'16 Civic EX Starting Issues

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Have a '16 Civic EX, purchased brand new back in 2016. All original, no aftermarket stuff or accessories added to it.

The last few mornings the car seems to be hesitant to start. This morning I turned the key and it just click/tries to engage but nothing. Flip the key back, turn again and it starts. Everything is ON and running in the car when it won't start, no errors on the screen etc. Subsequent start ups appear to be fine and somewhat normal (still feels a bit hesitant).

Measured the battery with car off this morning after it sat outside overnight, 12.3V. Vehicle running just over 14.1V. Doesn't point at an alternator as it appears the battery is charging. Battery is original from 2016 but it also seems to be okay. Terminals are tight and clean.

What's your guys' thought? This is either a battery or starter issue? I am a bit surprised that after 4 years, 50k miles the starter would be bad? Searching online I can't seem to locate much info that starter was a failure just yet as the car is fairly new. Thinking of taking the battery in tonight to get it load tested and see what they say.

As the car is fairly new, I can't seem to locate any information but how involved is the starter replacement on these, if needed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
My vote is that the battery is dying.
Well I'm leaning towards the battery myself that when the load is applied on it, it just doesn't have the juice to go. So maybe a load test would be the best first approach?

FYI, I am located in Eastern Canada so as you can imagine we get cold winters and the last 4.5 years were not easy on the battery by any means. The car is a daily so it gets driven on a daily basis.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Have you checked your spark plugs? Battery voltage of 12.3v is still fine.

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Have you checked your spark plugs? Battery voltage of 12.3v is still fine.
Spark plugs never crossed my mind either with this low of miles. Why? Check what? The GAP? No way should they be worn at this point in their life?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Spark plugs never crossed my mind either with this low of miles. Why? Check what? The GAP? No way should they be worn at this point in their life?
You said it’s a 2016 right? You definitely should be checking on them especially if you’re not using quality gas.

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
You said it’s a 2016 right? You definitely should be checking on them especially if you’re not using quality gas.
Sure is a 2016. I'll check them visually, but what is the GAP that its supposed to be at for these vehicles and also what are the recommended plugs for this car?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sure is a 2016. I'll check them visually, but what is the GAP that its supposed to be at for these vehicles and also what are the recommended plugs for this car?
IIRC it should be 0.30-0.32 gap. Iridium plugs like Denso or NGK laser iridium.

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
IIRC it should be 0.30-0.32 gap. Iridium plugs like Denso or NGK laser iridium.
If it was the spark plugs, would I not get a constant starter turning/spinning sound trying to start the car?

My symptoms I don't even hear the starter after that first click or hesitant atempt to start.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
To find out if it’s the starter or battery , get someone’s car to jumpstart it. If you’re car doesn’t start, it’s the starter. If it does, the battery. I had a similar issue last year where my battery read good after turning off the car for a while. But then again the scan tools I had access to can’t read battery health. Only voltages. I wouldn’t trust voltages to indicate battery health. My car wouldn’t start after 8 or so sitting. I had to get Honda to warranty my battery since it died in 2 years they wanted to blame my aftermarket side markers for power leakage and tried to refuse my warranty.

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Just getting back from getting battery tested and it apparently tests good. Out of the 550CCA it puts out 560, now sure how much more than rated it should but it’s more.
Going to give the jumpstart a test tmr morning to confirm what it is.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just a final thought: If your current battery is OEM and was made in 2016; you've already lived a charmed life with it. Replace it now before the cold sets in. And good luck.

OP
OP

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Through more searching online I found a couple of threads one which lead to me getting to the starter and realizing that my valve cover gasket is leaking bad. The leak is from the rear os it cannot be seen easy from the hood but you have to get under it. In turn the starter is drenched in oil.

Here is some pictures of the unit on the bench. Quite a bit of oil in it, the grease is all over the place, some of it is somewhat hard. The brushes are also stuck in their housings and hard to move in out with the spring.

This one one here, which lead me to the next link: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2016-civic-starter-relay-location.50962/page-2#post-904830

Very similar symptom, starter looks identical to mine with all the oil etc. Others also reported same issue.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/she-no-cranky.55680/

Photos;

Honda Civic 10th gen '16 Civic EX Starting Issues 9044884E-BCC7-464F-96B9-DF6796D4AA25

Honda Civic 10th gen '16 Civic EX Starting Issues 55B59D84-3776-490E-9C5D-0814D4FA204F

Honda Civic 10th gen '16 Civic EX Starting Issues 61A3EFD7-0DF9-4B19-8B48-3845D9119C7F

Honda Civic 10th gen '16 Civic EX Starting Issues 94CA2DCE-90DA-4220-A7A8-365F977F4502

Last edited: