FK7mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2007 335i, 2007 GSXR600
Country flag
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-next-gen-civic-hatchback-production-north-america/

February 25, 2018

For its 10th-gen Civic, Honda moved to a global platform that allowed us Yanks to finally take a crack at the Civic Type R -- a car that proved to exceed our lofty expectations. When news broke that Honda may shutter the UK plant where it's built, concern started to spread. But now, some news might send that concern back to the ether.

Honda will bring North American Civic Hatchback production to North America, Automotive News reports, citing confirmation from Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo. "Given our efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity on a global scale, we have concluded that we will produce the Civic for North America in North America," Hachigo told AN.

This is part of a greater shift in where Honda builds its global vehicles. It will end production of the current Civic Hatchback, including the Type R, in the UK and Turkey in 2021. Production will shift to Japan and North America, likely coinciding with the introduction of the next-generation Civic Hatch. Other variants of the US-spec Civic are manufactured in Indiana and Ontario, Canada.

But the commonly assumed reason for closing the UK plant, which supplies the US with its Civic Hatchbacks, isn't the real reason. Brexit may be on everybody's minds, but Honda said in previous interviews that Brexit isn't actually the reason. Rather, according to AN's report, a new trade pact between Europe and Japan has made it smarter for Honda to just ship the cars from Japan to Europe.

The Civic Hatchback may have been doomed in the US, had buyers not beaten Honda's sales expectations. According to an email from the automaker, the Civic Hatchback's variants comprise 20 percent of Honda's Civic sales volume, more than the automaker honestly expected. It appears that not everybody is sold on the idea of crossovers, and the extra versatility of a hatchback may keep some Civic buyers from jumping ship to something taller.
Sponsored

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I wonder if honda is going to build a new facility just for hatchbacks.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doubt it. They will either build them all in Japan - original reports said they were moving all the manufacturing to an existing factory in Japan (as Honda is also shutting down a factory in Japan as well), or now it seems they may split the manufacturing between Japan (for EU market) and either US or Canada (for US and Canadian market).

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
This might be a little off topic but I really hope honda considers an awd accord/civic. Other car manufacturers are having that as an option for their sedans and hatchback. The new mazda 3, ford fusion, all subaru besides the brz come to mind.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This might be a little off topic but I really hope honda considers an awd accord/civic. Other car manufacturers are having that as an option for their sedans and hatchback. The new mazda 3, ford fusion, all subaru besides the brz come to mind.
If hatch Si happens... im definitely trading my hatch sport. I highly doubt that there will be a Si hatch, it would interfere with the sales of Type R.

infiniteraiders

First Name
Taji
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If hatch Si happens... im definitely trading my hatch sport. I highly doubt that there will be a Si hatch, it would interfere with the sales of Type R.
That's my direct line of thinking. The have the hatch at the top and low tiers while the Si makes up the middle. I would be in the same boat, get rid of my Sport and get the Si Hatch.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
If they produce the hatchbacks in the US or North America, it’s much more likely we will see an SI hatch. One can hope.
THIS PLEASE! Literally the reason i didn't get an SI was because there wasn't a hatch version. Would 10/10 trade for an SI hatch instantly if it was an option.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree and i honestly think it will happen. Buyers want AWD, and going from an AWD car to FWD i can say there IS a difference. Adding it doesn't actually add an insane amount of weight and really you only need a switch to be "auto awd" for the ecu to detect when the extra traction is needed. But hell even the new altima has it because they knew adding it would keep the sales of that car up.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree and i honestly think it will happen. Buyers want AWD, and going from an AWD car to FWD i can say there IS a difference. Adding it doesn't actually add an insane amount of weight and really you only need a switch to be "auto awd" for the ecu to detect when the extra traction is needed. But hell even the new altima has it because they knew adding it would keep the sales of that car up.
I watch a video somewhere that Honda really consider the AWD when they develop the FK8. In the end they end up just sticking to fwd to keep what type r is known for.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're talking from either the enthusiast side or from a non-snowy climate. AWD is not the end all solution to snow, but being in a city that likes to have stop lights on hills i can assure you that FWD isn't the solution for the roads that are designed here. Unfortunately MN has had the 4th snowiest month of all time this feb and its really highlighted the downfalls of FWD on my civic compared to the AWD i used to have on the lancer. Minus the AWD issue the civic is 100x the car the lancer ever was, but when you get snow up to half the year, FWD just doesn't cut it. If they even copied toyota and did a part time optional electric AWD system it would be miles better. I don't think anyone wants a subaru style AWD system, we just want a switch for when we're stuck on hills.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If they even copied toyota and did a part time optional electric AWD system it would be miles better. I don't think anyone wants a subaru style AWD system, we just want a switch for when we're stuck on hills.
I'd want a Subaru style permanent AWD system. Way more fun for drifting around in the snow. I'm not too interested in a CR-V style part time AWD system.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd want a Subaru style permanent AWD system. Way more fun for drifting around in the snow. I'm not too interested in a CR-V style part time AWD system.
I agree that drifting in the snow is fun lol, but i think the part time system would be enough to up sales. personally i think the mitsubishi lancer style system is the best. FWD with a switch to turn on awd when it snows. Gas mileage in the summer and drift time in the winter.