'16 Parking Brake Light Flashing (Parking Brake Issue)

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
'16 Civic LX, 6MT. I just got my tires replaced and everything worked fine before the service.

When you pull up the parking brake switch (engine on), the parking brake won't engage; red "BRAKE" light would flash; the yellow "BRAKE SYSTEM" light would be on solid.

If you shut the engine off, a few seconds later, you can hear the parking brake engage. I checked - both rear brakes engaged, not just one. When you turn the engine on, the red "BRAKE" light stays on (normal, just as when parking brake works normally). You can disengage and all seems normal. But if you try to engage the P-brake again, the symptom repeats.

Some more info:
- Brake Hold function works as normal
- Checked the brake fluid, it's full to the Max line
- Checked the rear brake units and the wires to the brake calipers - all seems normal
- Disconnected the battery and reconnect - did not fix the problem
- Inspect the calipers, no leaks
- Brake system bled 2 months ago
- Checked the brake fluid sensor at the reservoir (under the hood), connection seems fine and solid - no obvious wire breaks
- Ran OBD II diagnostics, no error code
- Battery voltage is 13V, engine off - good here.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
You already checked everything I would know to check.

I would talk to the manager of the tire place and explain the situation. If they are honest and 'can do' people; maybe they will be helpful. It does seem like something happened during that process.

If they shrug their shoulders and your 13V battery is old; I'd replace it just to rule it out.

This is why I hate the E-brake. And I wish ya' good luck.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey,

Sorry to hear about this incident. You need a proper scan tool. Something like an x34 can read the modulator codes. If brake pressure is there, it could be any of the 40 modulator wires that were clipped and need to be patched up. Shouldnt be anything serious. If you dont want the hassle of fixing it yourself, a honda dealer will diagnose the issue easily. If its just electrical, I estimate youll be charged for 3 or so hours of labor at a dealer. Hopefully the blame can be put on the tire place easily and theyll own up to it and pay it if you go that route. Good luck!

Nick

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
The one thing I can't get over is the fact that the Brake Hold function works (which utilizes the same parts/system) and that the EPB engages a few seconds after I turn the engine off....every...single...time.

This points to mechanically and electrically, everything is working. It's just that the EPB doesn't work when I want it to (when you press the button).

The brake system is fine as well.

I'm going back to Costco and speak to the manager there.

One thing I'll try is to manually reset the EPB position (as shown in the service manual, just as you do the rear pad service). So I'm waiting for the E11 Torx socket to come in.

I also checked at Honda.com - My car's VIN is not under recall.

It's pointing to software at this point.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Hmm... before you go nuts with adjusting the brakes...

I'm told that's a tricky procedure. Lost of non-Honda brake service places screw that up. Beware.

Also... I always assumed that the brake hold and hill assist used the E-brake. I'm told that this is not the case.

Not arguing. And I ain't no expert at anything. Just trying to be helpful.

My hunch is still that the Costco person hit something accidently when mounting your wheel.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The one thing I can't get over is the fact that the Brake Hold function works (which utilizes the same parts/system) and that the EPB engages a few seconds after I turn the engine off....every...single...time.

This points to mechanically and electrically, everything is working. It's just that the EPB doesn't work when I want it to (when you press the button).

The brake system is fine as well.

I'm going back to Costco and speak to the manager there.

One thing I'll try is to manually reset the EPB position (as shown in the service manual, just as you do the rear pad service). So I'm waiting for the E11 Torx socket to come in.

I also checked at Honda.com - My car's VIN is not under recall.

It's pointing to software at this point.

Were you able to scan the modulator error codes?

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Costco replaced my tires as I mentioned.

Agreed that they must've knocked something....or the impact guns send the shock back to the worm gears in the EPB motor and position got changed, etc. I doubt these places release the parking brake....because parking brakes help their job. It would've been OK with old cable parking brake.

The system is auto adjustment....I want to back off the EPB and let the system adjust again.

I will probably go to the dealer eventually and get the code looked up. I used my own (old) OBD2 and didn't come up with anything. You were right that you need Honda Data System or X431 reader....which I'm debating on buying. I just hate the dealer.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Thanks for that suggestion. Bought. Will report back if I have a DIY solution.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Used the Autel AP200 in EPS mode. Got code C1120:14 "Electric parking brake switch malfunction".

Followed the Service Manual and have no continuity when "Apply" (pull the Parking Brake switch up) between pin 1, 4, and 8 as they should per the manual.

All other switch functions have continuity as they should (Neutral and Released).

Ordered a new one, P/N 35355-TBA-A11 ('16, Civic LX, 6MT). We'll see if this fixes it.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Used the Autel AP200 in EPS mode. Got code C1120:14 "Electric parking brake switch malfunction".

Followed the Service Manual and have no continuity when "Apply" (pull the Parking Brake switch up) between pin 1, 4, and 8 as they should per the manual.

All other switch functions have continuity as they should (Neutral and Released).

Ordered a new one, P/N 35355-TBA-A11 ('16, Civic LX, 6MT). We'll see if this fixes it.

There we go. Now its a walk in the park :) just keep fixing the e brake communication line parts and youll get it.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
What I learned is I probably should have E11 Torx socket in my car.....So if something EPB engages, I can get under the car and undo the parking brake manually.