First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was under the impression that dirty oil was good when it came time to change the oil. Shows the detergents are doing their job removing particles from the engine. On the other hand, I've never seen "clean" oil come out of a car...regardless of the mileage...3k, 5k, 10k, it's always the same ugly color.
Sponsored

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Clarity Touring and 2021 Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
That engine is too valuable to push the envelope on a oil change! Why would you do that?

xmikedentx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si, 2016 Tacoma TRD 4x4
Country flag
Black stone says push it to 12k. I’d trust them, and Amsoil says 15k-25k on their oils. 10k is totally reasonable. Thanks for posting the oil analysis!

OP
OP

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
This would be my 3rd oil analysis on this car with the same brand of oil and filter. From the looks of it. I will keep using the same oil and filter brand. I had it tested at 6k, 8k and now 10k. It gives me a peace of mind that my engine is still protected if I don’t get the chance to change my oil at the usual 5-6k. The question about oil brand and change intervals been discussed many times in numerous car forums and articles. It’s nice to know that there will be no harm to the engine if pushed the oil change just a tad bit longer. At the end of the day. It’s your car and you can do what you think is best. Happy motoring. :drive:

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Hmm, oil looks really dirty. I won’t do that to my car but thx for sharing though.
As I'm sure you've already read, one of oil's purposes is to catch and suspend combustion particles, and clean the engine. If "new" looking oil comes out of your car at 5k miles it isn't doing its job.

while visual inspection outside of sludge pouring out wont tell you condition of the oil, smell might. If you have strong a strong fuel smell you may have gas in the oil which is no good for lube. Gas in oil is probably the thing one would worry about in a long interval change. But as shown here, it's not an issue on this particular car.

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
i was thinking about changing my oil for the first time at 1000 miles. but after reading this I'm not going to. I'm just gonna let it ride till the minder tells me to change it. ill continue being gentile for 700 then ill just assume its broken in and drive normally, witch for me is not very hard anyway.

xmikedentx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si, 2016 Tacoma TRD 4x4
Country flag
i was thinking about changing my oil for the first time at 1000 miles. but after reading this I'm not going to. I'm just gonna let it ride till the minder tells me to change it. ill continue being gentile for 700 then ill just assume its broken in and drive normally, witch for me is not very hard anyway.
I dunno, I like to get all the wear metals out of the crankcase. I changed mine at 500, then 1500, then 7500. THEN go long, depending on your oil.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I dunno, I like to get all the wear metals out of the crankcase. I changed mine at 500, then 1500, then 7500. THEN go long, depending on your oil.
There was a bulletin stating that the oil should not be changed prematurely and should only be changed when the minder came on.

GAS2HI

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R & 2006 S2000
Country flag
I only had 3700 miles on my oil and minder said I still had 40% oil life on the original oil. The car was put into service 1 year ago to the day that I got oil change. The problem is that the “recommended” service intervals says when the service light go on or 1 YEAR! I did not want have them void my warranty because I failed to follow their “recommended service”, even thou my car only 3600 miles on the oil. My dealer says the oil should be changed at 5000 miles..( crazy)and I showed them the oil life still was at 40%, so no need to change the oil ? ( I told them if I stored my car and put ZERO miles on the car for the 1 year period , you would want to come into have the oil changed?? My concern is keeping the warranty valid as I have the 8/120k extended care plan and don’t want to give them any excuses to not cover future problems .

GAS2HI

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R & 2006 S2000
Country flag
I only had 3700 miles on my oil and minder said I still had 40% oil life on the original oil. The car was put into service 1 year ago to the day that I got oil change. The problem is that the “recommended” service intervals says when the service light go on or 1 YEAR! I did not want have them void my warranty because I failed to follow their “recommended service”, even thou my car only 3600 miles on the oil. My dealer says the oil should be changed at 5000 miles..( crazy)and I showed them the oil life still was at 40%, so no need to change the oil ? ( I told them if I stored my car and put ZERO miles on the car for the 1 year period , you would want to come into have the oil changed?? My concern is keeping the warranty valid as I have the 8/120k extended care plan and don’t want to give them any excuses to not cover future problems .
Also, American Honda was no help as they said it is up to the dealer!!!

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Also, American Honda was no help as they said it is up to the dealer!!!
Bud. Calm. Down.

You will not void your warranty for an early oil change or waiting until the percentage is close to 10%, chill out. Maintenance minders are just that, to remind you to maintain your vehicle. The oil change interval does not have an algorithm for really anything other than time and mileage.

I have 21k miles on my R and have done 7 changes due to a ton of different reasons... like track days, oil cooler install, and the car sitting. It’s overkill absolutely, but fresh oil and a filter will never harm an engine. Is this your first car?

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
There was a bulletin stating that the oil should not be changed prematurely and should only be changed when the minder came on.
im thinking about sending the oem oil to blackstone too and see what they think of that stuff, if its a special break in oil it might be interesting.

Chumbaloo

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civic type r grey
Country flag
10k miles intervals. Maybe if you drive like a grandma and stock but if highly modded and tuned I don’t go over 4-5k. Then again I beat the shit out of my R cuz that’s what I bought it for and modded af

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
10k miles intervals. Maybe if you drive like a grandma and stock but if highly modded and tuned I don’t go over 4-5k. Then again I beat the shit out of my R cuz that’s what I bought it for and modded af
My car begs to differ
Sponsored