'16 Civic A/C Compressor Issue, not Condenser

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
My A/C is blowing hot air and every time I don't run the A/C for 2 weeks (such as vacation or winter time), it seems to leak out the refrigerant. This has been happening since last summer.

My dealer wants $1,800 and they also advised me that there's a new design of compressor.

Honda USA said if you have condensor issue, the compressor maybe affected.

They denied any help at all because I don't have condensor issues.

Should I just keep filling the refrigerant and keep running it every 2 weeks?

I'm afraid the new $1800 compressor would still be bad (in 3-4 years) due to bad design. It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I still have to pay $279 "diagnostics" which I think it's ridiculous for throwing in the dye into the A/C system.
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
My A/C is blowing hot air and every time I don't run the A/C for 2 weeks (such as vacation or winter time), it seems to leak out the refrigerant. This has been happening since last summer.

My dealer wants $1,800 and they also advised me that there's a new design of compressor.

I'm afraid the new $1800 compressor would still be bad (in 3-4 years) due to bad design. It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I still have to pay $279 "diagnostics" which I think it's ridiculous for throwing in the dye into the A/C system.
It will leak out the refrigerant regardless of running or not running if you have a leak, I would probably get it fixed or stop refilling it entirely with new refrigerant because this new style of refrigerant (r1234yf) is less harmful for the environment, but it’s flammable. So I would stop refilling it only for it to be leaking into an engine bay where it’s hot and combustion is happening. To answer your potential next question on why Honda is using a flammable refrigerant.. government regulations since it’s better for the environment than the old r134a. Honda isn’t the only one using it either most modern cars from about 2013+ are switching over to the new refrigerant

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
The new refrigerant is expensiveeee! I’d say just replace the compressor, buy the part and do it yourself or buy the part and tell a local mechanic to install it for you.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
So $330 later for "diagnostics and R1234yf fill", I found that they didn't fill anything. I have a pressure gauge.

I'll be more pissed if I use my UV light tonight and don't see any dye. They should've done UV dye leak check at least to locate the leak.

As of now, I have a few cans of R1234yf. I used one to refill, and the pressure is higher now. A/C is working properly.

$130 (out of $330) for R1234yf fill - I'm glad I didn't spend $1800 with them.

Last time, one can fill lasted me 10 months.

I'll get R134a adapter and fill the system when I run out of R1234yf.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag

I had a 2016 that had a small hairline crack in a pipe that is about 10" long. It was hard for them to find. I Think they replaced the compressor the next summer as I recall. I lease all my cars so I don't pay real close attention to detail when things get fixed. It's all on Honda.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Just an update. My self-service fill nearly a month ago is still good and A/C is still cold.

It couldn't have been as bad as the cashier said....

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
is it safe to use old r134a?

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Frankly, I'm not concerned about R1234yf flammability. The videos show that its flammability is mild.

Hell, there are so many other things that is much more flammable....why aren't you concerned about that? Are you concerned about the gas tank under the back seat? Are you concerned about the gas line running to the engine? Are you concerned about brake fluid that's right in front of the driver?

People seem to be OK with R134a in the system. I haven't done this personally. So I can't confirm the longevity of the A/C system w/R134a.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
I'm more perplexed about how a more "safe" R1234yf is regulated and way more expensive than the "less safe to the environment" R134a, which can be had everywhere.....

If it's more safe to the environment, why regulate it?

And why does the "unsafe" stuff is unregulated?

:banghead:
Sponsored