11th GEN CIVIC TYPE R SPIED!!

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
Here's my take on the Accord theory.

First of all, this is NOT the type-R version of 2020 Accord. I'm 100% sure about that.
It is a 5 door hatchback. Body lines, while similar, are not identical.
"Similar" isn't enough. It has to be IDENTICAL to be the same car.
NONE of the interior pieces are even close to the accord's either.
Mirrors are completely different as well.
Also, Honda won't simply make a 5 door type-R variant of the accord.
It's waste of money.
CTR is 5 door only because there's hatchback variant of Civic.
If they didn't have the Civic hatch, the Type-R would have been Coupe or Sedan.

However, it's still possible that this is related to 10th gen Accord.
Front door and the Windshield are the two most obvious things that stay the same in Facelift/MMC.
It's hard to see how the windshield looks like and the door looks close, I guess.

1. Accord MMC Hatchback/Type-R
Let's say Honda decided to bring back the 5 door Accord for the refresh for some reason.
I don't see Honda dropping Accord Sedan so those new parts will be installed on the sedan too.
The thing is, that is a big change, and Honda doesn't do that.
Look at Honda's recent refreshes. It was mostly bumpers, lights and some new trim pieces.
This means new lights, bumpers, fenders, doors, mirrors, dashboard, door trim, etc.

2. Honda wants European Accord.
Maybe it's European Accord based on 10th gen Accord.
With more premium interior and different exterior design, and of course, with a hatch.
However, it's really hard to sell midsize cars in Europe.
Even European brands struggle with that.

3. A new model that sits between Civic and Accord
Maybe Honda wants a sporty high performance hatchback based on Accord.
Why? I don't know.

I know these are very unlikely scenarios.
But these are the only way I see how that test mule is an accord.

Or it can just be a 11th gen civic, or something completely different.
Sponsored

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The thing is, that is a big change, and Honda doesn't do that.
Look at Honda's recent refreshes. It was mostly bumpers, lights and some new trim pieces.
This means new lights, bumpers, fenders, doors, mirrors, dashboard, door trim, etc.
Honestly I thought the same thing. Honda never makes big changes between cycles, the Pilot keeps looking like crap, and all they do is change the lights and the rims. The new Accord launched in 2018 and its selling "decent" enough, that a huge change (a la 2016 civic) isn't likely.

It will probably be the new Civic, they are probably trying to save costs and using parts from the accord.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Because this is being teased/developed before the 11th gen base model civics, I really think What we are seeing here is the birth of a SH-AWD ILX Type S.
I also think it could potentially be a performance variant of the ILX. Probably not an accord since that body style just came out in 2018. It still could be a 2022 CTR judging by the front bumper design.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because this is being teased/developed before the 11th gen base model civics, I really think What we are seeing here is the birth of a SH-AWD ILX Type S.
? This is a fresh take.

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Make a FWD and call it Civic, put SH-AWD and call it Acura. Honda will be printing money.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
It. Has. Type. R. Seats. In. It.

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... What about a sporty version of the Accord Crosstour? Lol

99% sure It's not an Accord Type R. Honda have already said they don't want to dilute the Type R name. Also, the Accord isn't sold in the UK, Europe, or Japan, and I believe those are biggest markets for the Type R outside of North America. It's also not an Acura. On some spy shots you can see the outline of the Honda emblem on the grille, opposed to the Acura which is more rounded. Aesthetically I like what I'm seeing thus far. It looks lower, wider, and the rear overhang looks shorter. The aero pieces flow with the body instead of looking tacked on. I was hung up on the new Type S for next year but now Honda has me excited about the Civic again..
Small correction, the Accord is available in Japan from earlier this year, and China and South East Asia seems to be having it as well.

junktea1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR, Countryman
Country flag
I hate to say it but those pictures of the prototype look fake. The wheels do not match the angle of the body and seem to be pasted on with photoshop or some other image program.

lou430

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R BB, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2011 Honda CR-Z EX
Country flag
First impression it looks very BMWish. That can be a good or bad thing....for me its meh for now.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Acura ILX is getting a bit long in the tooth (being based on the previous Civic gen 9), so it could be the new ILX, which would be related to the next Civic (which is bound for a replacement as well).

I've noticed a trend with Type Rs that the engine-chassis develompment skips a generation. For instance, the current FK8 Type R shares its engine with the previous FK2 Type R, while the body is all new. The previous FK2 had a brand new engine, while the chassis was a (heavily) modified FN2. What I mean by this is that the next Civic will be a (heavily) modified version of the current chassis with all-new tech/engine.

A 4WD version would make sense, perhaps even a 4WD hybrid version? Competitors in the segment already have hybrids, I guess Honda will not want to miss that train...

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Could they be bringing back the Accord Type R? This definitely could be the car in the spy shots
A2.jpg

A1.jpg
It's a hatchback due to the rear wiper. Accord hatch Type R would be sweet! But I think it's a Civic.