10th gen Civic chassis is lighter?

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
Is the 10th gen's chassis actually lighter than the 9th men's platform to start with?

Hoping it is because all this added tech and longer wheelbase and extra insulation etc. add weight.
Sponsored

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
That's a good start.
Is the 10th gen's chassis actually lighter than the 9th men's platform to start with?

Hoping it is because all this added tech and longer wheelbase and extra insulation etc. add weight.
It happens with a lot of new cars now. The reduction in weight is needed just to counter all the creature comforts. If it were to put on 50-100 pounds I wouldn't complain since we are getting a LOT of new features on the Civic X but luckily I think it has already been said that it will be lighter (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

OP
OP

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
The announced increase in power is great but we don't have the other important part of the equation - the weight increase or decrease. That's why I asked about the chassis weight. Curb weight is the spec I'm anxious to hear about. This isn't a race car or anything where every little pound matters but it still has effect on acceleration, handling, feel, and gas mileage... even more than just HP.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
That's a good start.

It happens with a lot of new cars now. The reduction in weight is needed just to counter all the creature comforts. If it were to put on 50-100 pounds I wouldn't complain since we are getting a LOT of new features on the Civic X but luckily I think it has already been said that it will be lighter (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
It's the ever-increasing IIHS and NHTSA crash standards that really pack on the pounds.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
It's a slightly larger car, plus it has more features, soundproofing, etc. And so my guess is that total weight will actually go up by a small amount. Maybe 50 pounds? But given the nice increase in power, the new Civic will surely be a lot faster than the old one.

Last edited:

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
It's the ever-increasing IIHS and NHTSA crash standards that really pack on the pounds.
Yeah and to be honest I wouldn't feel very safe in a sub 2500 pound car against all the 4000+ pound monster SUVs out there. The Civic has never felt heavy to me so I'm happy if it just maintains about the same weight as the last coupe of generations.

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Fair point but whatever weight the 2016 models come in at I'm expecting 5 star crash results and a Top Safety Pick again by the IIHS like the 2015 model was.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Fair point but whatever weight the 2016 models come in at I'm expecting 5 star crash results and a Top Safety Pick again by the IIHS like the 2015 model was.
Yes. I think we can expect the new Civic to be the safest car in this class.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
It's a slightly larger car, plus it has more features, soundproofing, etc. And so my guess is that total weight will actually go up by a small amount. Maybe 50 pounds? But given the nice increase in power, the new Civic will surely be a lot faster than the old one.
Not to mention it is lower, wider and has a sleeker profile. Along with better aero, it just looks faster :thumbsup:
Sponsored