16' Civic brakes scraping sound

Focus198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Is it normal to hear your brakes on a 16' Civic? My civic only has 4k miles on it, fairly new, but after about 30 minutes of driving I hear a low scraping sound on my front brakes. I feel like it started ever since my emergency brake system activated once. Is it possible that the EBS somehow shifted my brakes or something to cause it to make a low scraping sound?
Sponsored

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
Is it normal to hear your brakes on a 16' Civic? My civic only has 4k miles on it, fairly new, but after about 30 minutes of driving I hear a low scraping sound on my front brakes. I feel like it started ever since my emergency brake system activated once. Is it possible that the EBS somehow shifted my brakes or something to cause it to make a low scraping sound?
It's not normal, period. Elaborate more on what you mean by"low scraping" sound. Squealing? Like when the brake pads are low and hitting the anti-squeal bar? Or metal to metal sound/feel? It's unlikely but the pads may have worn down unevenly and you're making metal to metal contact between the pad and rotor.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
What is more likely is that the dust shield has bent slightly and is shimmering, or there's a foreign material between the pad and the rotor.
Unless you're panic braking at every stoplight, there's very little chance that your pads are worn after 4k miles.

As ^ said, elaborate more - when do you hear this? gradual or heavy braking? Does the sound go away if you let off the brakes suddenly? Does your steering wheel wobble? If you brake hard, does the car pull to one side? Does your brake fluid smell burnt?

OP
OP

Focus198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
The sound I would describe like... as if you were dragging a shovel on cement. It isn't really loud enough for anyone else in the car to notice, but as the driver I do hear it. There is no squealing, definitely feels like metal to metal hard gritty sound.

I don't hear it as much when hard braking, only gradual. The sound goes away if I let off the brakes suddenly. The scraping does get audibly louder from when I apply the brakes up until I stop. Especially when I "ride" the brakes, when my foot is just lightly applying the brakes coming to a slow long stop, that is when you hear it most up until the vehicle actually stops. Steering wheel doesn't wobble, car doesn't pull to one side, and I don't smell anything. As far as I can tell, it is only the sound that is the issue.