Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
welp I just sold my car for $17,000 to a Honda dealer. I was going to hold off but my A/C stopped working before the grapevine on our way up to northern Cali. I had 3 of my dogs in my car and it was 100+ degrees. Poor things were suffering. I got to the 1st auto store I could find to get more Freon. I ended up realizing that I just needed to keep turning it off/on and it was better coming home. We needed a bigger car anyway with 5 dogs lol.

With all that said, I have a hose and Freon if anyone wants it. I live in the Orange County area in SoCal and I also work in Long Beach. So if anyone local needs this stuff, let me know. I have a hose, full Freon and one that we started to use to recharge but it was still full. This is a great community. Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's very kind of you to offer that. That's stuff isn't cheap in Ohio! I can't imagine what it costs per can in California!

welp I just sold my car for $17,000 to a Honda dealer. I was going to hold off but my A/C stopped working before the grapevine on our way up to northern Cali. I had 3 of my dogs in my car and it was 100+ degrees. Poor things were suffering. I got to the 1st auto store I could find to get more Freon. I ended up realizing that I just needed to keep turning it off/on and it was better coming home. We needed a bigger car anyway with 5 dogs lol.

With all that said, I have a hose and Freon if anyone wants it. I live in the Orange County area in SoCal and I also work in Long Beach. So if anyone local needs this stuff, let me know. I have a hose, full Freon and one that we started to use to recharge but it was still full. This is a great community. Thanks for all your help!

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's actually exactly what I paid here in Ohio. I would have thought It would have been much higher in California.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Seems like it's becoming a yearly ordeal for me. Driver side vent is blowing warmer air than the passenger side by a measure of 20-30 degrees at a minimum so it has to be leaking somewhere. Bringing it in tomorrow to see what they say. The extended warranty covered the compressor replacement last June.

Edit: it's the condenser, covered under warranty

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working Screenshot_20220810-134829_Chrome

Last edited:

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Welp, the issue is back. Not even a year later. Given I didn’t use the a/c during the winter, this is quite upsetting. Will make my way to the dealership sometime soon.

Fk7ismetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
We need to band together and include people outside of forums to see how many ac issues there are. The problem is totally with Honda’s supply/engineering choices. And the buyers are bearing the cost. With so many repeated failures there’s so little news about it. What would be a great car is ruined by faulty air conditioning. Was it a condenser problem? Because mine was at first, then it quickly became a compressor problem in a matter of months

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
We need to band together and include people outside of forums to see how many ac issues there are. The problem is totally with Honda’s supply/engineering choices. And the buyers are bearing the cost. With so many repeated failures there’s so little news about it. What would be a great car is ruined by faulty air conditioning. Was it a condenser problem? Because mine was at first, then it quickly became a compressor problem in a matter of months
They replaced the compressor on my car in 2021 when I brought it in for blowing warm air on the drivers’ side. Last year, they said it was the condenser, so that was replaced under the tsb. Luckily I’m still under my 8 year hondacare but the free extended 10 year warranty related to this issue only covers the condenser so that sucks for a lot of people if the compressor goes bad for them.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It's crazy that they are not even bothering to actually fix the problem. They are just throwing on the same garbage parts that'll get you 1-2 more years of service until you're out of warranty. The only way I'd buy another Honda is if they offered the 10 year complimentary warranty on the entire Ac system. Not just the condenser.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's crazy that they are not even bothering to actually fix the problem. They are just throwing on the same garbage parts that'll get you 1-2 more years of service until you're out of warranty. The only way I'd buy another Honda is if they offered the 10 year complimentary warranty on the entire Ac system. Not just the condenser.
how do you fix a manufacturing problem? The first few replacements back in 18 could have still had the defect but they were supposed to be sourcing new condensers that were not from the same lot as the defects after that.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By completely overhauling the system. If you are saying it can't be fixed, why would anyone ever buy another Honda?
lol, overhauling the system? There were literally defects in the manufacturing of the condenser that caused tiny holes to form in the condenser tubes and let refrigerant leak out in early 10th gen civics. New condensers were sourced and its not a problem on new civics or the with the replacement condensers that are being used now.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
lol, overhauling the system? There were literally defects in the manufacturing of the condenser that caused tiny holes to form in the condenser tubes and let refrigerant leak out in early 10th gen civics. New condensers were sourced and its not a problem on new civics or the with the replacement condensers that are being used now.
"Not a problem on new civic" Not YET. They haven't been around long enough to give me the confidence you have.

It's a major problem on the 10th gen. It's not just the condensers that are garbage, so are the compressors and evaporators. And there is no fix. They'll just throw the same garbage parts on it and you'll get maybe another year or two. My uncle is on his 4th condenser, and each time they told him "this is a new one and it's not a problem anymore". Yeah, right! Load of BS.

My '16 was due for a third condenser this past summer and also a compressor which they wanted to charge me $2k for. Forget that! I am not spending that kind of money only to have it crap out again in the near future. I traded the car in. Never again will I buy Honda unless like I said above, they give me a 10 year warranty on the entire ac system, not just the condenser.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"Not a problem on new civic" Not YET. They haven't been around long enough to give me the confidence you have.

It's a major problem on the 10th gen. It's not just the condensers that are garbage, so are the compressors and evaporators. And there is no fix. They'll just throw the same garbage parts on it and you'll get maybe another year or two. My uncle is on his 4th condenser, and each time they told him "this is a new one and it's not a problem anymore". Yeah, right! Load of BS.

My '16 was due for a third condenser this past summer and also a compressor which they wanted to charge me $2k for. Forget that! I am not spending that kind of money only to have it crap out again in the near future. I traded the car in. Never again will I buy Honda unless like I said above, they give me a 10 year warranty on the entire ac system, not just the condenser.
call a waaambulance bro. Have not seen major issues with the condensers on the 19-21 models. 11th gens been on the market for 2 yrs now. Since you traded the car in, guess its not your problem any more and and you can move on :)