First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
99.9% sure those are type r seats in the pictures. They look identical to current gen
Looking closer I think you're right

Pretty sure the hand in the picture is the passengers hand. Not the driver's hand. You can even see his face blurred in the pictures.

Also, given the styling of the rims and the design of the headlights, 99.9% sure we can call this a Honda, while different in shape, the headlights still share the same LED reflector and turn signal placement the current civic LEDs use. I hardly think the steering wheel design can determine whether this is a honda or not. Honda rarely uses the same steering wheel across models (there's always small changes)... also, look at the wheel in the new Fit and Urban EV and you can see similarities in the round center Airbag housing.. and maybe the new CTR has it's own design for the steering wheel.
Hmmm, that hand still looks like a right hand to me, that lifted finger got to be the pointer, I agree there's another person on the passenger seat, and like others suggested, maybe his/her hand just isn't holding the knob.

I agree to the LED headlight, but the rims are kinda generic...

Steering wheel is hard to tell, and I agree they could have a completely new design. But yea, they are small changes, like the current USDM Fit and the 9th Gen Civic, or 10th Gen Civic and the current CRV, even the Pilot and Passport shares the same kind of airbag.

The new Fit and the Honda e does have a similar circle airbag, but the spy picture doesn't show it has the details the Fit and e has, they have a pressed in circle with the horn mark on left and right...

Anyway, I just don't like the notion that this is for sure a new Civic Type R, before Honda actually admits it (or officially leak it), they can still make lots of changes, perhaps seeing how people is reacting now, they can just toss this design, especially seeing that hanging exhaust, this prototype just feel so far from production.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure you know what rule of thumb means,,,
It's been Honda's rule of thumb to bastardize the Civic and Accord to upsell you their Acura lineup. Didn't work too well for Acura though. People still preferred their ugly Civic/Accord to the uglier Acura.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The front vents look much bigger than an FK8, which makes me think it could be Honda testing some new Acura with the new 3.0 turbo.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
Wasn’t the next ILX supposed to be on the 5 door platform? I seriously think this could be an Acura product.

Rick495

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
The 2018 Accord was moved to a lengthened Civic platform. It would be very easy to graft Accord body panels on to the Civic mule. I hope they clean up the awkward rear shape of the hatch. There are too many contradicting line where the sedan is a smoother design. I hope they keep the coupe. But coupe sales have been dropping all throughout the industry.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It's been Honda's rule of thumb to bastardize the Civic and Accord to upsell you their Acura lineup. Didn't work too well for Acura though. People still preferred their ugly Civic/Accord to the uglier Acura.
As do you.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah im getting BMW vibes from the front at least. Doesnt look bad though from what I can tell, we'll have to see once the camo is removed. Im glad to hear that the Type R is still going though since theres been a lot of speculation that it would be cancelled.

Torino_85

Hector & Christine
First Name
Christine&Hec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got an eye sore just by looking at it.
Not impressive, however I’m more interested in the drivetrain, features, and last but not least HP.

kurokitsune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not fond of the exterior, but man that upgrade to the infotainment system is very much welcome

typeRtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
accord.png
typer.png

It shares a lot of proportion, style, and body shape with the accord that it just doesn't share with the Type R.

Look at the hard lines around the doors, particularly the panel gaps but also the rear of the rear door window.

The front end/nose also looks a lot more proportioned like the accord.

The thing throwing me off is the hang past the rear wheel is much shorter, but it still doesn't look like the Type R either.

You can also see the rear window/windscreen appears to be similar to the accord and is hard-affixed. There is no indication on this test mule that it is a hatchback. It looks like a straight up sedan to me, with a shortened rear end.

Would they have made the accord shorter for a Type R version?
Good comparison