HondaPowerr

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sport
Country flag
I have a automatic with cvt transmission but they also gave me paddle shifters which i only use to go down in gear to slow down faster. Its not like a redlining down shift it just seems to slow down quickly. Anyways, anyone know if those paddle shifters are good on the cvt transmission? Seems like it isnt good i dont know why i get that feeling though
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Can't hurt anything engine braking. Plus the paddles add slightly to the fun factor.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Sounds like youre using the paddles for their intended purpose. It’s just a way to simulate a gear shift by allowing you to decide when the CVT changes its ratio to raise or lower RPMs.
Using the paddles allows you to keep the RPMs within the powerband more efficiently when the CVT wants to hold revs or hasnt decided to make a ratio shift on its own yet.

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
yes it can, your engine is not a brake, and shouldn't be used as one,

your engine is to make you go, your brakes are to make you stop
So... if you drive a stick, you shouldn't downshift to slow down? Because that's technically what engine braking is, right? Or am I mistaken?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
yes it can, your engine is not a brake, and shouldn't be used as one,

your engine is to make you go, your brakes are to make you stop
Possibly one of the most misinformed posts I've ever seen at CivicX. And you've had quite a few of those especially regarding tuning.

Engine braking in certain circumstances is the right choice to slow you down without using the brakes. It's efficient and saves wear and tear on the brakes. No one is talking about coming to a dead stop.

Congrats. You're well on the way to the CivicX Hall of Shame.

Feel free to read this and learn:
https://vatire.com/car-maintenance-tips/what-is-engine-braking-and-why-is-it-important/

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Possibly one of the most misinformed posts I've ever seen at CivicX. And you've had quite a few of those especially regarding tuning.

Engine braking in certain circumstances is the right choice to slow you down without using the brakes. It's efficiant and saves wear and tear on the brakes. No one is talking about coming to a dead stop.

Congrats. You're well on the way to the CivicX Hall of Shame.

Feel free to read this and learn:
https://vatire.com/car-maintenance-tips/what-is-engine-braking-and-why-is-it-important/
Or this or this or this or this or this.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
weird.i used to engine brake a lot in the old kenwoth tractor/trailer.pop it down into 12th,hit the jake brake and scare the fire out of whoever was nearby...LOL

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
weird.i used to engine brake a lot in the old kenwoth tractor/trailer.pop it down into 12th,hit the jake brake and scare the fire out of whoever was nearby...LOL
Fortunately context matters. Gasoline engine braking is literally taking your foot off the gas pedal, causing the throttle plate to close placing the engine under vacuum to slow down.

The extension of that we're talking about is simply downshifting periodically as you are slowing down via foot-off-gas. If you have a CVT or other automatic transmission, downshifting is absolutely not additional wear on the transmission.

If you are driving a manual, provided you rev-match the downshifts it is not additional wear on the clutch, either.

Your engine will be rotating no matter what you do. Foot-off-gas does not wear the engine any more than foot-on-gas, or driving in general. It's a many times over debunked myth.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
no, you use your brakes to slow you down, that is what they are there for,

once you are slowed down, you select the appropriate gear to match the speed you are going
"If you shift into lower gears in the process, your engine's tendency to slow down will intensify the effect of engine braking. ... While the effects of engine braking are generally more pronounced on a car with a manual transmission, they can also be utilized on a vehicle with an automatic transmission."

While you can take advantage of engine braking, in automatics its adds to the wear and tear of the CVT transmissions. I would rather replace my brakes than a CVT transmission to be honest. But jerryvvv is completely wrong. The proper use of engine braking is to reduce the use of brakes. Down shift then brake. Not the opposite like this amateur suggests.

Unless of course you are already at high rpm's. Then its a no brainer. Tap the brakes then downshift.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
no, you use your brakes to slow you down, that is what they are there for,

once you are slowed down, you select the appropriate gear to match the speed you are going
If you live in a hilly area you want to use engine braking especially in the snow or did you ever hear of a jake brake on a semi or air brake trucks which is engine braking

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Literally everyone saying engine braking is bad for the transmission or increases wear on the CVT, enjoy all these excerpts from the owners manual about..... Engine braking with the CVT.

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic 1.5t CVT transmissiin question Screenshot_20200630-064415

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic 1.5t CVT transmissiin question Screenshot_20200630-064454

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic 1.5t CVT transmissiin question Screenshot_20200630-064508

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic 1.5t CVT transmissiin question Screenshot_20200630-064521

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic 1.5t CVT transmissiin question Screenshot_20200630-064536

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen civic 1.5t CVT transmissiin question Screenshot_20200630-064551

Engine braking isn't worse for the transmission than normal acceleration at the same rate the engine braking is slowing you down. Why do you think somehow magically it's worse than giving the car gas?

If the engine braking is slowing you down at a rate of 3 MPH per second, it's no more wear than accelerating (pretty slowly, too) at 3 MPH per second.

I mean, hell, Nissan CVTs are programmed to monitor your braking and increase RPM for increased engine braking automatically.

When Nissan CVTs fail, it sure ain't because they engine braked.

I think for some reason naysayers are thinking we're saying to downshift to extremely high RPM. We're not. Downshifting to 3000-4000 RPM gives plenty of engine braking to assist with daily driving. I guarantee you rev it above 3000 RPM on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Be careful guys. You know how this works. Someone that doesn't know any better will be travelling at a high speed on highway in a manual transmission, and downshift to the lowest gears to help 'slow down the car faster'. That won't end pretty.

Then they'll come here and say you all said it was ok.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have manual and i always use engine to slow down no problems after 20+ years of doing so, it is actually a vacuum inside cylinders that slows you down... no problems with clutch wear either...

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
i have manual and i always use engine to slow down no problems after 20+ years of doing so, it is actually a vacuum inside cylinders that slows you down... no problems with clutch wear either...
Uhmm, we’re talking about the CVT here not the manual transmission.
Sponsored