10th gen Si vs 11th gen Si...My ownership experience.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
This is just my personal take on the 10th gen 1.5T models versus the 11th gen.

Now that you see more and more on the road, the 11th gen looks have grown on me a bit. Still though there are literally times on the highway when I see one and not sure if it's a Jetta or something until it gets closer. It's handsome but so generic looking.

The 10th gen is so much more distinct looking. Sportier. More rakish. But looks are subjective.

The main area of disappointment for me is that Honda decided to release a slower car. Yes the 11th has more refined handling and interior design. I just can't get past the 7+ second 0-60 time in an 11th Si. IMO Honda's goal should have been 6 seconds flat. 7 seconds just doesn't seem "sport injected" to me.
I honestly think the handling outweighs the speed. It’s funny being it “feels” quick, but it’s not as quick as the 10th gen si. At the end of the day the civic si and type r have never been straight line cars but I see your point. I don’t think you can go wrong with either if you had to choose new or used. One gives you more low end grunt but dies on top. And the other gives you top end but not that surge of torque down low.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
One gives you more low end grunt but dies on top. And the other gives you top end but not that surge of torque down low.
This is exactly it. The 10th gen Si would die off right before 6000 rpm, but would pull very nicely from 3-5.5 rmp. The 11th gen is average low down but power starts to build nicely from 4k all the way to redline.

After owning both, I can honestly say I prefer and miss my 10th gen Si's engine characteristics (it also sounded better IMO). It made merging and passing much more effortless. But a drag/roll race would yield similar results, with maybe the 11th gen edging out the win cuz of its ability to pull longer towards redline.

Handling I'd give the 11th gen a slight edge. It handles better, no drama no fuss. Almost too surgical. The 10th gen Si felt more playful, more mischievous, much more fun in the corners IMO with much better steering feedback and response. I miss that car, the 10th gen Si is hands down the best car I have ever owned.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
This is exactly it. The 10th gen Si would die off right before 6000 rpm, but would pull very nicely from 3-5.5 rmp. The 11th gen is average low down but power starts to build nicely from 4k all the way to redline.

After owning both, I can honestly say I prefer and miss my 10th gen Si's engine characteristics (it also sounded better IMO). It made merging and passing much more effortless. But a drag/roll race would yield similar results, with maybe the 11th gen edging out the win cuz of its ability to pull longer towards redline.

Handling I'd give the 11th gen a slight edge. It handles better, no drama no fuss. Almost too surgical. The 10th gen Si felt more playful, more mischievous, much more fun in the corners IMO with much better steering feedback and response. I miss that car, the 10th gen Si is hands down the best car I have ever owned.
Have you noticed the top end of the 11th gen si feels like it wants to keep going past 6500rpm? Reminds me a lot of an FK8/FL5 top end.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The bottom line here is that there is always something to love about a previous generation Civic, or any Honda that keeps people driving them for decades.

They don’t take a previous design and copy it, then just improve on everything that the previous model had. Then that would just be a shittier version of the new car.

Each civic appeals to a different type pf person and what they want out of the car. The 10th gen Si is such an easy car to dance around anything in. Its styling is so aggressive that it makes people feel something when they see it; whether that is love or hate. The 11th gen improves where it needs to so it appeals to the people that couldn’t deal with the styling of the 10th.

The fact that we still get a car exclusively offered with a manual transmission is incredible.

All of Hondas cars become more popular as they age. They always have some characteristic that you just cannot get in anything newer.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
My Si coupe turns heads everywhere I go, they're relatively rare in my city.

Drove an 11th gen Si for a day and because they look like ugly and boring rental cars, nobody cares.

I don't drive my car to impress anybody but if my car is going to be as slow as a Honda Civic it should at least look good.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The bottom line here is that there is always something to love about a previous generation Civic, or any Honda that keeps people driving them for decades.

They don’t take a previous design and copy it, then just improve on everything that the previous model had. Then that would just be a shittier version of the new car.

Each civic appeals to a different type pf person and what they want out of the car. The 10th gen Si is such an easy car to dance around anything in. Its styling is so aggressive that it makes people feel something when they see it; whether that is love or hate. The 11th gen improves where it needs to so it appeals to the people that couldn’t deal with the styling of the 10th.

The fact that we still get a car exclusively offered with a manual transmission is incredible.

All of Hondas cars become more popular as they age. They always have some characteristic that you just cannot get in anything newer.
I like when people want to pull out from a business lot or whatever on road and see me coming down road either slow (not usually) or least around speed limit. I look at them and I wag my finger at them telling them don't even think about it (of course to shit cars/suvs) if actual fast car I'll let them slide.

• Haha
Reactions: JMM

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
You're probably be looking at 40K for an Integra which is ridiculous IMO. It's basically a dressed up Civic with a different badge.
It sucks cause there are some features I want and none of the entire Civic/Integra lineup has them all:

hatchback (without the super long Integra body)
Rear armrest
LSD

Nope, there’s no combo has all three. The closest is the 6mT Integra A spec but it looks huge and blobby. I like the look of the ITS but it loses the rear armrest, and I prefer the hatch body style.

so I don’t know what I’ll buy. Nothing from any other carmaker interests me, they’re all even bigger compromises.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
My Si coupe turns heads everywhere I go, they're relatively rare in my city.

Drove an 11th gen Si for a day and because they look like ugly and boring rental cars, nobody cares.

I don't drive my car to impress anybody but if my car is going to be as slow as a Honda Civic it should at least look good.
What is your opinion of the driving characteristics of the 11th gen Si vs 10th gen Si?

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
What is your opinion of the driving characteristics of the 11th gen Si vs 10th gen Si?
10th gen more low end torque but top end dies around 5500rpm, 11th Gen less low end torque but more top end so it encourages revving the engine out like previous si’s. 10th gen pulls harder stock for stock. It’s more exhilarating around 3k rpm when all the boost hits. It’s not a flat torque curve like 11th gen where it’s more focused on staying in boost earlier and staying in boost longer.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
With the gearing of the Si, I think 0-60 times are less important than just the feel behind the wheel.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
First, I do not want to knock 11th gen owners in the slightest. I've never driven the 11th or even been in one, but when I first saw the 11th, I wasn't even aware it was an Si. One thing that initially attracted me to my 10th gen Si, before I knew the characteristics of the model, was how it looked. Like the 10th gen Type R, you know it's a Type R. To me, you know the 10th gen Si because of the rear spoiler. I was a previous Civic and Accord owner so I know the quality of the brand, but when I went to the dealer "to just look around" and test drive it, I thought the car was badass and drove home in one.

As far as looks go, the 11th gen Civics in general just look kind of blah. No badassery going on IMO.

The difference in price was also an eye opener.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
First, I do not want to knock 11th gen owners in the slightest. I've never driven the 11th or even been in one, but when I first saw the 11th, I wasn't even aware it was an Si. One thing that initially attracted me to my 10th gen Si, before I knew the characteristics of the model, was how it looked. Like the 10th gen Type R, you know it's a Type R. To me, you know the 10th gen Si because of the rear spoiler. I was a previous Civic and Accord owner so I know the quality of the brand, but when I went to the dealer "to just look around" and test drive it, I thought the car was badass and drove home in one.

As far as looks go, the 11th gen Civics in general just look kind of blah. No badassery going on IMO.

The difference in price was also an eye opener.
They went from "boy racer" si coupe to an civic that is like an accord. It will appeal more to people that want something semi quick but doesn't look too crazy. I enjoy my 19 si coupe but can understand why most people wouldn't drive and that's because manual. Not many people care for manual anymore but I do and they should go more aggressive minor look changes in future 11th gen updates just because in my opinion people still driving stick want something that looks aggressive.

I still think 19 coupe is fastest si model still. 20's and on actually went slower to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
ValkenDnB's description is pretty accurate. My car has been Phearable so long that I kinda forget what a stock 10th gen Si felt like.
Sponsored