JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I’m a month waiting already. It’s pissing me off big time.
Interesting. I'm up here in N.H. and my condenser came in less than a week after ordering. Repair was made 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Interesting. I'm up here in N.H. and my condenser came in less than a week after ordering. Repair was made 2 weeks ago.
The service manager called me this evening and said that the condenser will be in on Friday. Unfortunately, they can't get my car in till the 17th, but 10 days isn't so bad really. I was prepared for worse.

@zspeed Maybe you should call the dealership again and see what the holdup is?

Last edited:

Cali998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
My 2016 Civic was blowing only hot air so I took it in. Was told that there is massive leak with compressor and clutch coil needs to be replaced. Unfortunate that it seems to sidestep the extended warranty for the condenser.
Going to take it to a local mechanic for another quote (dealer wants $1600)...
Is this the kind of thing that should be handled by dealer?
Do I have any recourse because of how closely the AC issues may be intertwined?
(I know very little about cars)

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
My 2016 Civic was blowing only hot air so I took it in. Was told that there is massive leak with compressor and clutch coil needs to be replaced. Unfortunate that it seems to sidestep the extended warranty for the condenser.
Going to take it to a local mechanic for another quote (dealer wants $1600)...
Is this the kind of thing that should be handled by dealer?
Do I have any recourse because of how closely the AC issues may be intertwined?
(I know very little about cars)
Did it go from working fine to suddenly blowing hot air? Have you taken a look at the condenser? The condenser is located at the very front of the vehicle and can be seen when you look through the lower/upper grill. There are pictures showing what to look for earlier in this thread.

If the A/C went from working fine to not working at all then you likely do have a massive leak. The condenser warranty is for little microscopic pinholes, the refrigerant leaks over time and can take years (like my car) before you notice any A/C issues.

Personally, I only let the dealers do A/C work, especially with these cars using an uncommon refrigerant. If I knew of a reputable shop who was good with A/C I may try them, but I know of no such shops in my area.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
The service manager called me this evening and said that the condenser will be in on Friday. Unfortunately, they can't get my car in till the 17th, but 10 days isn't so bad really. I was preparing for worse.

@zspeed Maybe you should call the dealership again and see what the holdup is?
Yeah, I should give my service rep a call since she didn’t answer me after I sent her an email last Monday.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Yeah, I should give my service rep a call since she didn’t answer me after I sent her an email last Monday.
I say yes. My dealer was supposed to call me when the part came in but never did. I stopped in and the part was there.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
So I was told my condenser would be in last Friday, had an appointment for today. Dropped it off last night, just got a call that the condenser is on national back order no ETA. Complete waste of time.

I asked if they could at least fill up the system so I could have A/C, nope, because of environmental concerns. The whole point of the new YF refer is to reduce ozone depletion, which is does fully. It's the same as CO2. I know this isn't the dealer, stupid laws.

Has anyone bought the correct refer and filled theirs up manually? It's been in the 90s for weeks here, can't handle not having A/C.

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I was told my condenser would be in last Friday, had an appointment for today. Dropped it off last night, just got a call that the condenser is on national back order no ETA. Complete waste of time.

I asked if they could at least fill up the system so I could have A/C, nope, because of "environmental concerns".

Has anyone bought the correct refer and filled theirs up manually? It's been in the 90s for weeks here, can't handle not having A/C.
I saw a post here saying that he was able to buy from NAPA a can of Honeywell R1234YF for $31 each. But you need to buy the hoses with gauge as well in order to refill it.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I did some research, I'll just wait for now. 96 tomorrow and 98 on Sunday, looks like I'll be staying in...

Anyone gotten a condenser in the past few weeks?
Still waiting for mine to come.

Already called corporate yesterday and I’m hoping that they or the dealer will cover a part of the expense.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I saw a post here saying that he was able to buy from NAPA a can of Honeywell R1234YF for $31 each. But you need to buy the hoses with gauge as well in order to refill it.
Yeah I did some research, I'll just wait for now. 96 tomorrow and 98 on Sunday, 90s the rest of the week (just like the past month). Looks like I'll be staying in. I'm sure I'll get a call in October.....

I highly doubt the factories turning out new 10th gen Civic's are out of condensers.

lemic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
My 2016 EXT's AC first failed in July 2019, it was under warranty at the time so I brought it into the dealership, where they diagnosed a freon leak, they recharged the freon and sent me on my way.

Fast forward to April 2020, AC is blowing hot air again. Now that the car is out of warrantym they want a $450 diagnostic fee. I don't really have a choice in the matter as summer is right around the corner. I'm hoping it's the condenser that's faulty because of the extended warranty, but no, they say its the compressor. I pay out $1600 out of pocket to fix it.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday, AC starts blowing hot again. Bring it in, and this time they diagnose the condenser leaking. Ah but condensers are on a 1 month backorder!

I'm so frustrated with Honda and all of these dealerships. Feels like I'm being yanked around. Just wanted to share my experience.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I'm so frustrated with Honda and all of these dealerships. Feels like I'm being yanked around. Just wanted to share my experience.
I feel you, I was somewhat surprised when they came back after the initial diag saying it was the condenser. I was expecting them to get me on a compressor or something.

What really irked me was the service center not calling and cancelling my appointment when the part didn't arrive. I understand COVID has wrecked everything, but seriously, not even a call? Total waste of a day.

Hopefully it won't take too long for the condenser's to come in, my service guy said there are supply issues in China. I was surprised that the condenser was made there. Had they been made in America/Canada we may not of had this issue in the first place.

Good luck!

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The best thing to do is call/email their customer service in order to have a case. By this, a Honda representative will reach you and the dealership of your choice to discuss the situation. I know the hassle that we need to go through but when either American Honda or the dealership pays a part of the expense, I’ll take it rather than for me to pay 100% out of pocket.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I reached out to the dealer today, the condenser is still on backorder with no ETA.

Taking bets, October is my guess.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I reached out to the dealer today, the condenser is still on backorder with no ETA.

Taking bets, October is my guess.
Took me almost 2 months. Mine arrived last Friday and will be installed tomorrow.
Sponsored