Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I been following this guy for a while. He had a Lexus back then and sold it cause it was expensive to mod. Decided to get a Civic cause it was cheaper and easier to mod. To my point I don’t blame the dude for wanting to push his car to the max. In the end it’s his money, he knew it was gonna break down eventually. No need to bash the dude lol. Saying he lives with his parents or what not. That’s none of our business. Now would I have done the same? Naw I’ll keep mine stock.
Hey, it's the internet, and it's all about opinions. A lot of us have the opinion the guy is an idiot. Others think testing and pushing and ultimately breaking your car is cool. Different points of view is all.

On the other hand, street racing at night in traffic and filming it for YouTube is 100% uncool.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maplestory

First Name
Kt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan crystal black pearl
Hey, it's the internet, and it's all about opinions. A lot of us have the opinion the guy is an idiot. Others think testing and pushing and ultimately breaking your car is cool. Different points of view is all.

On the other hand, street racing at night in traffic and filming it for YouTube is 100% uncool.

Completely agreed with you on the street racing.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
His power curve looked fine. Tuning arguments aside, his driving habits probably killed that motor 5-10x as fast as the average owner.

Church doesn't do additional TCF calibrations due to variances in wheel weights and corresponding rotational mass. What you see is output at the hubs (+ 9-12% w/o Si wheels).

I give him credit for being a pioneer to the platform and owning up to his faults. Even when things break, the community continues to learn.

Vtisi4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
385whp is way too much for stock internals. I am.not sure why He sounded sad, that is a pretty obvious outcome. I had a b16 84mm and stock i went 340whp after forged internals 765whp. An experienced tuner should have advised him better. Even with forged internals the max this little car will handle is about 450whp (guessing here) any more will probably brake the cylinder walls.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
385whp is way too much for stock internals. I am.not sure why He sounded sad, that is a pretty obvious outcome. I had a b16 84mm and stock i went 340whp after forged internals 765whp. An experienced tuner should have advised him better. Even with forged internals the max this little car will handle is about 450whp (guessing here) any more will probably brake the cylinder walls.
The dude wasn't sad. He was "trying" to make his video seem theatrical. I dont personally take any advice from him. I dont like the way his car looks nor would I use hondata. I do watch his videos every now and then for research. Vader Si is a lot nicer than his. TTorres has an okay set up but he is kinda boring. Youtubers with 10th Gen SI is a little rare. Its mad hard to find a quality DIY video for our cars. If only Chris Fix It did a clutch install video for my car, I would'nt need to hire someone else to do it.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
His power curve looked fine. Tuning arguments aside, his driving habits probably killed that motor 5-10x as fast as the average owner.

Church doesn't do additional TCF calibrations due to variances in wheel weights and corresponding rotational mass. What you see is output at the hubs (+ 9-12% w/o Si wheels).

I give him credit for being a pioneer to the platform and owning up to his faults. Even when things break, the community continues to learn.

i think it has less to do with the power curve but more to do with the lack of fueling due to running E85 :dunno:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its mad hard to find a quality DIY video for our cars.
I agree. Our DITY spot on the forum is pretty neglected. There actually is some quality DITYs in there if you dig that are worthy if a sticky but there's only a few stickies in the whole forum. Videos are pretty rare. I though of recording when I did the MTF a couple weeks back but I figured it was so simple, there was no need for it. Still... no sticky, even though there's a few great threads with pictures and part numbers for the crush washers.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
i think it has less to do with the power curve but more to do with the lack of fueling due to running E85 :dunno:
Without a datalog, no one really knows. My point was to add that he knew the risks, and fully embraced the consequences.

That said, his torque looked okay in the dreaded lower midrange, where our rods typically take the most abuse. We'll have to wait for a follow-up to see if he can share what he thinks happened. We do have several mules running similar if not more power (but without NEARLY as much full-time abuse).

385whp is way too much for stock internals. An experienced tuner should have advised him better.
I'm sure they did, and it sounded like he was simply doing it to flirt with the limits on the stock-ish configuration. Had they not, the tone of that video would have probably been much different lol. I suspect he was already looking at options to go built, long before that motor blew.

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
This incident could very well be related to an unkeyed crank. When the pulley & sprockets slip under high boost WATCH OUT...
An item that often gets overlooked; especially when upgrading the clutch.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I been following this guy for a while. He had a Lexus back then and sold it cause it was expensive to mod. Decided to get a Civic cause it was cheaper and easier to mod. To my point I don’t blame the dude for wanting to push his car to the max. In the end it’s his money, he knew it was gonna break down eventually. No need to bash the dude lol. Saying he lives with his parents or what not. That’s none of our business. Now would I have done the same? Naw I’ll keep mine stock.
If he puts his stupidity on the internet for all to see, I'm going to bash his stupid ass. I keep my stupidity private so people like me don't bash me

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Street racing is dumb for many reasons, one reason people don't talk about is that it really doesn't mean anything. For real results, you need a controlled environment - there are places that you can take your car to and roll race/drag race. Better yet, since our cars have wonderful chassis, why not take it to the track? Time Trials? SCCA has a new time trial program, can't wait to go to a bunch of them.

As for the blown up engine, what's the point? these are FWD cars, you're going to struggle to put down the power. Get a used Mustang if you're looking for straight line speed.

HexSosa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't really care what anyone chooses to do to "Their" car as it is "Theirs", the way it looks, the mods you do, the videos you make is all personal preference. What I do wonder is you are making all these power mods to race for a quarter mile stretch on a public highway before having to hit the brakes for fear of slamming into another person?

The fact that he is claiming the so called races if you can call them that are being held in "Mexico" is a ridiculous point as if it matter which roads you are doing this on. Don't get me wrong If I had that type of power and encountered a wide open stretch I might be inclined to let the engine growl but if you are making this kind of power or trying to push the limits go to a track, get some times, show us you can drive and quantify the results. Sketchy race videos on YouTube only quantify one thing and that is this guy clearly has no clue as what he is really doing besides gathering attention for his channel as we are hearing discussing it as a result of his recent video. Its clear that he thinks speed is cool but with no obvious suspension mods for handling other than maybe coils for lowered stance and no brake upgrades for stopping all that power its clear he really doesn't care about real performance and a balanced build.

I can't speak to his driving prowess either but I would gather its also minimal as it would be cool to see this power applied in a setting where you can really see it used in corners or on a track day or race driving day set-up to see if it really moves in a situation like that. Anyways I've had enough

To Each his own!

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
This si didn’t blow up because of the internals. It blew up because he ran full e85 with hondata. Complete stupidity. You can’t run full e85 on these cars.

OP
OP

simonjr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 2002 Honda CRV Ex 5spd
Country flag
You can tell the guy is a little nuts simply by looking at the front of his car. o_O
I strongly agree with you. Not a big fan at all of the ricey canards or the tacky rear diffuser that I guarantee, have no aerodynamic efficiency to them at all. But to each his own.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Street racing is dumb for many reasons, one reason people don't talk about is that it really doesn't mean anything. For real results, you need a controlled environment - there are places that you can take your car to and roll race/drag race. Better yet, since our cars have wonderful chassis, why not take it to the track? Time Trials? SCCA has a new time trial program, can't wait to go to a bunch of them.

As for the blown up engine, what's the point? these are FWD cars, you're going to struggle to put down the power. Get a used Mustang if you're looking for straight line speed.
Street racing is actually big money here in San Jose as well as LA where I grew up. My brother lives near a city called Carson (right next to Compton, you remember EZ-E?) where street racing is a big business, so much so that the cops are paid off. You could make anything from $1500 to $10K a night, they do it openly, I have even seen cops sitting a block away while it's happening. I used to always wonder how these people could afford such expensive cars and mods, blown engines and shredded tires, well that's how. I don't think this guy was part of organized street racing, as the street racers do it in isolated areas such as business parks
Sponsored