10th generation long term ownership and relialibity?

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I would not worry much about Honda's CVT. Our 2007 Civic hybrid had a CVT, aka "rubberband", it was a horrible little whiny little engine trans combo.
Trade it at 140K miles, with no issue what so ever. 10 years later...I am sure Honda improved upon the CVT tech to make it better and last longer. The current Civic engine is more powerful than our 2007 hybrid (1.5L non-turbo), but I am sure the CVT is also beefier.
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
We could only speculate about long-term durability since the 10th generation Civic has only been out for two years. Honda has a very good history in this area, but Hondas don't have the "initial reliability" that they used to have previous to 2001. The "initial reliability" has fallen off considerably in the last couple of decades according to "Consumer Reports" members. It may have something to do with the death of Honda's founder. Regardless, it doesn't matter if most of the parts are durable if your car keeps breaking down and leaving you stranded. Reliability is as important as durability.

Add in all of the newer technologies (Infotainment, turbo-charging or IVTEC, TPMS, traction control, electronic stability control, electronic steering assist, Drive-by-Wire, Honda sensing, engine metalurgy,...) and you have a recipe for problems down the road. This is why I seriously considered getting a Corolla instead of a Civic, even though the Civic is in most ways a much better car. I keep my cars 15+ years. That is why durability and reliability are so important to me. Of course, if you plan on getting rid of the car in less than 8 years/150,000 miles, durability isn't much of a concern.

Last edited:

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
This is why I seriously considered getting a Corolla instead of a Civic, even though the Civic is in most ways a much better car. I keep my cars 15+ years. That is why durability and reliability are so important to me. Of course, if you plan on getting rid of the car in less than 8 years/150,000 miles, durability isn't much of a concern.
Toyotas are great from a reliability point of view; too bad their cars are usually half a generation behind in terms of "fun" (new Camry looks sweet though!). Anyway, it's up to the buyer's risk tolerance: would you rather drive a super reliable car that is "meh" for 7+ years, or a "fun car" that is more prone to hiccups here and there?

At the end of the day, it's still just a Civic (best one so far, no doubt), so when worse comes to worst, it shouldn't be that expensive to repair.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Add in all of the new technologies (Infotainment, turbo-charging or IVTEC, TPMS, traction control, electronic stability control, electronic steering assist, Drive-by-Wire, Honda sensing, engine metalurgy,...) and you have a recipe for problems down the road.
I had a 2006 Acura TSX, which I traded in for my Cvic. In the 11 years I had it, no problems with the iVTEC, VSA (traction/stability control), or drive-by-wire throttle. Honda used a turbo in the 1st gen RDX, and I haven't heard of any issues with that, and they've been using CVT's at least since they've been making hybrids - Insight, Civic Hybrid. None of these are "new" technologies - especially those ones I named that I had 11 years ago on my TSX. The infotainment system and Honda Sensing would be the only things I would consider "new".

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I had a 2006 Acura TSX, which I traded in for my Cvic. In the 11 years I had it, no problems with the iVTEC, VSA (traction/stability control), or drive-by-wire throttle. Honda used a turbo in the 1st gen RDX, and I haven't heard of any issues with that, and they've been using CVT's at least since they've been making hybrids - Insight, Civic Hybrid. None of these are "new" technologies - especially those ones I named that I had 11 years ago on my TSX. The infotainment system and Honda Sensing would be the only things I would consider "new".
Anything that adds complexity will reduce reliability.
That is why the Corolla is the most reliable car in the compact segment. It is simple with few changes from year to year.

It is also why when all of the new technologies were added to the 2016 Civic, you had an increase in the number of complaints.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/

The 2016 Civic had more complaints than the 2012 Civic, even though the 2012 has had 4 more years of wear and tear. The 2012 was the first model year of a new generation as well. The additional complaints were likely due to the number of changes and additional complexity of the newer car.

Last edited:

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One just has to weigh the risk they want to take with a car that has more tech, and is arguably a more interesting and fun car to drive, or own an appliance - it does its job, but brings little excitement when using it. Which is why I don't consider any American make, and hesitant of European makes. Some may have a great fun to drive factor to them, but the increased chance of unreliability makes me shy away from them.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Anything that adds complexity will reduce reliability.
That is why the Corolla is the most reliable car in the compact segment. It is simple with few changes from year to year.

It is also why when all of the new technologies were added to the 2016 Civic, you had an increase in the number of complaints.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/

The 2016 Civic had more complaints than the 2012 Civic, even though the 2012 has had 4 more years of wear and tear. The 2012 was the first model year of a new generation as well. The additional complaints were likely due to the number of changes and additional complexity of the newer car.
I think that's the par of the course for any brand. Complete redesign + new technology = dip in initial reliability.
Civic is also one of the best selling cars worldwide, so there's more problem cases in sheer number.

_HawK_

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
From what I understand auto manufacturers normally use turbos that are inferior in design. Aftermarket turbo systems can be far superior on all fronts. If the turbo does go (and it will eventually) then there is the opportunity for an upgrade. I will probably not keep my car past the 3 year lease. But someone who buys it can theoretically be in a position to noticeably improve the performance.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Define inferior. OEM products are for mass production use by "normal" people. If by inferior you mean it will fail before the warranty period is over, you're wrong. Even a large number of failures after the warranty period would quickly reflect in unhappy customers and decreased sales.

If you mean an aftermarket turbo will last longer or perform better, you may be right - but the data sample is miniscule compared to Honda Turbo sales (10,000+ per month compared to ? (several hundred per month).
And you have to do (or pay for) a one-off design, upgrade, install, and tune.

Last edited:

_HawK_

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Define inferior. OEM products are for mass production use by "normal" people. If by inferior you mean it will fail before the warranty period is over, you're wrong. Even a large number of failures after the warranty period would quickly reflect in unhappy customers and decreased sales,

If you mean an aftermarket turbo will last longer or perform better, you may be right - but the data sample is miniscule compared to Honda Turbo sales (10,000+ per month compared to ? (several hundred per month).
And you have to do (or pay for) a one-off design, upgrade, install, and tune.
By inferior I only meant inferior to aftermarket turbo systems. Honda manufactures quality products across the board. I bought a Honda Automobile after all.
Lighten up ffs...

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
The only issue I have had with mine was caused by an idiot hit and run moron. The car itself (so far) has been fine in every other way.
Sponsored