10th gen civic type r shifter

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey SI owners was wondering if anyone has installed a Oem Type R shifter in an Si. I work for an automotive repair shop and the shifter is super cheap but I’ve heard mixed things about it some people say way worth the money 25-30% shorter throw others say not worth. Also if installed did you also add aquity parts and if so what parts.
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey SI owners was wondering if anyone has installed a Oem Type R shifter in an Si. I work for an automotive repair shop and the shifter is super cheap but I’ve heard mixed things about it some people say way worth the money 25-30% shorter throw others say not worth. Also if installed did you also add aquity parts and if so what parts.
There are a few threads on this already. The 2017-2019 R shifter will reduce the throw some and the 2020 R shifter reduces the throw even further and the top of the shifter lever is about 1" lower on the 2020 assembly.

I had the 2020 Type R shifter with the Acuity Rocker Arm, Acuity Shifter Base Bushing, and the Acuity Centering Spring. Also have the Acuity Shifter Cable Bushings installed on the tranny side. Def recommend all these parts for a fun daily driver.

I eventually upgraded to the full Acuity Adjustable Shifter, but IMO, it's kind of overkill for a daily.

The "Stage 2" Type R kit is perfect.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I have a si with the 20’ type r shifter. The throw is shorter than stock but still retains an oem smooth and slick in operation. Plus you have no worries of damaging you fore and aft cable.

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have a si with the 20’ type r shifter. The throw is shorter than stock but still retains an oem smooth and slick in operation. Plus you have no worries of damaging you fore and aft cable.
Do you have any of the aquity goodies I feel for 224$ For the aquity goodies plus the shifter id rather just spend an extra 50$ for a hybrid racing shifter

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
There are a few threads on this already. The 2017-2019 R shifter will reduce the throw some and the 2020 R shifter reduces the throw even further and the top of the shifter lever is about 1" lower on the 2020 assembly.

I had the 2020 Type R shifter with the Acuity Rocker Arm, Acuity Shifter Base Bushing, and the Acuity Centering Spring. Also have the Acuity Shifter Cable Bushings installed on the tranny side. Def recommend all these parts for a fun daily driver.

I eventually upgraded to the full Acuity Adjustable Shifter, but IMO, it's kind of overkill for a daily.

The "Stage 2" Type R kit is perfect.
I feel for $224 for the type r shifter aquity goodies I should just go hybrid racing

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I feel for $224 for the type r shifter aquity goodies I should just go hybrid racing
That $224 is including the shifter cable bushings on the trans side.

If you just wanted just the base bushings, spring, and rocker, you're looking at $160. Plus the cost of your discounted CTR shifter. I'd say it's WELL worth it. But it's your money and your decision!

I have the full adjust Acuity shifter, but if I could do things over, I would've kept my 2020 CTR Shifter + Acuity Stage 2 FK8 kit.

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

If you just wanted just the base bushings, spring, and rocker, you're looking at $160. Plus the cost of your discounted CTR shifter. I'd say it's WELL worth it. But it's your money and your decision!

I have the full adjust Acuity shifter, but if I could do things over, I would've kept my 2020 CTR Shifter + Acuity Stage 2 FK8 kit.
Thank you for the information! Between the type t shifter and a hybrid racing

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
I installed the 18-19 CTR shifter and wish I had put in the new one. But it was still an upgrade, along with full Acuity parts.

Last edited:

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag

do you know if the '20 Type R shifter is even shorter than '18-19?

Hazzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes, the '20 Type R shifter is shorter than the '18-'19 Type R shifter.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
do you know if the '20 Type R shifter is even shorter than '18-19?
Yes, the '20 Type R shifter is shorter than the '18-'19 Type R shifter.
As @Hazzard mentioned, the 2020 R shifter is shorter than the 2017-2019 R shifter.

Both in terms of throw AND height. The 2020 R assembly shifter rod is almost 1" lower than the older one. So you shift knob will sit lower. The rod lever also extends down lower from the pivot point compared to the old rod, which in turn reduces the throw travel.

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Could I just instal the shifter it’s self with no aquity and still have a decent throw difference or is it not worth?

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Could I just instal the shifter it’s self with no aquity and still have a decent throw difference or is it not worth?
Yes, you can install just the shifter and you'll get a shorter throw than the Si. Recommend at least the Acuity base bushings ($25) with it. Cheap enough and noticeable difference.

You could always do the Acuity Cable Bushing ($70) at a later time.

SiGeddy

First Name
Geddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Just did mine today with the acuity stage 1 kit and type r sub assembly pre 2020.

If you're gonna replace the sub assembly get all the acuity upgrades because you're probably not gonna want to do it again lmao it was time consuming.

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic type r shifter 20200609_134249

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic type r shifter 20200609_151641

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
It is noticeably shorter than the SI and the pre-2020 CTR shifter. For the cost, you really cannot beat what it offers.
Sponsored