11th Gen's are slower than 10th Gen's

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Why?

Here are some info from the top 2 auto mags...

Car and Driver:

11th gen Civic Touring Sedan: 0-60 (7.5 sec)
1/4 mile (15.8 sec @ 91 mph)

10th gen Civic Touring Sedan: 0-60 (6.8 sec)
1/4 mile (15.3 sec @ 94 mph)

Motortrend:

11 gen Civic Touring Sedan: 0-60 (7.4 sec)
1/4 mile (15.7 sec @ 91.4 mph)

10th gen Civic Touring Sedan: 0-60 (6.8 sec)
1/4 mile ( 15.2 sec @ 92.2 mph)

Weight difference= 130lbs ( 10th gen 2924 lbs, 11th gen 3054 lbs)

As you can see with all the data above, the 10th gen Civic smacks the 11th gen in every power metric while being down on power and torque. Is it the extra weight? I can't say it is because 130lbs difference shouldn't lead to a .6/.7 sec gap in performance. This doesn't bold well for the upcoming Si and Type R if their little sibling's predecessors are the better performing cars.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Si and Type R are designed for enthusiasts. They will obviously be improved. The dynamics and quality of the 11 th are improved over the 10th.

The lack of speed in instrumented tests for the regular civics is negligible. Especially for the intended consumer

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have some ideas on why the 11th gen is testing noticeably slower.

Back when the 2016 sedans and coupes were released, all the big media folks tested in the 6.6-6.8 sec range to 60. It was pretty consistent. The new 2022's are testing over a second slower in some tests and in real time, that's a noticeable difference.

Edmunds got 6.7 on their 2016 and 7.9 on their 2022:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tested-2022-honda-civic-is-slower-but-still-our-favorite.html

And considering the supposed power increase in the 2022's that seems odd even with the 130 lb. weight increase. But, I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Remember when Hondata tested the base turbo tenth gen and got eye popping numbers compared to Honda's official numbers? Clearly, Honda understated the car's power. I'm not buying that the 11th gen motor puts out more power than the 10th. Honda is just stating the numbers a bit more accurately. That's my first thought, especially with them saying it runs on 87.

Number two, this year's new Touring model that's being tested has a CVT without an L mode. Many reviewers mentioned that L mode gave the most consistent/best times when the 2016's were tested. Give a listen to Alex beginning at the 8:50 mark of this video:

Two other factors. Aerodynamics and unsprung weight. Just look at the shape of the cars. The 10th is wedgy and swoopy. The 11th more boxy. And finally, the 2022 Touring has 18's and wider tires versus the 2016's 17's and smaller tires.

Just theories of course, but like I said, nearly a second or more slower to 60 is a huge difference.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Uglier and slower.. sign me up! :rolleyes:
I'm with you. I can't even post my opinions over at the 11th gen forum without getting the hate from 11th gen lovers.

While I don't think it's ugly, I prefer the sportier 10th gen look and no matter how much better the 11th ride quality is, slower is a big no from me.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
? The new Si and Type R aren't even out. Save the tears for later. Nobody should be drag racing an LX, much less the heavier Touring. Enjoy the improved CVT and/or leather for what they are.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This gen might be slower, but the 12th gen is sure to be faster, with a hybrid or all electric. Still, glad i bought a 10th gen.

Apesc88

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport Hatch
Country flag
? The new Si and Type R aren't even out. Save the tears for later. Nobody should be drag racing an LX, much less the heavier Touring. Enjoy the improved CVT and/or leather for what they are.
That didn't age well, lol. Nobody complaining about the car, just stating the obvious crap that Honda is pulling on us all. You're telling me you are excited to see the slower 11th Gen, with a heftier price tag and less amenities and livable parts than the 10th Gen?
How about that the Base LX and Base Sport Hatchback models now have the 2.0 instead of the 1.5T?
And how the new models are all heavier and slower too?
And now that the SI is out, and slower than the 10th gen with crap for amenities (in the US), how did your comment age? Not to mention, a 10th gen stock CVT is quicker than the SI too lmao.
Not a good look, tbh.

abc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchvback Sport
Country flag
Yeah the Si in the US got a number of features removed from 10th gen, and from the Si they sell in Canada. I am not a fan of "Accord-ifyng" the Civic either and don't understand the reason of making two such similar cars.

I drove the 2.0L engine in a 2017 Civic LX sedan as well as the 11th gen Sport Sedan and I feel its fine -- for a $15k car. I'd take the 2017 LX any day for the price difference (pre-covid drove one from a private seller listed for $15k). The 11th gen interior is really nice, but I felt that the NVH isn't that great at highway speeds... vs the new Mazda 3 for example.
Looking forward for the 12th gen and I agree its going to be half a decade until that for sure.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
One of the tests I saw on the new Si pegged it as, ‘less total power, but a much more usable powerband’. So, smoother, in a nutshell…
Sponsored