First Name
Ziyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ET-T MT
Country flag
Hello,

Same here for 2017 Sedan EX-T. I live in CT with salt roads in winter. Same worn-out rear rotors after 52k mainly hwy mileage. In fact they make some noise after rain and cold-start now...

I'm looking for replacement from tirerack, but not sure if these will fit with the stock caliper.

Comment on aftermarket rear rotor/pad set
Sponsored

Ziyang

First Name
Ziyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ET-T MT
Country flag
Well this sucks. Amazon Prime is telling me like 3 weeks until they can deliver that brake tool..
I wouldn't recommend that tool; it's not used in official SOP, and some people had EPB errors after using it. I'd recommend you go with the actuator method. Just get TORX E socket and T bite.
Gear kit for service You are also supposed to replace the O-ring after remove the actuator.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I wouldn't recommend that tool; it's not used in official SOP, and some people had EPB errors after using it.
Who had errors using it? Just wondering because myself, and every video tutorial I've seen used the wind back tool(with e brake off) and none of us had any problems. I realize this is not "by the book", but I can say first hand it works.

And the centric pad a rotor set you linked to above is the correct parts. Cheaper to get from rockauto. It's the same parts I used.

Last edited:

Ziyang

First Name
Ziyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ET-T MT
Country flag
Who had errors using it? Just wondering because myself, and every video tutorial I've seen used the wind back tool(with e brake off) and none of us had any problems. I realize this is not "by the book", but I can say first hand it works.

And the centric pad a rotor set you linked to above is the correct parts. Cheaper to get from rockauto. It's the same parts I used.
I can't remember...there are people posting the EPB error after setting it back with the winding tool in the forum...
Thanks for confirmation. I'll buy it soon ?

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I can't remember...there are people posting the EPB error after setting it back with the winding tool in the forum...
Maybe I am not searching deep enough, but I can't find these people who are having issues. I found paranoid people talk theoretically about there being issues. I tend not to be a paranoid person. In practice, I found numerous people here on the forums and in videos do it the way I did it and had no issues.

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
So to report back. I finally got the tool as per the Amazon link last weekend, finally had time today to do the brakes.

The instructions are somewhat unclear, is one supposed to remove the actuator, wind the Etorx thing back clockwise until its locked. Proceed with brake pad/rotor remove. Then once new pads are installed use the wind back tool to turn the caliper cylinder/piston back in order to slide caliper back over the new pads?

I am not sure is that universal brake caliper tool supposed to be in lieu of having to remove the actuator or its needed in addition to?

In either case, I did as I just asked about today. Turned the car to ON, activated the parking brake, let the parking brake off. Turned car off.

Restarted car and went for a drive all is fine.

abitolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 accord
Country flag
It could be that you are not servicing your caliper slider pins/bolts, caliper could be sticking at times ( not always) and overheating. Also if car sits for a day or two in winter with parking brake on it will start to leave little corrosion marks on the rotor that will get worse, I do tend to spray wash the area around the callipers in winter every few days at the car wash when weather is snow/slush. Just an idea.

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Did you happen to have your car rust proofed somewhere like Ziebart? I notice a thick coating of something over suspension components.
Sponsored