want to risk the Big Bucks, buying something that may or may not work, and that may throw the whole car off balance and make it a PITA to drive.

Bottom line, its a lot more than just picking some COOL looking Sexy wheels !!

OP
OP

Mellorello

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
I am no expert here, but from what I have read.

For a given diameter wheel rim
The as the Tyre width goes up (1st Number), the Width/tire height goes down, to maintain the same overall tire Diameter.

SO, #1 select your wheel rim diameter (say 17")

The select the tire width you want.(or think you want, that won't be toooo wide)

Then from that, calculate the ratio you need to get the right overall wheel diameter.
(Plenty of Online Tire calculators will do this, and show you the results, )

Now you have your Tire size selected.

You then need to go back to the Rim, and find one of that 17" Diameter, that will accommodate your selected tire Width.

Then there is the Offset to consider ( I still don't fully understand that, but I think it might be somewhat fixed for a given model car)

Then you go find the Wheel Rim design you want ( and can afford !!)
Then you go find the make and class of the tires you want ( and can afford)

Then you need to make sure that your selected wheel rims clear the Brake Units.

Then come back here(and elsewhere) and ask a few here, who knows what they are talking about (ie Not me), what they think about your choice.

Finally, decide if you want to risk the Big Bucks, buying something that may or may not work, and that may throw the whole car off balance and make it a PITA to drive.

Bottom line, its a lot more than just picking some COOL looking Sexy wheels !!
Thanks man! I hear ya ! I guess going with the 215/50/17 would be the way to go since it’s Used on the ext model! I might have to find a rim that is 7 inch wide!

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Your civic came on 16s, right? If so, they came on 215/55/R16 tires. In order to upside to 17s, you need a wider tire (>215) and/or lower sidewall (<55) to maintain the diameter. Both 215/50R17 and 225/45R17 are within the +/- 3% differential to be okay. However, if you notice Honda's specs, the LX comes on 215/55/R16 and the touring comes on 215/50R17 (0.8% difference). One speedo calibration, both tires produce the same number.

I'd go for the 215/50R17 tire. It can be safely mounted on any rim 6 - 7.5" wide.

OP
OP

Mellorello

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Your civic came on 16s, right? If so, they came on 215/55/R16 tires. In order to upside to 17s, you need a wider tire (>215) and/or lower sidewall (<55) to maintain the diameter. Both 215/50R17 and 225/45R17 are within the +/- 3% differential to be okay. However, if you notice Honda's specs, the LX comes on 215/55/R16 and the touring comes on 215/50R17 (0.8% difference). One speedo calibration, both tires produce the same number.

I'd go for the 215/50R17 tire. It can be safely mounted on any rim 6 - 7.5" wide.
Ahhhh ok ! Makes more sense for the 215/50R17 ! Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Buying a 2016 LX. Would 2016 SI rims fit on the LX? There a buying guide out there for tire/wheel size for the civic LX?

Can the 2016 civic LS basically acoomodate the following:

Honda Civic All Except Si / Type R
2016 to 2019
5x114.3
(16x7) to (19x8.5)
+38mm to +48mm

Last edited:

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
For an 8" rim, I would suggest a 225 width tire. No point going to an 8" if sticking with the stock 215 imho.

Use a tire calculator: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

You can plug and play different tire sizes and see how when you go to a larger rim (16 to a 17) you then need to reduce the sidewall (55 to a 45) to maintain the same or similar outside diameter.

225/45-17

225 = tire width measured in mm
45 = aspect ratio. The percentage of the sidewall height to the tread width. 45% of treadwith is the tire sidewall height in this example
17 = rim diameter in inches.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I would go with a 235/45-17. The 17 inch that come stock on the civic are 7” wide so 215/50-17 is fine. But those you are buying are 8” wide so you got an extra inch. A 235/45-17 gives you just short of an extra inch in width while maintaining almost the same exact height as the factory tire. So your speedometer will not be off and your tires will fit the rim properly. Here is a couple screen shots of the comparison off of tire size.com. You could go there yourself and compare options. But I think the 235/45-17 is probably the best imo
Honda Civic 10th gen 17” rims for Civic LX? Tires? 6914E8EA-B39B-4845-83F2-611AB03D7A76
Honda Civic 10th gen 17” rims for Civic LX? Tires? 86FF7418-28E1-4ED9-8B4F-FFF413D00EB6